BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #23
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

This is hard to believe for me. From what I've read from Scott is that a BMW M car is a car that has been meticulously tested and tweaked so that power matches handling and everything else. The car is tweaked to perfection so that there's a balance between power / handling / etc... So why would they offer a performance boost for the 1M as part of performance parts. This would put off the balance in the car.

I think the BMW chief also said something like: "If you change anything in an M car, it's no longer an M car." I think that would stand for adding BMW performance parts as well since it didn't come like that from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #24
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If this is true I will become less and less of a BMW fan. Seriously, what's this marketing talk of pure M sport and perfection then BMW release some mod make it better with additional fee? Why doesn't it come with 380hp to start off.
Because even the N54 is a ~440-450hp motor detuned to "300" (more like 330-340).

If this is actually the next gen M3 motor, expect it to be a 500hp motor detuned to "350"hp.

Marketing.

These aren't NA motors, they won't come nearly "maxed out" from the factory, because doing so would mean that they would be so far above and beyond the M3 that marketing would have a conniption.

If someone is willing to overpay BMW to remove some of that detuning, instead of paying an aftermarket tuner less money to remove all of it, that's their thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #25
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Again, why are you guys so fixated on hp's? If it handles like a pure M, then hp's don't matter. I've tracked almost all my cars and the handling is more important. If you want to go fast in a straight line, then mod the hell out the current 1 series. I haven't taken mine on the track because it's a lease and it would need track upgrades to get it to where it needs to be. Hence the need for the 1M.

I'm just amazed at all the posts about oh, if it's not this hp, I'm not going to buy it. The M division has never failed to deliver on their cars. You would be hard pressed to find a bad review of an e30 all the way to the current M3. They have continually set the bar for motorsport divisions. So, why do so many people doubt the viability that 1M will not exceed expectations?
Superficially my comment may appear to be about power. If you read closer it's about BMW holding back then charge you extra for what the car can innately do.
Appreciate 0