BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Project VENOM build thread! 135i -> 1M(Jet Black)

Rest of the set

[4/8/13 Update]Photoshoot pics!
Sample of the photoset:

[4/4/13 Update]Rear quarter panel + VMR wheels picture with thanks to ilikebmxbikes :

Hello fellow 1addicts,
I would like to start this thread off with the following disclaimers:
1. Should you choose to follow the steps that ilikebmxbikes and I have taken, do your research. There are too many variables and I cannot guarantee that the project will turn out anything like ours.
2. My goal with doing this project is not to mock, mimic or tread on hallowed M ground. I had a deposit on one and my crooked dealership sold it out from under me. So I chose to instead get a 135i and after many months I found the perfect 1 for my project VENOM.

************************************************** ************************************************** ******

So let's begin:
During a trip to visit family when the 1M's were still in production/near end production in December 2011 I saw this gorgeous 1M near LA at a coffee shop (La Canada).

I became very familiar with these forums, reloading the front page every day to see if there were new details about the 1M and what the final numbers would be so I might get my own.

Unfortunately, the deposit I put down on a 1M never came to fruition. So I searched for alternatives but could not find anything that drew my attention as much as the baby M had done.

So, I eventually narrowed my results down to the 135i, the car the 1M was based upon. After about 6 months of searching, I found this:

This Jet Black 1 was both to care for and clean and also such a thrill to drive.
After going on a couple drives with m3dragon's group, I got more acquainted with my car and the bimmer world. That Integra in the background has been with me for near a decade now.

Unfortunately, I do not have many pics between when I got my 1 and now. But in that time I still yearned for the 1M and still watch every single video I can find on its meaning to BMW and the design cues. (Saw a new one at a BMW shop that I haven't seen before with interviews from the designers that was pretty interesting and had videos of them driving it under heavy camo when it was still a pet project.)

In that time, I decided to go with Cobb, got some RR downpipes from a member here, and upgraded my AEs to a set of off-brand white halos.

A few months ago (August-ish) I started contemplating converting my car into a 1M piece by piece. I had planned to do this in the following order: exhaust, rear end, front end, and then whatever was left. Oddly enough, I ended up getting rear-ended while stopped on a busy street. This accident allowed me to start calculating the body conversion and with the help of an amazing advisor, I had my project plan underway as well as several quotes on 1M panels. Then I met several other key members of 1addicts who clued me into exactly what parts were needed for the full body conversion.

Together with ilikebmxbikes we calculated and compared costs for the better part of a month to see what the conversion would require both in cost and in time. Finally, we bought all the parts for the conversion and boy did my wallet feel a ton lighter . But, today it was all worth it.

Today I bring you the first half of my 1M modification.

Here is a teaser for the next and hopefully last part of this conversion (fingers crossed there are no hiccups)

This is what ilikebmxbikes and I will be heading down to socal in a couple of weeks to complete.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Feel free to ask any questions, I can't guarantee that I will share all the details at the moment because we are still sailing through uncharted waters with our modifications and we want to respect all the people who have helped us out thus far in our conversions. Also, sorry for the dirty pictures, blame the rain...

-Venom

Last edited by Venom; 06-09-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
game day bucket is gonna go BOOM on this one

for the awesome work you and M are doing on your cars
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Hello fellow 1addicts,
I would like to start this thread off with the following disclaimers:
1. Should you choose to follow the steps that ilikebmxbikes and I have taken, do your research. There are too many variables and I cannot guarantee that the project will turn out anything like ours.
2. My goal with doing this project is not to mock, mimic or tread on hallowed M ground. I had a deposit on one and my crooked dealership sold it out from under me. So I chose to instead get a 135i and after many months I found the perfect 1 for my project VENOM.

So let's begin:
During a trip to visit family when the 1M's were still in production/near end production in December 2011 I saw this gorgeous 1M near LA at a coffee shop (La Canada).

I became very familiar with these forums, reloading the front page every day to see if there were new details about the 1M and what the final numbers would be so I might get my own.

Unfortunately, the deposit I put down on a 1M never came to fruition. So I searched for alternatives but could not find anything that drew my attention as much as the baby M had done.

So, I eventually narrowed my results down to the 135i, the car the 1M was based upon. After about 6 months of searching, I found this:

This Jet Black 1 was both to care for and clean and also such a thrill to drive.
After going on a couple drives with m3dragon's group, I got more acquainted with my car and the bimmer world. That Integra in the background has been with me for near a decade now.

Unfortunately, I do not have many pics between when I got my 1 and now. But in that time I still yearned for the 1M and still watch every single video I can find on its meaning to BMW and the design cues. (Saw a new one at a BMW shop that I haven't seen before with interviews from the designers that was pretty interesting and had videos of them driving it under heavy camo when it was still a pet project.)

In that time, I decided to go with Cobb, got some RR downpipes from a member here, and upgraded my AEs to a set of off-brand white halos.

A few months ago (August-ish) I started contemplating converting my car into a 1M piece by piece. I had planned to do this in the following order: exhaust, rear end, front end, and then whatever was left. Oddly enough, I ended up getting rear-ended while stopped on a busy street. This accident allowed me to start calculating the body conversion and with the help of an amazing advisor, I had my project plan underway as well as several quotes on 1M panels. Then I met several other key members of 1addicts who clued me into exactly what parts were needed for the full body conversion.

Together with ilikebmxbikes we calculated and compared costs for the better part of a month to see what the conversion would require both in cost and in time. Finally, we bought all the parts for the conversion and boy did my wallet feel a ton lighter . But, today it was all worth it.

Today I bring you the first half of my 1M modification.

Here is a teaser for the next and hopefully last part of this conversion (fingers crossed there are no hiccups) :happy anim:

This is what ilikebmxbikes and I will be heading down to socal in a couple of weeks to complete.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Feel free to ask any questions, I can't guarantee that I will share all the details at the moment because we are still sailing through uncharted waters with our modifications and we want to respect all the people who have helped us out thus far in our conversions. Also, sorry for the dirty pictures, blame the rain...

I guarantee that there will be more to come

-Venom
Venom I can't see the pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
Can you still not see the pics? I had some "technical difficulties" initially but I think I fixed em
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      01-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
game day bucket is gonna go BOOM on this one

for the awesome work you and M are doing on your cars
DUDE for sure! Harbowl ftw! hahaha
Thanks for being such an inspiration and help with our crazy "Norcal" project
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Now I can thanks, your 1 looks good
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Now I can thanks, your 1 looks good
Danke! She's very very dirty with all the rain here lately but she's finally coming together!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Awesome to see some paint on the car. It's going be dope when we have our half built cars together.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DUDE for sure! Harbowl ftw! hahaha
Thanks for being such an inspiration and help with our crazy "Norcal" project
i sure as hell hope you got a VENOM sticker planned for your 135M
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Additional information :) 1M quads

To run the 1M exhaust, I found out today there is one last piece to the puzzle that any 1 series needs.
BMW built the 1M fast and didn't design a part for just the hangars so here is some important information on that end.

This is a picture of the 1M's rear exhaust section support/hangar/bumper. This piece goes directly under the bumper cover.

If you look carefully at those pictures, you will need this item to fit a 1M quad exhaust because if you notice, I currently have three hangars. The 135i hangar is visible as its own part in silver(near the middle, holding my performance exhaust in place). In addition there are two black hangars that hold up the 1M exhaust that are this part that I mentioned that is support/hangar/bumper.

-Venom
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
i sure as hell hope you got a VENOM sticker planned for your 135M
Yeah, I am planning on ordering a decal or lettering soon
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
RiefferD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 135i

dude clean ur rims...no jk, I'm xcited 2 c the what the final results r. 2 questions, have u decided on rims, and most 1m owners upgrade their exhaust, so y not just get a quad, instead of setting up 4 an oem 1m xhaust?
      01-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

I'm so damn jealous.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiefferD View Post
dude clean ur rims...no jk, I'm xcited 2 c the what the final results r. 2 questions, have u decided on rims, and most 1m owners upgrade their exhaust, so y not just get a quad, instead of setting up 4 an oem 1m xhaust?
Yeah she's a dirty girl lol. I have not decided on rims yet. I am leaning towards a CSL rep at the moment, I am also scouring the boards for some cheap 219Ms.
As far as the quad setup goes, this is important info for any quad setup, if anyone wants to do a 1M aftermarket exhaust, they will need to have the battery tray, rear bumper reinforcement bar, custom diffuser, and heat shielding from a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
I'm so damn jealous.
Haha yeah, I am definitely down for a meet when this is all done to show it off.
It's been a lot of work, hopefully it'll pay off when this last shop is done
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Hahaha the stock rims looks ridiculous with the fenders!

Congrats and keep us updated. Lets get together soon! I've got sick news as well!

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Hahaha the stock rims looks ridiculous with the fenders!

Congrats and keep us updated. Lets get together soon! I've got sick news as well!
Sweet! Hope to hear about it and see it soon! Been a crazy day!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Yeah she's a dirty girl lol. I have not decided on rims yet. I am leaning towards a CSL rep at the moment, I am also scouring the boards for some cheap 219Ms.
As far as the quad setup goes, this is important info for any quad setup, if anyone wants to do a 1M aftermarket exhaust, they will need to have the battery tray, rear bumper reinforcement bar, custom diffuser, and heat shielding from a 1M.
loving all the info from you and bmx, your cars are looking amazing. cant wait to follow in your footsteps. im abit confused what that hanger part you were talking about is; do you have a part number?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Haha yeah, I am definitely down for a meet when this is all done to show it off.
It's been a lot of work, hopefully it'll pay off when this last shop is done
I bet your car is going to turn sooo many heads. Ilikebmxbikes has been so cool in sharing information on this build. I was fu#$ing losing sleep over how bad I wanted to do this. I finally decided to hang tight and just wait for the M2 (my car will be paid off by then).

You won't regret it. Your cars are going to look insane. Can't wait to see it in person.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #20
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
loving all the info from you and bmx, your cars are looking amazing. cant wait to follow in your footsteps. im abit confused what that hanger part you were talking about is; do you have a part number?
Yes I do. 51128051589
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...128051589.html

As I mentioned, it is a multi-use part unlike the 135i hangar. (Check out the schematics.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
I bet your car is going to turn sooo many heads. Ilikebmxbikes has been so cool in sharing information on this build. I was fu#$ing losing sleep over how bad I wanted to do this. I finally decided to hang tight and just wait for the M2 (my car will be paid off by then).

You won't regret it. Your cars are going to look insane. Can't wait to see it in person.
Dude, I can't wait for all the confused faces when they see a 1M with base 1er rims

It all depends on how much money you want to pour into mods, I will warn you, the conversion definitely isn't cheap.

Yeah, someday I'll get a M2 also But for now, CRAZY PROJECT!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #21
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes I do. 51128051589
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...128051589.html

As I mentioned, it is a multi-use part unlike the 135i hangar. (Check out the schematics.)

Dude, I can't wait for all the confused faces when they see a 1M with base 1er rims

It all depends on how much money you want to pour into mods, I will warn you, the conversion definitely isn't cheap.

Yeah, someday I'll get a M2 also But for now, CRAZY PROJECT!
<= this VENOM taught you well on multi quoting
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote: