BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i, 6MT, LSD, DISA

Installed 335i brakes on 128i

Hello, everyone. I know that others have already posted their projects to install the brakes from the 335i on their 128i. I just wanted to post some pictures of my winter project (winter just ended in the UP). I bought a used set of front 335i calipers on Ebay for $120 and the rear calipers (with the larger 42 mm piston) from a 328i for $80. I cleaned them up, painted them in BMW Phoenix Yellow with paint from G2USA, rebuilt them with brass bushing and new piston rings and dust seals, and installed them this past week with steel braided brake lines. All in all, it was a pretty easy and fun project. Oh, and the front rotors are from a Z4 3.5si, the rotors have the aluminum hat. I used EBC Red Stuff pads all around. Hope you approve!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Afam28298.00
      05-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

They look very nice and fill the space behind the wheel very well. Very nice job!
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
You don't need our approval! lol but it looks like a wonderful winter project and Im sure the brake performance is substantially better!
      05-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks, fellas. Here are a few more photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Brake performance is significantly better. However, despite my best efforts, I do have to bleed the lines one more time. It is difficult to get all the air out after having the calipers completely apart. I am impressed with the braking, but some of it is also due to the new wheels and rubber. I ran Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs in 225/40.

I bought these APEX wheels on Black Friday, and I just got around to buying some rubber for them, and mounting and balancing. I was a little disappointed with the quality of these wheels out-of-the box. I ran them on my balancer straight out-of-the box, and two of them were off almost 6 oz. before I even mounted the tires. I did my best to set the heavy spots against each other, which got the total weight down to less than 5 oz. each. Still, for brand-new wheels, I am surprised.

The whole setup is roughly 40 lbs., or 640 oz., and if you go by the 1% rule-of-thumb, I should not want to use more than roughly 6 oz. I sent an email to APEX, but they never responded. They were very good at responding to all my questions before I bought them, but seem slow to respond now. The other two wheels, which I placed up front, were both pretty good at less than 3 oz. each. If you consider that the tire pressure sensors weigh roughly 1.5 oz., that is quite good. Still, even the TPMS should be considered in the manufacturing process.

Still, I really like how the wheels look.
Appreciate 1
new2the3377.50
      05-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Nice plan with the PheonixYellow paint on Red

How do you like Redstuff pad? Is the break in long? How about quick stops in traffic?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Originally, I bought the rear calipers and painted them Phoenix Yellow with the idea that I would buy the performance brakes for the front. I wanted them to match. Later on, I decided not to go with the performance brake package, but I stuck with the Phoenix Yellow. I like the color a lot.

As for the pads, I cannot tell you much about traffic, since we don't have much of it in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. But, being able to stop suddenly for a crossing moose or elk is very useful! I drove it to the local Indian Reservation to get gas right after I finished the install, which is about 20 miles. There are no traffic lights and zero stop signs, so I just continued the process of bedding in the new pads. I also have to re-bleed the brakes one more time. I am just waiting on brake fluid to arrive.

So far, so good. I am very happy with this project.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #8
CJ///M128
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Do the calipers bolt right up to the stock size rotors or do you have to make modification to the caliper brackets and switch rotors?
      05-29-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

No, you need the larger rotors from a 335i or the Z4 3.5is, which also came with these larger brakes. I bought the Z4 rotors from ECS Tuning. They are considered an upgrade for the 335i. As far as the mounting, the caliper carrier (or bracket) from the 335i bolts right onto the 128i hub up front without any problems. I bought them used, which means they are usually sold as a unit (calipers with holder - used pads, half a brake line, etc.) If you bought them new, you would want to make sure you are getting both the caliper and the carrier.

It is a pretty easy job really, no more difficult than changing your brakes and rotors and bleeding the system. I had plenty of time in the winter, and room in my shop to work, so it was easy to disassemble, clean, paint, and reassemble the calipers. The actual installation is only a couple of hours all around, and I take my time when I am working on the car. It is my therapy.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raposka View Post
Brake performance is significantly better. However, despite my best efforts, I do have to bleed the lines one more time. It is difficult to get all the air out after having the calipers completely apart. I am impressed with the braking, but some of it is also due to the new wheels and rubber. I ran Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs in 225/40.

I bought these APEX wheels on Black Friday, and I just got around to buying some rubber for them, and mounting and balancing. I was a little disappointed with the quality of these wheels out-of-the box. I ran them on my balancer straight out-of-the box, and two of them were off almost 6 oz. before I even mounted the tires. I did my best to set the heavy spots against each other, which got the total weight down to less than 5 oz. each. Still, for brand-new wheels, I am surprised.

The whole setup is roughly 40 lbs., or 640 oz., and if you go by the 1% rule-of-thumb, I should not want to use more than roughly 6 oz. I sent an email to APEX, but they never responded. They were very good at responding to all my questions before I bought them, but seem slow to respond now. The other two wheels, which I placed up front, were both pretty good at less than 3 oz. each. If you consider that the tire pressure sensors weigh roughly 1.5 oz., that is quite good. Still, even the TPMS should be considered in the manufacturing process.

Still, I really like how the wheels look.
Dissapointing to hear about the Aero 7 Wheels. I bought a set of them, but haven't gotten around to mounting yet. Hopefully mine are not as unbalanced as yours.

It's a great looking wheel for the 1 though, reminds me of the 996 GT3 wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Yes, they are great looking wheels. I really like the BMW Style 216 as well. That is what I originally wanted to put on my car, but the Aero 7s were way lighter and offered the perfect offset for the 1 series - since it was designed primarily for our vehicle.

To be fair, I did receive a response from Apex just this past weekend, with an apology for taking so long to get back to me. What I found out is that they do not have any specs for what is or is not acceptable in terms of balance. They only thing that they would replace the wheels for is runout, but I would have to get them Road Force balanced and send them a printout. I do not think the wheels are out-of-round at all, and the nearest Road Force balancer is 250 miles from me.

I was just surprised that the wheels would have such weight variations, especially new out-of-the box. My guess is that I would not see this on BBS wheels, but that is to be expected with a much higher cost.

Don't be discouraged, they are good looking wheels and have good reviews for durability. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #12
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
By using the rear 328i calipers, you were able to use your stock 128i rotors and continue to have the handbrake, correct?
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
CJ///M128
Private
Rep

Quote:
No, you need the larger rotors from a 335i or the Z4 3.5is, which also came with these larger brakes. I bought the Z4 rotors from ECS Tuning. They are considered an upgrade for the 335i. As far as the mounting, the caliper carrier (or bracket) from the 335i bolts right onto the 128i hub up front without any problems. I bought them used, which means they are usually sold as a unit (calipers with holder - used pads, half a brake line, etc.) If you bought them new, you would want to make sure you are getting both the caliper and the carrier.

It is a pretty easy job really, no more difficult than changing your brakes and rotors and bleeding the system. I had plenty of time in the winter, and room in my shop to work, so it was easy to disassemble, clean, paint, and reassemble the calipers. The actual installation is only a couple of hours all around, and I take my time when I am working on the car. It is my therapy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
By using the rear 328i calipers, you were able to use your stock 128i rotors and continue to have the handbrake, correct?
Read this quote up top. I don't think the stock rotors will work with this caliper
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #14
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

May I ask why you didn't just get 135i brakes? They're Brembo 6 pot and already painted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the 135i brakes better than the 335i brakes?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #15
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, PJ. That is correct. The 328i rear calipers are exactly the same in every dimension, except for the fact that they have a larger piston (42 mm instead of the 40 mm stock in the 128i). These are the same rear calipers that you would get if you bought the BMW Performance Brake package. They bolt right up to the stock hub and no need to change the rotors in the rear. However, I kind of wish I had now, because they are all rusty and don't look as nice as the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #16
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrowed View Post
May I ask why you didn't just get 135i brakes? They're Brembo 6 pot and already painted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the 135i brakes better than the 335i brakes?
Hello, Highbrowed. I suppose that it is debatable as to whether or not they are better. If you look through the E90 forums, some 335i owners have "upgraded" to the "Performance" brakes, i.e. the same calipers on the 135i, purely for the aesthetics.

The big difference is that the 335i rotors are 348mm, significantly larger in diameter than the rotors from the 135i. They are also thicker, so they have more thermal capacity. If you look around, you will also see that many people have burnt up their composite brake pistons in the 135i, and have upgraded to steel pistons. This is not an issue with the 335i brakes.

My reasons, however, are more simple.

1) I did not want to spend the money, as I could find the used 335i calipers quite cheap on Ebay. 135i calipers, because they are by Brembo, are quite expensive, even used.

2) I enjoyed the winter project of rebuilding the calipers all around.

3) If I had bought the "performance" calipers, I would have spent the extra $500 upgrading to steel pistons, further escalating the total cost of the project.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #17
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Hey, PJ. That is correct. The 328i rear calipers are exactly the same in every dimension, except for the fact that they have a larger piston (42 mm instead of the 40 mm stock in the 128i). These are the same rear calipers that you would get if you bought the BMW Performance Brake package. They bolt right up to the stock hub and no need to change the rotors in the rear. However, I kind of wish I had now, because they are all rusty and don't look as nice as the fronts.
Haha I knew I read something like that in the past. You're absolutely correct. The pistons are larger and are the same calipers that come with the performance kit for the 128i. And just wirebrush your rotor hats down and apply some rustoleum base coat, then high heat silver paint and a high heat clear. Alternatively, when you do replace your rotors, just spray with a high heat clear coat and they'll look new throughout the lifetime of the rotor.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #18
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
I am jealous, your 128 has better brakes than my 135. I may do this after my warranty runs out, than I can sell my fancy calipers to people who don't know any better. Or maybe just trade them with someone with an e90 335. Also they do look amazing against the c.r.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #19
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Haha I knew I read something like that in the past. You're absolutely correct. The pistons are larger and are the same calipers that come with the performance kit for the 128i.
yep, we discussed this Euro 325i come with these larger Pistons rears too.

Also another interesting information for those that care.
REAR 335i calipers, will work with REAR 135i Rotors.
On a 128i you will have to loose the hand brake until you make a solution for that.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #20
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrowed View Post
No, they are worse. 335i brakes are beastly, but unforunately, the calipers do look ugly as shit
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #21
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Yes, they are great looking wheels. I really like the BMW Style 216 as well. That is what I originally wanted to put on my car, but the Aero 7s were way lighter and offered the perfect offset for the 1 series - since it was designed primarily for our vehicle.

To be fair, I did receive a response from Apex just this past weekend, with an apology for taking so long to get back to me. What I found out is that they do not have any specs for what is or is not acceptable in terms of balance. They only thing that they would replace the wheels for is runout, but I would have to get them Road Force balanced and send them a printout. I do not think the wheels are out-of-round at all, and the nearest Road Force balancer is 250 miles from me.

I was just surprised that the wheels would have such weight variations, especially new out-of-the box. My guess is that I would not see this on BBS wheels, but that is to be expected with a much higher cost.

Don't be discouraged, they are good looking wheels and have good reviews for durability. Enjoy!
I also liked the 216s, and I would have done a square 18x8.5 setup with them, but at 26 lbs a piece, that's just too heavy for me
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #22
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
No, they are worse. 335i brakes are beastly, but unforunately, the calipers do look ugly as shit
what's your source?
Appreciate 0