BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
themasonryan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135I Space Grey

HELP. New camshaft position sensor still isn't reading

So I was getting a long crank and when driving my would go into limp mode and show a DSC malfunction, I read the codes and it said it was the camshaft posit, so I got a new one and a new o ring for it (old one was green, new one was black. when installing i noticed a good amount of oil around the sensor and on it when i pulled it out, after installing everything Im still getting the code and im still in limp mode. also note that the old sensor popped out and the new one just kinda of sat in, maybe it wasn't seated all the way but i figured tightening the bold would fix that.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Mybimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 118d & E82 135i

Try cleaning the sensor connector (wire loom) with contact clear or alcohol. You mentioned the sensor had oil and shit on it. The connector maybe dirty.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #3
themasonryan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow and try and make sure the sensor is seated properly. Does anyone know what fuse controls the crankshaft sensor
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themasonryan View Post
I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow and try and make sure the sensor is seated properly. Does anyone know what fuse controls the crankshaft sensor
In your glovebox, push the little shock absorber-looking thing back (releasing it from lid). Then, there are two tabs on either side of the lid. One is near the front on the right side, the other is back on the left side. Push those in, and pull down the lid. There's a white plasticky card in there, this has your car's fusebox diagram and has a table with the symbols of different systems, and then the fuse numbers. You can go through and check each of them off, also make sure you check any related system...

Good luck!
      02-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
themasonryan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themasonryan View Post
So I was getting a long crank and when driving my would go into limp mode and show a DSC malfunction, I read the codes and it said it was the camshaft posit, so I got a new one and a new o ring for it (old one was green, new one was black. when installing i noticed a good amount of oil around the sensor and on it when i pulled it out, after installing everything Im still getting the code and im still in limp mode. also note that the old sensor popped out and the new one just kinda of sat in, maybe it wasn't seated all the way but i figured tightening the bold would fix that.
Ended up pulling it back out and cleaning the connector and then seated it nice and snug before tightening the bolt all the way, started her back up and it worked fine

Here's a pic of her all cleaned up.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

So it was installation error? I get those too...ha ha. where did you get the part from?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
themasonryan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gasser View Post
So it was installation error? I get those too...ha ha. where did you get the part from?
Yea it was lol. Got the sensor from advanced auto parts
Appreciate 0