BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Need Help: Buy Charge Pipe or Not?

Hi guys. Been lurking around about charge pipe for my N55 135i and found most of them are recommended for those who tuned the car. My plan is to keep the car stock but might do PPK1 in the near future. Do you guys think I should change my charge pipe to after market one? What's the advantage? What brand is the best?

Just for information, if I have to change it, I will buy the one with black color so any input regarding black charge pipe will be very useful.

Opinions and thoughts are welcome. Please help me out guys. Thank you
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
yes upgrade it.. even under stock boost it was known to fail.. it'll save you a trip to dealership .. any will work and do the same thing.. the ER charge pipe is the only one i think that has a bracket to connect to where the stock one came from. (not needed)

super easy to install too!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

I just got the ER pipe yesterday. I'm not sure if it's really required but doesn't hurt. AND, it gives me an excuse to play with the car. :-)
      04-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Do you guys have any idea for brand other than ER that sells black charge pipe?

Found it by myself: ER, ETS, and AA are all have black charge pipe.

Which brand do you guys think I should go? I don't really care for extra bucks as long as it lasts longer and better quality
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
SalemChiro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Do you guys have any idea for brand other than ER that sells black charge pipe

Check out CPE
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Do you guys have any idea for brand other than ER that sells black charge pipe?

Found it by myself: ER, ETS, and AA are all have black charge pipe.

Which brand do you guys think I should go? I don't really care for extra bucks as long as it lasts longer and better quality
I've never heard of anyone having issues with the ER pipe, retaining the OE throttle body connection is a big plus in my book. ETA and AA are great companies, I just think the silicone coupler is a step down from the metal O-ring.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

If you don't want to tune besides PPK I wouldn't bother buying an aftermarket CP. If your car is stock and somehow the CP fails then it should be covered by warranty. However if you car fails and they see an aftermarket CP they will immediately suspect your car being tuned.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmtl_135i
If you don't want to tune besides PPK I wouldn't bother buying an aftermarket CP. If your car is stock and somehow the CP fails then it should be covered by warranty. However if you car fails and they see an aftermarket CP they will immediately suspect your car being tuned.
That's correct thought but afterall they won't any tune anyway except PPK1. It's kind of preventive action though and aftermarket one should last longer and better compared to plastic oem
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Apparently I found out only AA and ER keep the factory o-ring. Does ER includes the ring itself? Because AA said they do not provide one. Which one do you guys prefer? Where should I buy ER cp for best price? How about AA?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

ER does not provide the o-ring or retaining clip on their N54 charge pipe. I suspect it is the same for the N55. Just use the OEM o-ring and clip. I also read in another post that the o-ring on the N54 is the same size as the oil filter o-ring. I confirmed this when swapping out my charge pipe. Personally I wouldn't change the charge pipe if you only plan on running the PPK. You'll just give the dealer an excuse if something goes wrong. If you plan on stepping up the boost above that of the PPK, it's probably a good idea. I blew up my charge pipe with the Cobb and had to purchase an ER plus a new OEM (for when I bring the car in for service).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer
ER does not provide the o-ring or retaining clip on their N54 charge pipe. I suspect it is the same for the N55. Just use the OEM o-ring and clip. I also read in another post that the o-ring on the N54 is the same size as the oil filter o-ring. I confirmed this when swapping out my charge pipe. Personally I wouldn't change the charge pipe if you only plan on running the PPK. You'll just give the dealer an excuse if something goes wrong. If you plan on stepping up the boost above that of the PPK, it's probably a good idea. I blew up my charge pipe with the Cobb and had to purchase an ER plus a new OEM (for when I bring the car in for service).
Okay. So just keep it stock and do PPK? Once it blew up just let them know that it happened? Sounds a good idea though but I don't know why keep thinking about it, it might be just me who are seeking for peace of mind. Thanks though
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
geared
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90' s54 325i ; 93' carrera 2

Garage List
2008 Corvette z-06  [0.00]
2015 BMW m3  [10.00]
CPE kept the oring i am pretty sure. I have that on my FBO 2012 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

FYI on this thread. If you're upgrading the charge pipe, get one where you can keep the stock diverter valves.

There are no CARB legal BOV's or DV's that I know of for CA except for the stock one.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Cant loose with Active Autowerk; that's what I have and it sounds great.
      04-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
BruceWarne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Hi guys. Been lurking around about charge pipe for my N55 135i and found most of them are recommended for those who tuned the car. My plan is to keep the car stock but might do PPK1 in the near future. Do you guys think I should change my charge pipe to after market one? What's the advantage? What brand is the best?

Just for information, if I have to change it, I will buy the one with black color so any input regarding black charge pipe will be very useful.

Opinions and thoughts are welcome. Please help me out guys. Thank you
I assume your car is still under warranty?
So why do you want to do this?
Are you afraid the OE one will pop and you want to save BMW NA from having to fix it under warranty using their money?

That would be very altruistic, just remember that if they find it on your car they may void your warranty. So, in order for you to save them money, you will have to remove it every time you take the car in for a service.

Once the warranty expires, start doing "preventative mods" like this - before then you're just screwing yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I've never heard of anyone having issues with the ER pipe, retaining the OE throttle body connection is a big plus in my book.
I like my ER CP
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
onefast1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Anyone have experience with the BMS CP? Looks pretty legit, I like the fact that you can use forge/stock DV's and keep a stock stealthy sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWarne View Post
I assume your car is still under warranty?
So why do you want to do this?
Are you afraid the OE one will pop and you want to save BMW NA from having to fix it under warranty using their money?
That would be very altruistic, just remember that if they find it on your car they may void your warranty. So, in order for you to save them money, you will have to remove it every time you take the car in for a service.
Once the warranty expires, start doing "preventative mods" like this - before then you're just screwing yourself.
That is, unless, you don't want to be stuck on the side of the road calling up for assistance. IMO, that's a pretty good reason to replace a known weak part. Time is more important than the cost which you can partly recoup when you sell the car and part it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Attack! View Post
Anyone have experience with the BMS CP? Looks pretty legit, I like the fact that you can use forge/stock DV's and keep a stock stealthy sound.
Generally speaking if Terry makes it, I trust it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
That is, unless, you don't want to be stuck on the side of the road calling up for assistance. IMO, that's a pretty good reason to replace a known weak part. Time is more important than the cost which you can partly recoup when you sell the car and part it out.
This.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0