E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car finally arrived but with wrong options, what to do?

06-12-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Angry Car finally arrived but with wrong options, what to do?

Saturday was a big day for me as I was about to pick up my first BMW. After 9 weeks of waiting and endless price battles with dealers accross the state, my SG 6 speed 325i finally arrives. I left home with friends and a huge smile.....

2 hours and 100 miles later, I finally see my car...everything was good till I looked through the windows....WRONG TRIM ?!?!?! :mad: :mad:

I was told it had Aluminum trim but received a dark wood trim (it has black leather interior). So this car was not a custom order. I was about to place a custom order but the dealer told me he has the EXACT car I wanted already coming in (in 3 - 8 weeks). So i decided to just get the one in transit (less wait, same car). We went over the options and he said it had aluminum trim. So i made up my mind and put a deposit on this car.

My question is, anyone know how much it will cost to replace the interior trim? Labour cost and parts cost? At the dealership it went from "the car only comes in wood trim" to " only the 330i has aluminum trim" to "last time I checked it was $1000 to replace the trim" ....

Luckily the manager came out, and told me that he might be able to replace the trim for me. But I will not get my deposit back regardless.

So honestly the people at the dealership were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful, ....everyone makes mistakes. - understandable.

Im am supposed to find out on Monday if he was able to replace the trim or not. Is this possible? Anyone know the cost if doing so? Does the original trim get damaged during the process?

Thank you very much guys, this forum has been a great resource really !
Skimo
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
HiTEC
Rep
Drives: 2004 Audi A4 3.0

I wouldn't take it, I'd make them order another one. Look at it this way. You're spending a lot of money on the car, so get what you want.

I've factory ordered my last 3 cars, and I don't know why I didn't start doing this years ago. I've always accepted what was on the lot, and it was never exactly how I wanted it. Last 3 cars have been exactly how I wanted them (every option available). The problem is, the dealers always want to sell you whats on the lot, so it can sometimes be a pain. ;-)

Get the car you want!! It's worth waiting.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

They should replace it for free. All it takes is about 10-15 minutes to switch trim with another car. I've seen this be done a couple times at our local dealership. The trim pieces just snap in so it shouldnt be a problem. $1000 for trim replacement is rediculous, especially since it's not your fault they screwed up.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Thomas
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e Touring

It seems to me that the dealer made the mistake, so in my opinion the dealer should replace the trim for free.. The alu-trim costs (in Holland) 460 euros that includes tax, so I guess that an alu-trim in the states should cost about the same in dollars + the labour costs for replacing it..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
ldpantoja
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 330i (E90)

I seen the aluminum trim for $ 500 on ebay. I will look for the link and post later!!

2006 330i / SG / SP / NAV
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Sounds like you are keeping calm with the BMW people. That's good. And pretty hard to do under the circumstances.

I would imagine that the trim should be able to be replaced without causing damage. And if you have an order confirmation that states you ordered the aluminum trim, then I would expect the dealership to bear the cost.

Next question is could you live with the wood trim? Is is a big deal for you? If it's a show stopper, then that is one thing. If it's not, maybe it's time to negotiate a compromise. If the dealer is faced with a cost of trim replacement, maybe you could reduce the cost for him BUT get him to throw in something that (to you) is more important than the trim. Just a thought.

I hope you did not take delivery of the car if you plan to push the issue in whatever direction. Makes it harder to negotiate.

If you have, and things get tough, your next steps are to BMW USA.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice/info guys! I did not take delivery. I think the way I'll go is letting the dealer replace the trim at their cost. Crossing fingers.....

I would order another one....but just cant wait 10 more weeks!

The reason I am not all in rage is because this is really the first time I ever come accross a "good salesman". The guy is a really nice guy down to heart, and was very helpful through out the 3 month buying experience. And he even admitted his mistake. All this is making it more difficult for me.....moral values are starting to kick in (at the wrong time !). Any other dealer I would be

I am clueless has to how BMW dealerships work. Anyone know how much "negative impact" this will cause to the salesman with relation to his job/manager ? (assuming they carry the cost burden?) This is a point I would like to consider when making m decision.

Once again,
Thanks

Last edited by skimo; 06-12-2005 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

This has been my fear ever since I ordered my car because I couldn't decide on which trim I wanted. I had to call the dealer right before they sent in my order with my final decision. I was kinda flip flopping between alum and burl. I guess I will se when it gets here!
      06-12-2005, 10:14 AM   #9
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
<snip> Anyone know how much "negative impact" this will cause to the salesman with relation to his job/manager ? (assuming they carry the cost burden?) This is a point I would like to consider when making m decision.

Once again,
Thanks
You are a nice guy! Here is a way that might be good for you. Call him and tell him your intention is to require the trim be changed. Quickly say something like "I guess your manager will not be too happy with you over this?" as a question. This will give you some information.

No matter what he says, don't jump in and make a commitment to accept the trim. Think about it.

It truly is not your problem, and if it's important to you, you should have what you ordered. You'll remember this decision every day you look at this trim.

If you really want to limit the impact for the sales guy, ask him what would reduce the pain for him. "Reduce", not "eliminate". He may offer something you like!

If you both win, you'll both be happy!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

Skimo: I applaud your patience....I think I would have had a meltdown...esp. after being told my deposit wasn't returnable....that's just wrong and in fact illegal here in CA. But you're right....it's a mistake or at very worst the SA didn't think the trim was a deal killer and he overlooked it. They should just offer to swap the trim out on another vehicle at no cost or significant delay to you. Maybe they can order the trim and you could bring it back later for the swap-out. Good luck............PS...I hate wood trim in cars.

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
I don't understand why your deposit isn't refundable. On my order slip,it cleary states that it is by either the dealer or you. Especially since you didn't sign any other paper work and take delivery of the car. Maybe the laws are different in Texas?

JohnF, I'm not too sure he has an order confirmation saying he ordered metal trim b/c he didn't place an order. His SA told him verbally that he had one coming so there was no need for a order.

I would see if they will replace the trim for free since everything else on the car is the way you want it. If they don't, demand your deposit back from the manager and explain tothe SA how sorry you are that the deal dell through. Ultimately, he will understand.

But either way, this sounds like an honest mistake and I'm glad your treating the SA kindly.

Good Luck!
Danny
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #12
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

stock can be titanium matte or wood right? and then aluminium is the upgraded expensive option?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
AZBob
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mazda6

Happened Twice

I ordered my first e90 ED and got the letter stating the options on the car. My sales guy left off my Xenons. Well, somebody pulled some strings and they built me a second car. I never got a letter from BMW w/ respect to options. Anyway, A few weeks ago I arrive in Munich and you can imagine my surprise when I open up the door of my new car and the wood trim is Burl Walnut (not Poplar as I ordered). So, I'm essentially in the same boat needing a wood trim changeout. My sales guy is a super nice guy but this whole lack of attention to detail has me p***ed off.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sounds like there was a mistake and the dealer was trying to cover their own ass instead of trying to give you good service. I would ask them to look around everywhere for any other cars coming in like yours that they could trade this one for. I am pretty sure that Black/Aluminum interior cars are around quite a bit.

Also, your deposit is ABSOLUTELY refundable. I would say they are treading on dangerous waters if they claim it is not.

Good luck figuring it out.
      06-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #15
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

Armen, the guy is in Texas...maybe the deposit rules are different there. If the Bush family has anything to do with it then the consumer loses. OK, that might be a bit extreme.

Weiweiwei: Titanium matte isn't sold on US cars. 2 woods and one Alum.

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #16
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

They owe you a car

Skimo:

Make them order a new car for you. Your car, the way you want it. If they replace the trim who knows where the trim will come from. You'll probablykeep this thing for a while and you should love it. If you can wait a few weeks, have them put in a rush order, use their clout with BMW, do anything they can to get you your car asap.

Bummer, but good luck.

sparky
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 02:24 PM   #17
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC

JohnF, I'm not too sure he has an order confirmation saying he ordered metal trim b/c he didn't place an order. His SA told him verbally that he had one coming so there was no need for a order.
Very right. However, I did have everything on email. I actually printed out the email b4 getting there. But I didn't have to even pull the papers out, the SA just straight admitted that he goofed.

Right now its a waiting game till monday(a very looong sunday it is). Anyone who has not received their cars yet I would advise 3 lessons learnt: 1) if you are not custom ordering, make sure you have EVERYTHING on paper.
2) check your deposit laws in your state.
3) casually ask them what happens if you get wrong options/ damage in your car. Because you haven't signed or payed anything yet, and since they are trying to win your business they will immediatly say something along the lines of "we will replace it for free" or "your deposit back" etc etc.. now they cant go back on their own words if the worst does really happen.

Good luck and thanks !
Skimo
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #18
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

hay next time go through the fleetrates.com (i think thats what it is) the 330's there is 33000(not exact) base!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #19
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well then he should have asked before-hand whether the deposit was refundable or not. I asked at every dealer I spoke to in CA and they all told me it was 100% refundable no obligations whatsoever.

I don't plunk down $1000 without knowing what the T&C's are. That's good advice for anybody, anytime.
      06-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #20
Freudefahrer
Rep
Drives: E90 330i ZSP

The paper they give people when they order cars at Advantage BMW in Houston clearly states "If I cancel for any reason, my deposit will not be refunded." Not sure if it's the same where he bought his car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 01:58 AM   #21
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
It's definitely NOT a Texas thing. Deposits policy is solely the discrection of the dealerships. I've never had to actually give any dealer my money, ever. Once, for a Lexus dealership, I wrote them a check for $1000, but only as a gesture of my commitment. They never actually cashed it. I always tell the dealership up front I'm obsessive about my money and I don't like parting with it!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #22
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep

The thing is, he already gave me my deposit back once before (3 months earlier when I was getting an e46 and deicided to go to e90). And I did ask them if it were refundable or not. They said yes. All of a sudden, they decide to say no?

Anyhow, the good news is they found another car with Alu trim and they are going to get it switch it out. He also offered to deliver the car at no cost, which I thought was nice of the dealership(since it is about 100miles from where I live). I asked him, are you delivering it on a flat bed or towing it? he said "No, I am driving it to your place"

WOW....I am not sure if I am over reacting, but who would want his new car drivin by a stranger for 100 miles?
Appreciate 0