E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wow, blinds spots! is it me or do you agree?

06-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
llaroo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i MonacoBlue

Wow, blind spots! is it me or do you agree?

I was out testing a 325 yesterday and couldn't help but notice the massive B pillar on the drivers side when I look to my left. I felt it created an uncomfortable blind spot on my left. As much as I like to use my mirrors I always turn my head too. And when I turn and look to the rear right side of the car when you include the headrests and the C pillar It almost eclipsed a motor cycle beside me. Something I'll overcome after steady driving?

Last edited by llaroo; 06-11-2005 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
zero619
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i

I haven't found the blind spot too hard to cope with though I've only driven the car twice since I got it delivered. As with any new car after a while you'll get used to it and have a sixth sense about these types of things.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
Robbie!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

I have had my car for 3 1/2 weeks now and still have trouble reversing .. its tough to judge the rear
      06-12-2005, 03:08 AM   #4
ryce2go
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

i agree w/ the blind spot when you want to switch lanes on the freeway to the left lane... i've drove the car for 3 weeks now and started to get use to it
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

I haven't noticed the problem with the blind spots...
As far as judging the rear...PDC my friend... PDC
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Besides the ridiculously massive pricing sticker blocking the rear driver side window, I didn't notice a particularly bad blind spot on the E90. I am however a little disappointed that the excellent visibility of the classic BMW "greenhouse" is further diminished on the E90. Its a problem across the whole industry. Its clear that no one looks anywhere but forward whilst changing lanes so I guess automakers are removing those vestigal side and rear windows.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I know what you're saying. It's the whole industry adopting the "coupe like" styling and rooflines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp
Besides the ridiculously massive pricing sticker blocking the rear driver side window, I didn't notice a particularly bad blind spot on the E90. I am however a little disappointed that the excellent visibility of the classic BMW "greenhouse" is further diminished on the E90. Its a problem across the whole industry. Its clear that no one looks anywhere but forward whilst changing lanes so I guess automakers are removing those vestigal side and rear windows.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As long as you check your mirror in addition to looking over, you should be OK
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

are you used to driving a coupe?????

I was and the longer doors of a coupe mean that the B pillar is farther back and not in your way. I guess we'll all have to adapt to it
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2005, 10:02 PM   #10
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

I agree with the blind spot, i almost smashed into two cars already trying to turn left. You just gotta turn your head and look, that's all.

Be safe people!

Nathan
[ US 2010 X5 3.0 | Space Gray | Black Nevada Leather | Dark Bamboo Wood Trim | Premium Package | Sport Activity Package | Premium Sound Package | Technology Package | Heated Front Seats | Multi-Contour Seats | Smartphone Integration | Space Saver | iPhone 3GS ]
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 02:59 AM   #11
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Does everyone know the proper technique for adjusting your side mirrors? Here it is:

1. When sitting in the driver's seat, lean to your right toward the passenger seat until your head is right on the centerline of the car. Now, adjust the passenger mirror so that you see everything directly behind the car. Once you sit back to your original postion, the passenger mirror should be in the EXACT spot that your blindspot is.
2. Continue sitting in the driver's seat and lean forward as far as you can, putting your head almost ontop of the stearing wheel. Now, adjust the driver's mirror the same way as before.

By adjusting your mirrors like this you should have zero blind spots. You can test it by letting another car slowly overtake you. You should first be tracking the car in your rearview mirror. As the car passes the visibility of the rearview mirror, you should see it appear in one of the passenger mirrors (depending on what side the car is of course). It takes about a week or so to get used to this, but once you get used to it you'll find it hard not to drive this way. Trust me, it's saved my ars plenty of times. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #12
llaroo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i MonacoBlue

wow! thank you very much. I'll have to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

That sounds like it rocks. I will have to try it.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #14
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

This bothered me at first but I got used to looking between my seat and the pillar, and I'm now comfortable with it.

My biggest annoyance though is how much the rear view mirror blocks my view through the front windshield. I'm 6'2 and I find that I have to bend down in awkward ways to see, for example, the upper body of people crossing the street in front of me (from the right side of the street). My seat is set in the lower most position.

This is not a new problem for me, but in some cars that has a double-pivot mechanism holding the rear-view mirror in place, I was always able to use the joint on the windshield to push the mirror all the way to the top, then use the second joint to adjust the mirror to properly see behind me. This caused the mirror to be as high as possible giving me the most visibility possible. On the E90, there is only one joint to adjust the mirror position (With the large rain-sensing mechanism behind it) so I cannot raise the position of the rear-view mirror.

It's not that I can't get used to it, it is just frankly quite annoying.

Last edited by silverado; 06-13-2005 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #15
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I Graphite

that mirror adjustment advice sounds great. As far as visiblilty goes my E90 is way better than my old integra - talk about blind spots!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 10:36 PM   #16
matrix
Private
Rep

Voltron1011 is right. I recently took the AAA Driver Improvement Course (trying to remove some points from my License due to a speeding ticket) and that's the same technique they taught regarding the adjustment of the side mirrors. It feels wierd at first but you'll get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #17
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
My biggest annoyance though is how much the rear view mirror blocks my view through the front windshield.
True that. This is the first thing I noticed, I was test driving and came to a traffic light (suspended in air type) and just could not see it. But this only happens if you are first car AND the light is placed too close to the front line. rare.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 11:13 PM   #18
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

I would like to add that blind spots can easily be eliminated with correct mirror adjustment. Voltron1011 has great advice. In egypt, where I learned how to drive ( http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=egypt) and in other cities I have lived in, you are not allowed to turn your head. The rule is, always keep your eyes on the road ahead (which I actually believe in because so much could happen on the road infront of you while your head is momentarily facing backwards...)

Consequently, people have developed great mirror adjusting skills. The way I do it, which should give end results like Voltron 1011 is as follows:
The main objective is to be able to see as outwards as possible whilst still maintaining a very small portion of your car's body in the mirror view to act as reference (to judge outwards distance). In addition, the mirror should be tilted downward slightly to have a view of the road (to judge backward distance). That said, sit back with you head against the headrest (centered). Turn the left mirror all the way out till you can just see your car's body. Tilt downward so you can just see the road. Do the same for the right.

Now, if this does not cover the blind spot (every car is different) then a slight lean forward will give you an even wider angle and should cover it. However, this also means that the reference point (the car's body) will disapear from the mirror. But thats fine, because it will still be in your memory (because it was just there before you leaned forward) and you will be able to judge distance accordingly.

There you have it, sorry if I was not good at explaining. But I am applying this very traditional technique to the e90 and I am not having any problems. On the contrary, if I do decide to turn my head, all I will see is a pillar!!

good luck
skimo
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2005, 06:46 AM   #19
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
i did the BMW driver training here in Toronto. and basically, if you have your mirrors set up correctly....you can eliminate 90% of the blindspot on the 330...we were driving the E46 though..but on my e90 i set up my mirrors the same way and havent had a single issue....never worried about it.

for your driver side mirror....move your head over so that you are almost touching the window with your head and then set up the mirror so that you can just see the back end of the car....for the passenger mirror...move your head to the center of the car and then do the same thing....position it so you can see the back of the car just a bit....that might help.