BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2015, 03:20 AM   #1
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i msport convertible

Exclamation Sea foam and intake valve cleaning

So I've read a lot on the carbon build up on the intake valves and it looks to be a pita DIY job.

So I've invested in a can of sea foam cleaner.

Hoping that this will eliminate the need for removing anything and instead inserting the cleaner directly into the intake to clean it out.

I have read that Bmw use a sea foam like cleaner when they do it, maybe they do not insert it through the system but instead remove everything and clean by hand/small brushes or something, but there must be a way for us to do this much easier.

Now a few questions firstly before I go ahead.

1) is the sea foam safe to use on the n54 intake system.

2) where is best to insert the sea foam to clean the valves?

3) engine must be running?

4) if anyone has done this with good results I would love to know.

5) does it damage the catalyst?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by Beasted; 09-19-2015 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
It won't work, I've been in the N54 community since 09 and there were members back then that tried it with no success. I've had my intake valves cleaned before and was in the shop watching the tech through out the cleaning process and there's no way any chemical is going to clean that stuff off.

If you do insist on doing it I recommend using the vac line that connects the DV's to the intake manifold. If you spray it through the intake, it'll hit the turbo's first which is no bueno.

Search you'll see it won't make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Think I'm just going to remove everything and clean them myself with some carb cleaner and brushes, will close of valves as I do it and use a medium wire brush set and syringe to remove the carbon build up.

Also once the valves are clean I'm going to replace the plugs, fill the tank and add some cataclean.

Also im due to do a oil change and is engine flush additive safe?

After everything is cleaned and changed what is the best products to use to avoid such harsh build up? Oil catch can has been mentioned and meth also a few other products which I can't remember

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Honestly, just walnut blast it...
      09-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
GR1P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

Skip all the products and nonsense.

Walnut blast the valves and get an oil catch can (OCC)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I have a friend with an Audi RS4 (B7)... he had pretty bad carbon buildup on his valves. He removed the intake manifold and used picks and brushes(for cleaning rifles/guns) on his vales. One thing he told me that made this job much easier is for two days before it went at the business of picking the carbon off the valves... he would spray down the intake valves with Seafoam. Once in the morning and once at night, for two days. He said the seafoam softened up the carbon where it would come off a lot easier.

I don't think there is any product that will magically remove the carbon.

I also saw on YouTube(for what its worth) that Volkswagen USA has a fuel injector cleaner they say will prevent carbon build up. I've been meaning to swing by my German dealer and see how much they want for a few cans.

VW part number: G001 780 M3

I think also BG Products makes some Direct Injection cleaners for our cars as well.

Bottom line is... the only way to rid your engine of carbon is to remove the intake manifold and have at the carbon with either picks or some sort of media-blasting like Walnut shells or other media shot at the back of the intake valves.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Install a meth system, that will clean it up after a while.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #8
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Install a meth system, that will clean it up after a while.
Yea have thought about a meth kit, but... I only use my 35i for daily use really, and not sure on uk roads it would pass m.o.ts and such.

I don't know much about the meth except it runs at about 104 octane and is mainly used for race built engines.

my 135i will only have chargepipe and hks bov, cat back system, dual intake cones, and a stage one remap. Edit- nearly forgot a forge fmic too!

So not sure about meth but I may invest in the walnut blasting kit off ebay.

cheers

Last edited by Beasted; 09-20-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #9
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1P View Post
Skip all the products and nonsense.

Walnut blast the valves and get an oil catch can (OCC)
Any link to a decent priced occ complete kit pal? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #10
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Just walnut blast it.

I sourced the tools and it cost less than what people charge to do the service. I blasted my car last week and you certainly don't want to do it by hand. It would be several hours of cleaning bent over the engine bay. Your back will be sore after a few hours and you would have probably only done half the job. After I walnut blasted a port, there were a few small spots that needed scraping and even those bits were very tedious to clean.

Lets pretend you don't get tired after several hours bent over scraping your intake. If you did it by hand, the carbon itself isn't that hard, you can scrape it off rather easily. But all the bits of carbon flakes off and collects at the bottom of the valves. You really need an air duster to get everything out, but that will make a mess.

Oil catch cans catch a bit of oil but you'll still accumulate carbon build up. Personally my opinion is that if a catch can can't prevent carbon build up its not worth buying.

I plan on doing another walnut blast in 1 years time to see how much build up your can get after 10,000kms (just out of curiosity since I have the tools now)
      09-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Just walnut blast it.

I sourced the tools and it cost less than what people charge to do the service. I blasted my car last week and you certainly don't want to do it by hand. It would be several hours of cleaning bent over the engine bay. Your back will be sore after a few hours and you would have probably only done half the job. After I walnut blasted a port, there were a few small spots that needed scraping and even those bits were very tedious to clean.

Lets pretend you don't get tired after several hours bent over scraping your intake. If you did it by hand, the carbon itself isn't that hard, you can scrape it off rather easily. But all the bits of carbon flakes off and collects at the bottom of the valves. You really need an air duster to get everything out, but that will make a mess.

Oil catch cans catch a bit of oil but you'll still accumulate carbon build up. Personally my opinion is that if a catch can can't prevent carbon build up its not worth buying.

I plan on doing another walnut blast in 1 years time to see how much build up your can get after 10,000kms (just out of curiosity since I have the tools now)
Totally agree and I don't need more back pain, a quick easy job will be better.
As mine has just hit 43.5k i assume it needs to be done.

As far as I am aware all I need is this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/371421529429
And a Hoover.

Plus the tools to remove and refit the intake parts.

I will probably fit a catch can even if I collects small amounts, at least it's something. Like you will do it yearly too but will check with a scope too which I can get form work which is good.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasted View Post
Totally agree and I don't need more back pain, a quick easy job will be better.
As mine has just hit 43.5k i assume it needs to be done.

As far as I am aware all I need is this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/371421529429
And a Hoover.

Plus the tools to remove and refit the intake parts.

I will probably fit a catch can even if I collects small amounts, at least it's something. Like you will do it yearly too but will check with a scope too which I can get form work which is good.
Don't forget a decent compressor + various air fittings if you don't already have one. You'll also need to get intake and throttle body gaskets.

I am from Australia so the overseas shipping for that gear would have been extremely expensive. I bought the cylinder head intake adapter from ECS tuning and bought everything else separately locally

Adapter:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/81292208037/ES2165972/

Took me a while to get everything going:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161290

Make sure you get a shop vac and not a household hoover. Basically your 10KG bag of shells will end up in your vacuum cleaner
      09-21-2015, 03:54 AM   #13
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Don't forget a decent compressor + various air fittings if you don't already have one. You'll also need to get intake and throttle body gaskets.

I am from Australia so the overseas shipping for that gear would have been extremely expensive. I bought the cylinder head intake adapter from ECS tuning and bought everything else separately locally

Adapter:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/81292208037/ES2165972/

Took me a while to get everything going:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161290

Make sure you get a shop vac and not a household hoover. Basically your 10KG bag of shells will end up in your vacuum cleaner
Yea the eBay kit comes with everything apart from a compressor, airline dryer and filter.

Also will buy from Bmw throttle and intake gaskets.

I can source a vacuum and a compressor pretty easily.

I'm getting a endoscope from work today to check the valves, any suggestions where to insert this to view the valves?

Love your write up and how you did yours. Must admit I'm not looking forward to it at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:08 AM   #14
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasted View Post
Yea the eBay kit comes with everything apart from a compressor, airline dryer and filter.

Also will buy from Bmw throttle and intake gaskets.

I can source a vacuum and a compressor pretty easily.

I'm getting a endoscope from work today to check the valves, any suggestions where to insert this to view the valves?

Love your write up and how you did yours. Must admit I'm not looking forward to it at all.
Here are the part numbers:

BMW Engine Intake Manifold Gasket (pack of 6) - Genuine BMW 11617547242
BMW Fuel Injection Throttle Body Mounting Gasket - Genuine BMW 13547522361

Not strictly necessary but good idea if you are on the original charge pipe gasket:
BMW Charge Pipe O-Ring - Genuine BMW 13717568031

People have suggested using an oil filter gasket as a substitute but I have found it to be a bad fit (too big, requires too much force to be able to get the clip back in)

Unfortunately you can't look at the valves without removing the intake manifold. There's no holes big enough in the manifold to poke a small camera through. You could inspect the cylinders though but they'll probably be pretty clean anyway.

To be honest, for me it was more stress sourcing all the parts and stuff than doing the procedure.

Here in Australia there are not many shops who can do the walnut blasting procedure. A lot of the BMW dealerships give you a blank stare if you ask about it. So the few shops that can do the service charge a buttload of money >$500. Is this the same case in the UK?
      09-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #15
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks ever so much mate, I'll start off by getting the correct o rings and gasket sets, then I will buy the kit off eBay, then source the compressor and shop vacuum.

Then should be good to go, if I cannot inspect the valve themselves I will just go ahead and do the procedure.

I haven't got a clue what Bmw charge here in the UK but I assume it will be over priced anyway.

I'll give them a call and let you know.

Thanks pal
Appreciate 0