BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Performance Exhaust...what to expect

Im getting the Performance Exhaust installed on my 128i Saturday!...for those of you that have it already, what can I expect to notice after the install? I know it will sound a bit better but Im looking for more detail in sounds and drive feel. Youtube vids I found don't sound much different compared to stock.Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Similar tone as stock, just much more pronounced yet still tame for day to day driving. It will pop and gurgle on decel and overall just sounds a thousand times better.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

^^^ OP, look forward to reading your honest review/opinion of the change. I'm on the fence with the purchase, myself. I love ear candy, but I would be annoyed if the PE would lose considerable low end torque.

Generally, all open (flow through) exhausts offer less back pressure, which would compromise exhaust scavaging, and thus would lower low end torque.

The OEM specs say you gain 5 hp & 3 ft/pd of torque @6600 rpms. I could believe that, but I'd hate to lose more than that, where we typically drive, below 6600 rpms.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

B

Last edited by BenDiem; 12-03-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

^^You really think BMW is going to produce a performance part that lowers performance? You sir are...nevermind.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofopps View Post
^^You really think BMW is going to produce a performance part that lowers performance? You sir are...nevermind.
Know your shit before you bash someone. Some exhausts actually LOOSE torque at lower RPMs due to decreased backpressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

I drive a 135is so I never got to compare the stock exhauset with BMW's PE. I can however chime in with a few impressions.
1. Cold Starts sound amazing!!!
2. Like one of the above post mentioned, you get a nice burble every time you lift off.
3. It is a friendly daily driver, loud when you want it to be loud.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
Know your shit before you bash someone. Some exhausts actually LOOSE torque at lower RPMs due to decreased backpressure.
No shit, that is true in theory. However you are still a moran for thinking that principle can be applied to the 128i PE. This is not a mufflerless system like the berk race which I happen to have on my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

I have it, though it is the 130i version which has a flap in it just like the stock one.

I also removed the resonator and it is a bit louder but when giving it full throttle OMG it sounds awesome!!! It could drone ever so slightly at 2000 rpm but it is not bothersome in any way, at least not to me.

The feel is just the same, not better not worst, just the same but with more voice, same response low down and same top end which I find very vivid in the 130i. The only change to be noticed is the sound, not the performance. I removed the resonator since I had the stock muffler so I cannot comment on how the PE sounds with it in my car. I have a video in my FB but only friends can see it, feel free to add me (mau.pineda@live.com) if you want to listen, it simply is wonderful and would recommend on taking the resonator off, I am very picky and yes, it is in the limit for driving around town but don't care as I really enjoy the way it sounds when giving it some revs even if you don't deep the gas pedal. It reminds me the sound of race Porsche, it is that good.

Last edited by maupineda; 12-04-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
I drive a 135is so I never got to compare the stock exhauset with BMW's PE. I can however chime in with a few impressions.
1. Cold Starts sound amazing!!!
2. Like one of the above post mentioned, you get a nice burble every time you lift off.
3. It is a friendly daily driver, loud when you want it to be loud.
I had the performance exhaust installed at the port. Could not agree more with your comments. Cold starts do sound amazing! Also nice that it's quiet at cruising speeds. I have the HK stereo and I hardly use it around town as I'd rather hear the exhaust...and I'm a music fan
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofopps View Post
Thanks Spoolin Montego, for your back. You get it, my friend.

I won't even comment on your immature response.
Let me school you, and I'll keep it mature, unlike your infantile & ignorant comment!
Performance exhausts, especially in this case, produce 5 hp and 3 lbs/ft of torque at 6600 rpms.
Bear in mind, there are several unlimited speed limits in Germany. The limited performance numbers, identified supra, are gained while driving at a sustained 6600 rpms, which are speeds highly unlikely and even unattainable in the good old USA.
The BMW PE was made for sustained Autobahn speeds, where you will barely notice a small performance increase at 6600 rpms and above.
If I could see a performance graph, showing no loss of low end torque, where we Americans operate our automobiles, and unless you are racing at 6600 rpms, then the BMW PE would be a purchase for ear candy, exclusively.
Does it not pique your interest why BMW does not provide a performance chart/graph, identifying the small performance increase? Get it? Must I explain this to you as well???

Additionally, if you continue on in life, believing everything you read, then I pity you.

BB
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
      12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
matacuero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135I Stage 2 Dinan

NIce!

I get on this fairly frequently and although it's a male dominated forum with some of us being partly educated, it always reads like one of those teenage-girl forums that my daughter constantly chats on. Ignorant. Not to mention the amount of confrontations on this site is ridiculous.

If you are not bringing something positive, informative or even funny to this site you should stay the hell out. Watch some jersey shore, pawn stars or some other reality tv for your drama "fix" before logging on. just sayin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post

Let me school you, and I'll keep it mature, unlike your infantile & ignorant comment!
Performance exhausts, especially in this case, produce 5 hp and 3 lbs/ft of torque at 6600 rpms.
Bear in mind, there are several unlimited speed limits in Germany. The limited performance numbers, identified supra, are gained while driving at a sustained 6600 rpms, which are speeds highly unlikely and even unattainable in the good old USA.
The BMW PE was made for sustained Autobahn speeds, where you will barely notice a small performance increase at 6600 rpms and above.
If I could see a performance graph, showing no loss of low end torque, where we Americans operate our automobiles, and unless you are racing at 6600 rpms, then the BMW PE would be a purchase for ear candy, exclusively.
Does it not pique your interest why BMW does not provide a performance chart/graph, identifying the small performance increase? Get it? Must I explain this to you as well???

Additionally, if you continue on in life, believing everything you read, then I pity you.

BB
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matacuero View Post
NIce!

I get on this fairly frequently and although it's a male dominated forum with some of us being partly educated, it always reads like one of those teenage-girl forums that my daughter constantly chats on. Ignorant. Not to mention the amount of confrontations on this site is ridiculous.

If you are not bringing something positive, informative or even funny to this site you should stay the hell out. Watch some jersey shore, pawn stars or some other reality tv for your drama "fix" before logging on. just sayin...
^^^You must be joking if you think my response was ignorant. Who are you kidding? My e-mail was factual and it brought some relevance to the matter at hand.
Your e-mail offered absolutely no insight concerning this thread/the OP's question.
Read your e-mail and live by what you just posted.
Just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post

BB

Where did you get that the PE was designed for constant 6600RPMs at high speed on the Autobahn? That seems just as speculative. Most German performance marques design their cars around performance on the Nordschleife these days, for better or worse. Also, most Germans do not drive at a constant 150 mph on the sections of the Autobahn with no speed limits.

Additionally, this system is not a straight pipe. This is just more free flowing and tuned to produce a different sound. It actually looks very similar to the stock exhaust. BMW is not going to produce a performance part that sacrifices low end performance for some high end performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

No clue if it improves performance. I bought it for the freaking sound! It's a BMW part....can't imagine that it lowers performance....having said that, my 135i screams...performance and sound wise....!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Installed and sounds AMAZING...it changes the entire personality of the car....much more aggressive that I thought, in a good way. My brothers were driving behind me on freeway windows closed and they said they could hear/feel it...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
The BMW PE is the most expensive, non value added, completely un-needed self gratifying purchase that I have ever made, that I absolutely love.

The 3 extra HP is just bonus.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I loved mine for the few months i had it, but i wanted something louder and eventually had my AA/custom one made up. same sound but much more pronounced and louder And the pops and gurgles are even bettter now too
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #19
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly
Installed and sounds AMAZING...it changes the entire personality of the car....much more aggressive that I thought, in a good way. My brothers were driving behind me on freeway windows closed and they said they could hear/feel it...
Glad you're happy with it! (I sold it to him)

Post some videos!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
hotwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
The BMW PE is the most expensive, non value added, completely un-needed self gratifying purchase that I have ever made, that I absolutely love.

It's just so true
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post

So well put.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]