BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #45
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
That's why I suggested the CLA45 AMG. All-wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #46
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Actually, I didn't originally bring up the CLA45 AMG, the OP did.
      09-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #47
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Driver error seems to be largely dealt with by previous experience. I don't hit every gear right every time but I've never had a manual transmission issue and have owned almost exclusively manual transmission cars for over 40 years. I could hurt a transmission someday due to my error but if it happens I will be of the opinion that a design issue was at least a significant contributor. If it didn't happen to any of the half dozen other manuals I've driven 50-150K miles, why would it happen to the next one?

I don't know what to say about a charge pipe issue. I'm not sure what it is. But it doesn't seem like it should fail. I didn't think I should have to take mine in for a power cable on the back of the fuse box to be replaced for insulation to be removed from around the seat belt spool. I really didn't like have to have the top replaced twice nor did I think I should have to be the one to point out the tsb to the dealer so it didn't happen again. But I like the car so I put up with the nonsense.

Talking about nonsense, did they tell you repeatedly you don't know how to put the gas cap on? That happened to us on my SUV (non-BMW) and was very annoying. I finally took it in and told them to do a smoke test. Pump was bad, problem was fixed. But why 5 trips?

New cars are not necessarily less hassle than old ones - but the bills tend to be lower.
      09-09-2015, 12:34 AM   #48
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
+1 on hating the looks of the CLA. Car looks like it might have looked good, and then someone put it in the microwave for too long...
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #49
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Your post hints of a degree of immaturity. Except for the transmission, your problems have been relatively minor. I suspect the transmission was your fault due to slamming it through the gears. Yeah I know you won't admit to it, but I sure wouldn't want to screw up the free replacement. BMW might get a bit peeved.

In any case, you aren't out any money, so what are you complaining about? I like to visit my dealer, because he puts out free fresh baked cookies and premium coffee.

My business in in the collector car market, so I have a lot of history and experience with German cars. Of all the Mercedes models made, the CLA/GLA in any configuration would be at the bottom of my list. I remember one review that called it half a Mercedes. About the only thing Mercedes about it is the price especially if you get the turbo.

If you want something reliable that you can bang around in, I'd recommend a Toyota perhaps a Corolla? The only other car close to the 135i and a bit cheaper would be the VW GTI.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #50
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
Your post hints of a degree of immaturity. Except for the transmission, your problems have been relatively minor. I suspect the transmission was your fault due to slamming it through the gears. Yeah I know you won't admit to it, but I sure wouldn't want to screw up the free replacement. BMW might get a bit peeved.

If you want something reliable that you can bang around in, I'd recommend a Toyota perhaps a Corolla? The only other car close to the 135i and a bit cheaper would be the VW GTI.
I'm not the one to judge my maturity (or lack thereof). I can give you stats, tell you that I'm a project manager in the aerospace industry, 35 years old, married 11 years, couple of kids, active in community, don't have any debts. But ultimately, you'd have to ask my friends or peers about how mature I behave. I'd like to assume I manage pretty well, but it's easy to deceive oneself. Did I wreck the transmission? Maybe, but I can't pinpoint the how of doing so. I'd welcome a lesson or two if that could keep me from doing it in the future.

I think your last sentence is maybe the most telling. My expectations were high with this car, I wanted something with great driving dynamics, good power, and that I could depend on. I imagine that's more what the tone of my posts point at; disappointment. Should I have not held BMW to such a standard? Your post hints as much. That may have been my biggest lesson, and let-down. Maybe that's where you're calling me out; I can either enjoy driving, or have long term reliability, but not both. This was my first foray into german engineering, whatever that means, and I was and am naive about what to expect. I gave up function to enjoy a car, and I don't think I'll do that again.

I'm selling the car, and leaving the segment for the time being. I imagine I'll get something similar down the road, as I've never driven something I've enjoyed as much, but it will be my "other" car. As great as it is to drive, it upholds too much of the BMW reliability stereotype and I'm unwilling to tolerate that in my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 04:28 AM   #51
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz
Quote:

I'm not the one to judge my maturity (or lack thereof). I can give you stats, tell you that I'm a project manager in the aerospace industry, 35 years old, married 11 years, couple of kids, active in community, don't have any debts. But ultimately, you'd have to ask my friends or peers about how mature I behave. I'd like to assume I manage pretty well, but it's easy to deceive oneself. Did I wreck the transmission? Maybe, but I can't pinpoint the how of doing so. I'd welcome a lesson or two if that could keep me from doing it in the future.

I think your last sentence is maybe the most telling. My expectations were high with this car, I wanted something with great driving dynamics, good power, and that I could depend on. I imagine that's more what the tone of my posts point at; disappointment. Should I have not held BMW to such a standard? Your post hints as much. That may have been my biggest lesson, and let-down. Maybe that's where you're calling me out; I can either enjoy driving, or have long term reliability, but not both. This was my first foray into german engineering, whatever that means, and I was and am naive about what to expect. I gave up function to enjoy a car, and I don't think I'll do that again.

I'm selling the car, and leaving the segment for the time being. I imagine I'll get something similar down the road, as I've never driven something I've enjoyed as much, but it will be my "other" car. As great as it is to drive, it upholds too much of the BMW reliability stereotype and I'm unwilling to tolerate that in my daily driver.
Manual transmissions rarely go bad on their own....so either you have really bad luck with this one OR you must have done something wrong.

IMO the 1-series is fairly reliable for a BMW and the end of production run is likely even better than the earlier cars.

if I were you I would aggressively get this car sorted during warranty and see how it does....but if you are getting rid of it----good luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #52
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Have BMW buy it back, buy a used E9x M3.
      09-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #53
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
You have a right to be disappointed with you car. Too many people say: "It's a German car, you need to be able to put up with their unique needs, if not than perhaps a Toyota would be a more suitable car for you".

I say bullshit. People are paying a lot of money for their BMW (or Mercedes, Audi, etc). These automakers insist they are the pinnacle of automotive engineering - then own up to it. They should be setting the benchmark for not only excellence in performance and innovative engine designs (which they do) but in reliability as well.

The Japanese have proven they can match performance and reliability with production cars such as the Acura NSX (I'm not sure how the Nissan GTR fares). The 370Z would be another example. But enthusiasts like us lust after the European brands. BMW knows their buyers will put up with the problems because they are an aspirational brand and can get away with it. How many decades went by with crappy BMW water pumps..? A water pump isn't rocket science.

The OP ought to vote with his feet (and wallet) and walk out of the BMW dealer and over to another brand.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #54
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I do still have the car, but that's mostly because I'm trying not to settle for what's next. I think I've decided on buying the new tacoma, as it would be nice to use at the beach and it's a good choice to hand down to my tall child when he starts driving. But while waiting for the truck I want, I've had to take the 135i in for a number of other issues. Thought you guys would be interested in the rest of the story. First visit was for a coolant leak. Simple hose issue.

Right now it's there because they had to replace a leaking high pressure jet from the headlight washer. It was dumping wiper fluid out at a rate of about a cup overnight while the car was parked (makes for a slippery garage floor).

And while at the dealer getting that hardware ordered and replaced, the dealer's diagnostic equipment fried the window control module, so the doors wouldnt close properly (the windows dont go down at all). At least that's their story. And now that they've replaced that part, their diagnostic equipment can't write to the new module. They've had it ten days so far. Blarg!

Anyways, just more whining on my part. I'm pretty amazed at the sheer volume of issues I've had (this makes ten, two of which I can blame on the dealer). As much fun as this car is to drive when properly sorted, the headache of ownership has spoiled my experience. I trust the rest of my fellow enthusiasts arent suffering near what have been my complaints. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #55
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Last month, the charge pipe blew off and bits of it sucked into the throttle body and held the throttle closed... couldnt get above 1300 rpm. It was towed to dealer and fixed and was told no apparent damage to engine.
Wait, got sucked into what? The N55 does not have a throttle?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #56
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Wait, got sucked into what? The N55 does not have a throttle?!?!?
I don't know much about the internals of the N55, but while it does not have a mechanical throttle linkage to the gas pedal, it certainly has moving parts to regulate fuel and air flow. When they replace the charge pipe the first time, the engine still wouldnt rev over 1800 rpm, so they had to take it back off and clear debris that interfered with whatever you want to call said moving parts.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #57
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
I don't know much about the internals of the N55, but while it does not have a mechanical throttle linkage to the gas pedal, it certainly has moving parts to regulate fuel and air flow. When they replace the charge pipe the first time, the engine still wouldnt rev over 1800 rpm, so they had to take it back off and clear debris that interfered with whatever you want to call said moving parts.
There is no throttle plate. It is all done by the valves. Anyways, does not really matter, tube broke and messed with something in there, or the lack of airflow readings from the MAF put the computer into limp mode.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #58
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
There is no throttle plate. It is all done by the valves. Anyways, does not really matter, tube broke and messed with something in there, or the lack of airflow readings from the MAF put the computer into limp mode.
Actually there is a sort of throttle body. But BMW called it a "throttle valve" bc it only works for the first few degrees when the engine is cold and you start to give the engine some gas pedal input. Once the engine is warmed up the power is all controlled via cam timing and lift via the Vanos. I also seem to recall that the throttle plate only opens up something like twelve degrees or so. ?

See page 66, air intake overview... "#4 throttle valve"

N55 engine pdf...
http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...nformation.pdf

Quote:
I do still have the car, but that's mostly because I'm trying not to settle for what's next...
Have you tried changing the manual trans fluid? I would try that first before selling the car of your dreams/Love. Most shops would probably not charge more than one half to one hours labor for changing your manual trans fluid - plus the fluid cost.

Most guys around here use/recommend Redline MTL...

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

or... Redline ATF-D4 or D6 trans fluid. IF you live in a cold climate go with the ATF-D4 fluid - it flows better at low temps. You will need two liters and it's easy to change(as long as you can get the car up in the air level). Yes, you can use ATF in a manual trans. I use this stuff and love it!

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=7

Another fluid you might look into - that really tends to "fix" marginal syncro wear and tear - is BG's Syncro-Shift manual trans fluid. You will most likely have to buy this stuff from a repair shop as BG doesn't sell to the public. Maybe call around the indi shops in your area.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive...ncro-shift-ii/

I've used syncro-shift in some old cars - and the stuff really works.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #59
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Over the years, German cars have gotten a reputation for not being reliable. It isn't that the cars fall apart, but rather the issues they do have are expensive to fix. With the reliability of other brands mostly Japanese, Americans expect their rides to be bullet proof.

One big problems German manufacturers have is the quality of parts they get from their various suppliers. I could tell you some really horrible and expensive problems that had nothing to do with how the owner drove his car. Fortunately, the quality and reliability of German rides have improved greatly in recent years. For example, recent surveys by Consumer Reports show BMW is moving towards the upper percentiles occupied by brands such as Lexus.

However, BMW does have one big problem of their own creation, the slogan The Ultimate Driving Machine. Given this and the cost of the car, people who buy the brand expect a very high level of performance. What gets lost in all the marketing hype is it's a passenger vehicle not a race car. If you flog and abuse it, it is gonna cost you!

Well getting back to the OP. Except for the transmission, the problems you have had are very minor. They sound like assembly line defects. Even the vaulted Lexus could have these issues.

Now the biggie, the transmission. When they pull it and assuming they examine it, the wrench will be able to tell what the problem was. A grinding transmission sounds like a bad synchronizer. Older BMWs used to have the same issues. The problem could also be due to the owner not knowing how to properly shift a manual.

In any case, it is very foolish to get rid of a new car for these issues. Also, you'll take a huge financial hit on a trade. Once these things are taken care of, you should be able to expect to enjoy a lot of problem free miles if you don't drive the car like Barney Oldfield.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #60
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I wonder if your issues have more to do with not driving it enough than anything else. Stop and go traffic, and short trips put more wear on a car than anything else (other than track time i suppose)
      02-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #61
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

I must say, I drive my car pretty damn hard, and it drives better now than it does when I first got it.

The previous (2nd) owner was a dentist who put on less than 10kms a year, and babied it like his own child, and the first owner sold it with less than 15kms on the odo because he lost his job.

I'm not sure if I got a gem or not, but it's taken some spirited driving like a champ. This is my first manual car; I learnt to drive manual on the drive home (6 hour road trip to go scuba diving, car was on the way), and I'd like to say I'm a fast learner but I have made a few mistakes (ground a 3rd gear once or twice).

Moral of the story, the car can definitely take some abuse if you get the right one. In my unprofessional opinion I'd say you got a lemon.
      02-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #62
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now the biggie, the transmission. When they pull it and assuming they examine it, the wrench will be able to tell what the problem was. A grinding transmission sounds like a bad synchronizer. Older BMWs used to have the same issues. The problem could also be due to the owner not knowing how to properly shift a manual.

In any case, it is very foolish to get rid of a new car for these issues. Also, you'll take a huge financial hit on a trade. Once these things are taken care of, you should be able to expect to enjoy a lot of problem free miles if you don't drive the car like Barney Oldfield.
I asked to get feedback on the transmission issue, but the dealer just swapped it and shipped the old one away. I'll not hear about it again. Maybe I suck at driving a stick, but if so I've been inept at it for a long time. Wouldnt be the only thing that fits in that list.

Foolishness is in the eyes of the owner, I suppose. Had I leased the car I'd be in the exact same financial position (based on what the lease payment calculations where when I bought and what I've got worked up on a trade value, I've owned the car about 30 months). While I agree that the majority of the issues are minor (don't affect driveability of the car for the most part), they are a nuisance and ruin the overall ownership experience. That, to me, has value.

In the perpetual comedy of owning this car, it took 16 days to fix the headlight washer... They struggled to write code to the newly installed modules for about a week. The 340i they gave me during the window fix was nice, though.

A tacoma feels inevitable in my world, though I'm sure that's blasphemy on this forum. Thanks for all the replies and listening entitled complaints. I still love the idea of the brand in many ways, the M2 hits all the right buttons for me. Maybe I'll give it another shot down the road, but not as my daily driver.
Appreciate 0