BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #45
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
but only in the 135i it will be possible while the ESP is turned off and it will work in a special way to optimize sportiness, removing power from one wheel in order to transfer more power to the other wheel in the same axis...
It has not been confirmed that the system will work with the DSC turned completely off. The 335i forums claim that it is shut off when you completely disengage DSC. Since its the same system, it is most likely to be shut off as well in the 135i when you full disable DSC.
      10-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #46
Dr. No
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 135i (E82)

My answers:

zba857:

ESP stands for Electronic Stability Program or Electronic Stability Control (ESC). It is the original name that Bosch gave to the system that BMW calls Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). In Europe is the most common way to refer to that technology since it is the most extended commercial name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...bility_Control

MPower:

According to the info released to BMW to the European press, the new 1 Series E-LSD will work even with the DSC turned off. It is a standard function of any EPS that usually is no available when you turn it off. The novelty here is that this specific function will be always on (even with DTC and DSC turned off), working similar to a mechanical LSD in a car with ESP turned off. This new function will be exclusive to the 135i and the 123d (it seems that the 120d will definitively not include it, I do not know if the next models to be released in Europe/USA (125i/128i) will include the E-LSD).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #47
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

O I C Yea i have heard of ESC and DSC but not ESP.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 04:16 AM   #48
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I heard the same thing - the ELSD will work when ESP/DTC is turned OFF.
In Europe, the 335i does not have ELSD functionality, which is why you can see the inside wheel spinning up.
FYI - the Porsche Cayman S also comes with an ELSD.

Of course some power will be lost as heat is generated, but then heat will also be generated in a mechanical LSD unit. The difference in the LSD unit will be that it has some oil to reduce the heat build up.

I agree that this will have a negative impact on brakes, and will not be as efficient as a mechanical LSD - which is why I plan to go to Hartge for the Quaife unit as I mentioned in my previous post. I just wanted to point out that the ELSD will have more or less the same effect as a mechanical LSD - helping the car to accelerate the car out of corners. There is no denying it comes with some downsides (you pay for what you get as usual).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 04:52 AM   #49
Dr. No
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 135i (E82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_UK View Post
I agree that this will have a negative impact on brakes, and will not be as efficient as a mechanical LSD - which is why I plan to go to Hartge for the Quaife unit as I mentioned in my previous post. I just wanted to point out that the ELSD will have more or less the same effect as a mechanical LSD - helping the car to accelerate the car out of corners. There is no denying it comes with some downsides (you pay for what you get as usual).
I am just thinking that installing a mechanical LSD might be tricky. You will probably have to disable the E-LSD first.

BTW, do you how much for the Quaife ATB differential? It would probably be worth like one for the 130i hatchback but i do not know how much is it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #50
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
I am just thinking that installing a mechanical LSD might be tricky. You will probably have to disable the E-LSD first.

BTW, do you how much for the Quaife ATB differential? It would probably be worth like one for the 130i hatchback but i do not know how much is it.
The 335i version is ~1500 Euros, so I would expect a similar price. I guess the LSD and ELSD could work together - since the mechanical LSD should limit the slip from happening, which in turn should limit the need for ELSD to cut in. We will have to wait for the tuners like hartge to sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #51
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
i saw a movie of the 135i on a testrack. I saw one wheel smoking. There is youre answer to an electronic lsd it s rubbish.
What are you saying?!:bs:

In that case the Opel GT could never be getting all that smoke out of the wheels since it DOES have a LSD!

Smoke out of an Opel GT
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #52
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
i saw a movie of the 135i on a testrack. I saw one wheel smoking. There is youre answer to an electronic lsd it s rubbish.
Well it also could have had it turned off...:iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #53
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

If it remains on when DSC it turned off, I'll be satisfied with it. Otherwise, what's the point? DSC won't really let you get the tail out anyways.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #54
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Where's the link to this famed "movie"? I'm sure we would all like to see the 135i on a track. I don't believe any have surfaced yet (that I know of), other than some random Nordschliefe clips, none of which were with smoking rubber.
Appreciate 0