BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Pros\Cons st.1 vs st.2

Hi I'm hesitating about what set up is better and reliable for the DD + 1-2 times at mounth track days (spring-autumn)
So for the st.1 I would go with the ETS FMIC + custom oil cooler + EvolveR + may be I will add n55 midpipe
For the st.2 I wouldn't go with n55 midpipe, but will add the BMS catless DP's

So I have a few questions according to the st.2:
1.I know the going with st.2 I would get more power and tourque, but will I have problems with the car?
2.I'm olanning to switch to the stock map at winter, will it work correctly with cutless DP's? I think not...
3.Why the track 1M use full decat exhaust but runs the Evolve st.1? Is it better for the track or why?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Hi I'm hesitating about what set up is better and reliable for the DD + 1-2 times at mounth track days (spring-autumn)
So for the st.1 I would go with the ETS FMIC + custom oil cooler + EvolveR + may be I will add n55 midpipe
For the st.2 I wouldn't go with n55 midpipe, but will add the BMS catless DP's

So I have a few questions according to the st.2:
1.I know the going with st.2 I would get more power and tourque, but will I have problems with the car?
2.I'm olanning to switch to the stock map at winter, will it work correctly with cutless DP's? I think not...
3.Why the track 1M use full decat exhaust but runs the Evolve st.1? Is it better for the track or why?
1. No, boost at stage 2 has been run with n54 engine for the number of years without problems.
2. As long as cel delete is on. However, it still functions properly if you choose stock map just that cel will be on. I think making sure DSC is on would be more important.
3. The 1M race car is in the Production Car Category where the rule stated that it cannot run higher than stock boost for the series.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
1. No, boost at stage 2 has been run with n54 engine for the number of years without problems.
2. As long as cel delete is on. However, it still functions properly if you choose stock map just that cel will be on. I think making sure DSC is on would be more important.
3. The 1M race car is in the Production Car Category where the rule stated that it cannot run higher than stock boost for the series.
Can I use the BMS Dp fix or it goes just with jb4?
http://www.burgertuning.com/dpfix.html
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Can I use the BMS Dp fix or it goes just with jb4?
http://www.burgertuning.com/dpfix.html
That would work, but you can always ask the tuner to create a "stock" file that fixes the CEL problem especially if you ask nicely .
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
That would work, but you can always ask the tuner to create a "stock" file that fixes the CEL problem especially if you ask nicely .
Tnx I got it..
If I'll go with DP's, do I need to add chardge pipe with blow off or stock is OK too?
Forge DV's are not working correctly...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Tnx I got it..
If I'll go with DP's, do I need to add chardge pipe with blow off or stock is OK too?
Forge DV's are not working correctly...
I have problem with my forge the first time I installed it too, but still have the ER charge pipe. If you are running stage 1/2 it should be fine with stock, but I would change it if you are going to run stage 3.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
I have problem with my forge the first time I installed it too, but still have the ER charge pipe. If you are running stage 1/2 it should be fine with stock, but I would change it if you are going to run stage 3.
What you get adding the ER chargepipe?
The ETS FMIC has its own charge pipe and I think it's enough, right?
So to go with st/ I need just DP's + ask Evolve to get the stock map for the catless DPs for winter right?
+ tires + ds2500)
And those tuning packs are both OK for the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What you get adding the ER chargepipe?
The ETS FMIC has its own charge pipe and I think it's enough, right?
So to go with st/ I need just DP's + ask Evolve to get the stock map for the catless DPs for winter right?
+ tires + ds2500)
And those tuning packs are both OK for the transmission?
It remove the sound baffles so theoretically you get better flow. Also, initially there was a bit of problem with the stock charge pipe coming off that seems to have been resolved. As far as I know the ETS only have the connecting pipes by not the charge pipe? If you are not using stage 3, and your stock pipe is not broken, it is just really a safety measure. Many cars running jb4 with stock pipes without problem. Unless you want to add meth injection then the charge pipe is a must.

Best to check with Evolve in the requirement details. I know Ian's car has fmic + exhaust and it only runs stage 1.

No issues with transmission due to tuning I have come across in the last few years.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
It remove the sound baffles so theoretically you get better flow. Also, initially there was a bit of problem with the stock charge pipe coming off that seems to have been resolved. As far as I know the ETS only have the connecting pipes by not the charge pipe? If you are not using stage 3, and your stock pipe is not broken, it is just really a safety measure. Many cars running jb4 with stock pipes without problem. Unless you want to add meth injection then the charge pipe is a must.

Best to check with Evolve in the requirement details. I know Ian's car has fmic + exhaust and it only runs stage 1.

No issues with transmission due to tuning I have come across in the last few years.
And you already swiched to the st.2 or st.3? Is it really better than the st.1? How do you feel?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Some time ago, when I was considering buying the ETS Intercooler I was also confused and thought that the kit already includes a charge pipe; but it doesn't, Harold from HP Autowerks clarified that for me back then. It is not the same piece just intercooler piping and you should be better off with the ER's charge pipe or another brand's well received charge pipe if you are running higher boost. In fact, it is good to have it anyway regardless of your tune or boost because it delivers quite good improvement in throttle response.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Some time ago, when I was considering buying the ETS Intercooler I was also confused and thought that the kit already includes a charge pipe; but it doesn't, Harold from HP Autowerks clarified that for me back then. It is not the same piece just intercooler piping and you should be better off with the ER's charge pipe or another brand's well received charge pipe if you are running higher boost. In fact, it is good to have it anyway regardless of your tune or boost because it delivers quite good improvement in throttle response.
So It's better to go with ER FMIC + ER charge pipe as a complete piece, right?
+ DP's + Oil cooler

Does anybody has some CHECK INJEN issues running the st.2 on track?
When I used my 335i FBO jb4 on track I got a lot of CHECKs like misfiring in cylinders and so on... Now I need a reliable and stable set up without overheating and other issues to run it on track and DD with no problems...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

I got this picture from Mike from n54tuning
AMS, ETS, stock FMICs
So going with st.2 ETS is small... it's OK for the st.1
But I know that AMS has has some bad piping, where to get it?
And how about trimming?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
And you already swiched to the st.2 or st.3? Is it really better than the st.1? How do you feel?
It is going on late this week when my brakes and exhaust goes in. I will write an initial quick review, but a more thorough one after some kms. I found that the car's drivability improves quite substantially 500km after the install.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
So It's better to go with ER FMIC + ER charge pipe as a complete piece, right?
+ DP's + Oil cooler

Does anybody has some CHECK INJEN issues running the st.2 on track?
When I used my 335i FBO jb4 on track I got a lot of CHECKs like misfiring in cylinders and so on... Now I need a reliable and stable set up without overheating and other issues to run it on track and DD with no problems...
1M already have an upgrade oil cooler and not many people have problems on track. The flash tends to also be more stable than jb4 simply because they are more conservative. You don't need to use ER for both, but ETS is a smaller fmic.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
The ETS doesn't have a CP. It is the lower connecting CP.

I run the EvolveR Stage 1 with ETS 5", MadDad mids and Remus muffler. Evolve recommended not running their Stage 2 on 98RON, but would if i wanted to.
Don't recommed because of catted stock pipes?

Quote:
1M already have an upgrade oil cooler and not many people have problems on track. The flash tends to also be more stable than jb4 simply because they are more conservative. You don't need to use ER for both, but ETS is a smaller fmic.
The 1M has the same oil cooler like 135i or 335i on the right side, but it has an additional performance power kit, that adds a water cooler to the left side and bigger fan. When I drove my 335i vs 1M on race gas, he got oil temp higher that 120, but not as high as I had on my 335i(I had CP-E FMIC + add-on oil cooler), so I just want my car to be stable in every situation with no check injens...
Firstly I'm planning to get ER FMIC+charge pipe+oil cooler to reduce the overheating at all and then I need to decide wheter it's better to go with Evolve st.1 or it's better to add DP's and go with st.2...
Why I'm hesitating? Because on I think that on higher boost car can have more problems like Ch.Enj., but the st.2 I think is more interesting to drive) Waiting for your rewiev according the stages!)

And i should mention that if I go with st.2 I won't change my midpipe because don't to have very loud exhaust...

Last edited by jackkk; 12-12-2012 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Not sure? The Stage 1 is brutal enough.

Stage 1 +30 BHP +50 lb.ft Torque
Stage 2 (FMIC required) + 50 BHP +70 lb.ft torque
Stage 3 (FMIC and Downpipes Required) + 67 BHP +85 lb.ft Torque

I'd say Stage 1 is the long-term safe option. It pushes 16.5 psi, which is high for those little turbos without DP's or lower back pressure
That is why I wanted firstly to go with FMIC + Evolve like st.2 here, but I txted the Evolve and Imran said that fpr FMIC it is the same st.2 and only with DP's I can go with st.2...

If I go with st.1 insted of DP's I can go with n55 midpipe ar just add resonators instead of catts...
That's comlicated...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #17
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Rather go with Cobb tune if you want more flexibility. I went with Evolve because I just wanted the 1M to be a bit faster and more responsive. The Evolve S1 does that very well, while keeping with safe levels for a daily driver. If you want to do custom maps etc, then Cobb is a better choice.

Evolve's response to me in August was: "16.5 PSI on stage 1 and 18.5 psi for stage 2. We don't recommend running stage 2 with just FMIC but if you are comfortable running it then we can do this for you. "
I don't need the custom maps and Cobb, tnx) I like the Evolve too
But I need to choose between 2 stages, what is better for the DD, track days and for the car at all, to have no problems with it
Accoeding to the boost it is really strange, because jb4 map2(st.2 for DP's) runs just 14.5 psi... I run this map and had FBO on my car and it was much more faster than the stock 1M and Evolve only on st.1 rus 16.5 whitch is jb4+meth...
This is my 335i vs 1M on race gas 0-240
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #18
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
In my opinion they shouldn't even offer a stage 2. Only go 2 or 3 if you have DP's. Evolve tune stage 1 rocks.... for a street car and on the track

Evolve offer a money back guarantee too, if you aren't happy
Ian, the question espesially for you - How does it feel to use midpipes?
I found Berk midpipes and I think they are not that loud that Maddads, am I right?
I don't want my exhaust to be very loud,because my SS race muffler is one of the loudest in the market if don't tolk about Maistercraft streight pipes...
So the SS resonated mids are very expensive and then I have 3 ways:
n55
Berk
Maddad

right? but I think that Berk and Maddad is better because they have 2 resonators instead of 1 in n55
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Ian, the question espesially for you - How does it feel to use midpipes?
I found Berk midpipes and I think they are not that loud that Maddads, am I right?
I don't want my exhaust to be very loud,because my SS race muffler is one of the loudest in the market if don't tolk about Maistercraft streight pipes...
So the SS resonated mids are very expensive and then I have 3 ways:
n55
Berk
Maddad

right? but I think that Berk and Maddad is better because they have 2 resonators instead of 1 in n55
I have Evolve Race which is probably exact same like yours mated with N55 mids, it doesn't make it much louder at all, one reason why I chose the N55 mids and I think they are just fine, especially considering the price. If I wanted really loud at all rpms then I would skip others and swallow the bill and go for the SS straight mid pipes but it's more than enough sound for me as it is now.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #20
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Never heard Berks in person. Sound is an individual thing and everyone likes a different noise. I personally think N55 mids are a waste of time. See my thread for info and videos http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656965
Tnx!
And one more question about aftermarket mids - Does the exhaust smell worse? Like when you drive with open windows in the traffic...

Quote:
I have Evolve Race which is probably exact same like yours mated with N55 mids, it doesn't make it much louder at all, one reason why I chose the N55 mids and I think they are just fine, especially considering the price. If I wanted really loud at all rpms then I would skip others and swallow the bill and go for the SS straight mid pipes but it's more than enough sound for me as it is now.
What is the price of n55 mids?
Berk mids are $599 + $50 shipping to Russia from their site, I think that is good prise and they are 2.5" which is not that loud like 3.0" Maddad
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Tnx!
And one more question about aftermarket mids - Does the exhaust smell worse? Like when you drive with open windows in the traffic...

What is the price of n55 mids?
Berk mids are $599 + $50 shipping to Russia from their site, I think that is good prise and they are 2.5" which is not that loud like 3.0" Maddad
There is no way that you will have a gas smell because of a mid pipe change since you still will keep primary cats in your down pipes. No one in my knowledge reported any issue like this with any of the well known aftermarket midpipes.

Price depends on where you order it and from whom. In US it can be as cheap as 300 USD, in Europe can be a bit more than 400 plus shipping. Try not to order from official BMW dealer if you don't want to pay more.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #22
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
There is no way that you will have a gas smell because of a mid pipe change since you still will keep primary cats in your down pipes. No one in my knowledge reported any issue like this with any of the well known aftermarket midpipes.

Price depends on where you order it and from whom. In US it can be as cheap as 300 USD, in Europe can be a bit more than 400 plus shipping. Try not to order from official BMW dealer if you don't want to pay more.
I figured out that it is relly expensive to ship midpipes to Russia, so I got just 1 way - yo go with n55 midpipes which I can find here... I found it for about $500 and try to find it cheaper through my friend in the dilership

So if I undestood I will have the good full bolt-on for the st.1 and I think it will be stable and reliable)
Tnx guys! On spring. after the installation I will write down a lil review on my mods!
Appreciate 0