BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #199
///Morgan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dakelone, on my local dealer they are recommending Mobil 1 0W-40 as engine oil. This oil meets the LongLife requirements stablished by BMW.
I live in Chile and our temperatures should be similar to the ones in California.
Is there any specific oil with its corresponding part number that I should ask them to order for the BMW 1M? Our cars are Euro versions.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #200
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Morgan View Post
Dakelone, on my local dealer they are recommending Mobil 1 0W-40 as engine oil. This oil meets the LongLife requirements stablished by BMW.
I live in Chile and our temperatures should be similar to the ones in California.
Is there any specific oil with its corresponding part number that I should ask them to order for the BMW 1M? Our cars are Euro versions.

Thanks in advance!

Mobil-1's 0w40 LL-1 oil is fine. Any oil that is Long Life-1 (LL-1) is ok for the USA(North American) market.

In Europe BMW says to use LL-4 oils because of the low(to no) sulfur in the fuels here. In the USA the fuels have high sulfur, so you need to use LL-1 oils there. So I guess the question is what kind of fuel do you have in Chile ? Either way... I think as long as you change the oil more frequently than bmw says too... you will be fine.

The reason why I like to use Castrol RS Edge 0w040 LL-4 oil is because it really makes the engine run cooler(two needle widths lower on the gauge) and more importantly the engine is sooo much quieter with Castrol. I noticed my engine made far less metalic noise on cold starts and even when warm... then when I was was using Mobil-1 0w40 LL1 oil in my car. IF you can find the Castrol oil or even the BMW dealer oil... I would run that instead.

This is where I buy my oil from over here in Germany. They are by far the cheapest place I have found. They even sell the BMW dealer oils too!

http://www.oelwelt24.de/catalog/Moto...5f2ac3ce17e8ee

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #201
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Morgan, I live in Chile like yourself, in Santiago. I understand you are close to 2000 km. service like me. Well, if u noticed my previous and various posts or threads about BMW Chile or WBM, just be careful with these guys, I am almost thinking giving up my warranty advantages and doing everything myself or in a workshop just to have more control about what is going on. They just don't know nothing about this car, they are always too busy and worse they pretend that they know everything better than us.

But if you go with them please post or PM me about what actually happened. You are the first other 1M owner that I noticed in this Forum who is from Chile and I see that you are a member since 2008, so maybe you also have much more experience in Chile than I do. If you PM me we can also meet sometime and share our experiences, I would like that as well.

Dackel's key point is something I was already trying to figure out, the type of fuel here, is it with high or low sulfur, I couldn't confirm it yet, I hope you have better contacts and you can tell me. And lastly Chile is similar but also a bit cooler than CA averages, you have quite real winters here and sharp differences in temperature season wise or day to night, so unless you will be tracking this car frequently (where you can do that I don't know!) I would go with number 1 choice for our cars, the 5W 30 oil instead of 0W 40.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #202
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
...Dackel's key point is something I was already trying to figure out, the type of fuel here, is it with high or low sulfur, I couldn't confirm it yet...

Is there a corperate structure for BMW in Chille? Maybe you could ask who ever imports BMW's to Chile. ?

I think the only countries that have low sulfur fuel is in Europe. Everywhere else has high sulfur fuels from what I understand.

Also... LL4 oil is backwards compatible to LL1 oil. Meaning where LL1 is spec'd... you could also use LL4 oil instead of. But you can not use an LL1 oil where LL4 is spec'd!

I think IF you go with short OCI (oil change intervals) this whole Long Life oil rating is moot. But still... I am using an LL4 oil here in Germany, in my US spec car, because we have low sulfur fuels in Germany/Europe.

Btw... I fully understand you wanting not to use your dealer's services. I would be "like minded" as well. Do your services yourself (or have an indo shop perform them)and keep good records and use BMW parts and approved fluids - and you should be fine. I would also suggest you buy a good code reader like the BT tool - for any problems/hicups down the road. Don't wiat until something crops up. Have a scan tool on hand.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #203
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Thanks Dackel, I might be doing exactly that soon. And the only reason I am not asking the fuel thing from BMW Chile is because I am really tired of their incompetence and plain bs, maybe they know this particular info. and it would be so easy to get but I have no trust left for them.

There is only one way that I am going to let them do the service anyway and that's if they let me physically watch and supervise it! Yes, I am serious and after some of the apologies that they had to make and some more they still owe to me, I may have a chance because they know they screwed a lot of things big time and whenever they started arguing with me I ended up being the one who was telling the right thing But if they will be square enough not to let me monitor then, like u say, that's my car and I'll take care of it myself as long as I can.

For anyone who is curious what exactly they did you can go back and search my various posts in different threads but not necessary really, just an example: it took a week for me to convince them that 1M needs a 2000km. service and the first service is not at 10000km. You know how? By reaching the aftersales unit in Germany and making them send me a confirmation mail about this! The 15 or so 1Ms that they say they have sold in Chile owe me at least this one
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #204
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Not sure if this has been answered in any thread or not .. of the people who had their first oil change done already, did you drop off your car and then get a loaner or did they tell you it would only take about an hour so have a seat and wait??
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #205
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_g View Post
Not sure if this has been answered in any thread or not .. of the people who had their first oil change done already, did you drop off your car and then get a loaner or did they tell you it would only take about an hour so have a seat and wait??
Was offered a loaner but whole thing only took a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #206
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
David...are you sure that link is correct? Tried but no connection.

I'm at 1100 miles and starting to prep for my fluid changes....
      02-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #207
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
David...are you sure that link is correct? Tried but no connection.

I'm at 1100 miles and starting to prep for my fluid changes....

Here is the correct link Rick. Not sure why the one I posted above stopped working.

http://www.oeldepot24.de

click on: PKW and then Hersteller. They have Castrol RS Edge and even the BMW full synthetic oil they sell at the dealers.

Castrol RS Edge 0w40 oil that I use...
http://www.oeldepot24.de/catalog/ind...cPath=22_35_24

BMW made oils...
http://www.oeldepot24.de/catalog/ind...cPath=22_35_27
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #208
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Hey like many of you I'm looking to have a few extra oil changes along the way in between the 15000 mile changes. I was curious about a few things.

Will you guys be changing all fluids each time? (i.e trans, diff, engine)

Since changing the fluids won't the oil be renewed w/ the computer on the car? So will I ever be able to get my annual free oil change since the computer says I just got one done?

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #209
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
Hey like many of you I'm looking to have a few extra oil changes along the way in between the 15000 mile changes. I was curious about a few things.

Will you guys be changing all fluids each time? (i.e trans, diff, engine)

Since changing the fluids won't the oil be renewed w/ the computer on the car? So will I ever be able to get my annual free oil change since the computer says I just got one done?
The other fluids dont need to be changed every time you change the oil.

Changing the oil doesnt affect the annual change, thats based on date of service.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #210
slvrxi
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46s, E36/7 M, Yamaha R6

For the record, manual transmission fluid replacement is not required at the 1,200 mile service. Per service bulletin 00 01 10, transmission fluid is changed out around 30,000 miles. The same time your "vehicle check" should be due.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #211
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrxi View Post
For the record, manual transmission fluid replacement is not required at the 1,200 mile service. Per service bulletin 00 01 10, transmission fluid is changed out around 30,000 miles. The same time your "vehicle check" should be due.
Obviously you haven't read the thread. According to BMWNA, you are correct, but for the rest of the world it is recommended at the break in service. Most North American 1M owners are changing the tranny fluid at 1,200 miles as a precaution. Will this service prolong the life of the tranny? No one really knows, but for peace of mind it isn't an expensive service and for some it is free.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #212
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Obviously you haven't read the thread. According to BMWNA, you are correct, but for the rest of the world it is recommended at the break in service. Most North American 1M owners are changing the tranny fluid at 1,200 miles as a precaution. Will this service prolong the life of the tranny? No one really knows, but for peace of mind it isn't an expensive service and for some it is free.

+1.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #213
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Gave a call to my dealer to inquiring about what exactly will be done for the first service and was told "engine oil, scope, and diff oil" and that is all. My understanding is the trans fluid also needs to be changed? is this correct? Can anyone recommend a dealer in Jersey that has done the first service correctly. please.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #214
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_g View Post
Gave a call to my dealer to inquiring about what exactly will be done for the first service and was told "engine oil, scope, and diff oil" and that is all. My understanding is the trans fluid also needs to be changed? is this correct? Can anyone recommend a dealer in Jersey that has done the first service correctly. please.

^^That is EXACTLY what BMW NA says to do for the first service on a 1M. IF you want the trans fluid also changed... it will be on your dime.

BMW AG says to change the tranns fluid (along with the oil and diff luids, here in Germany) - since nothing is free over here and this first service runs about 500 euros or $660 Usd for everything.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #215
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Took my 1M to German BMW dealer on Friday for unrelated issue and the service desk guy stated my 2000km service was due. I asked what was going to be serviced and he said engine oil. I asked about the rest of the fluids and he said, no, not required....

But since I'm paying for it anyway, I scheduled all fluids to be changed and I'll bring in the docs you all have so generously shared! Thanks!

Will keep you posted.
      02-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #216
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Took my 1M to German BMW dealer on Friday for unrelated issue and the service desk guy stated my 2000km service was due. I asked what was going to be serviced and he said engine oil. I asked about the rest of the fluids and he said, no, not required....

But since I'm paying for it anyway, I scheduled all fluids to be changed and I'll brind in the docs you all have so generously shared! Thanks!

Will keep you posted.

Rick, You should ask him how many 1M's he has serviced! I don't think many dealership personell know what is required for the 1M - since it is a sort of hybrid of 135i & M3 bits. Many dealers use the wrong engine oil. Well... at least YOU know what is required and make sure they use teh correct fluids.

I know at my (tiny)German dealership - I have the only 135i that they work on. They just sold their first 1M to a German customer. It should be delived soon. When I asked them a few months ago about rear diff fluids... at first they were not sure what was required - now they know, thanks to me. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #217
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

After months of glancing at this tread, i finally decided to take a peek (my position was that I had confidence in my Ad and their service dept)...BUT ALAS!! wrong diff oil!! I spent hours on line trying to do more research but got no resolution/ info on availability of the "correct fluid".
I called in this AM and I am happy to report that this whole thing has a very simple explanation:
Part # 83 22 1 470 080 IS THE SAME STUFF AS # 83 22 1 427 993.
The diffecence is that the originally posted "correct diff oil" is the 55 L container supplied to the dealerships and the part numbers listed on the invoice are the 500cc bottles. There was a shortage of the 55 liter containers at the begining which lasted for months hence the 500cc bottles were used.
I even got them to fax this info over to me to keep for my records.
...If this info is a re-post then I'm terribly sorry for the waste of a post.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #218
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence View Post
After months of glancing at this tread, i finally decided to take a peek (my position was that I had confidence in my Ad and their service dept)...BUT ALAS!! wrong diff oil!! I spent hours on line trying to do more research but got no resolution/ info on availability of the "correct fluid".
I called in this AM and I am happy to report that this whole thing has a very simple explanation:
Part # 83 22 1 470 080 IS THE SAME STUFF AS # 83 22 1 427 993.
The diffecence is that the originally posted "correct diff oil" is the 55 L container supplied to the dealerships and the part numbers listed on the invoice are the 500cc bottles. There was a shortage of the 55 liter containers at the begining which lasted for months hence the 500cc bottles were used.
I even got them to fax this info over to me to keep for my records.
...If this info is a re-post then I'm terribly sorry for the waste of a post.
providence, when I search that P/N I get no results found.

I have yet to find a P/N for the non-FM diff fluid for individual use (1 or .5 liter containers).

Anyone have any luck?
      02-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #219
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
providence, when I search that P/N I get no results found.

I have yet to find a P/N for the non-FM diff fluid for individual use (1 or .5 liter containers).

Anyone have any luck?
No luck after trying last PM. But I think the shortage is over... The dealership has it in stock (so I was told). I have a pretty convincing list of corresponding PN's will post later/tomorrow if this helps...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #220
///Morgan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dear Dackel:

I come across this post again as I have been talking again with my dealer because I want things to straight up.
They are using on the M3 the Castrol 10w-60. I was reading about it and realize that it is labeled as an oil that has exclusive approval for BMW M models. The local service manager answered me that they don't use this oil on the 1M as it comes with an N lettered engine and not an S one.
Are they correct? I mean, I know my car has the N54 engine, but Should I use this same oil?
Should I order the Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4?
On the fuels aspect, I don't really know about the sulfur they contain, but anyway I change the Oils very frequently (< 5000kms).

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0