BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

Run Flat Tyres

I am looking at changing my standard run flat tyres on my 118d Sport to Non run flats, the Rim size is 17". Has anyone done this and is there a noticeable difference in handling, (especially in the wet)?
      01-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I thought about changing my RFT's... but recently had a flat and was very impressed with the RFT's - coped really well with the puncture, able to drive steady and eventually got them changed.

Now running on 2 x new rear Dunlop RFT's which appear to be a huge improvement in wet weather grip, but I am getting some additional tramlining.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Lopster
Petrol Power!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125i MSport, SGM/Coral, AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I thought about changing my RFT's... but recently had a flat and was very impressed with the RFT's - coped really well with the puncture, able to drive steady and eventually got them changed.

Now running on 2 x new rear Dunlop RFT's which appear to be a huge improvement in wet weather grip, but I am getting some additional tramlining.
I can vouch for the run flats performance when flat, having had them on a cooper S and now on the 125i. When thw warning ligt comes on theres no need to panic as even when the tyre is COMPLETELY flat you can make very good progress safely. I would never change the RFTs for 'normal' tyres for this one reason.

This brings me onto a related question: would anyone hazzard a guess why i would get TWO punctures in short spaces of time on the SAME wheel? First one at 800 miles on the clock and the next at 1000 miles. I've check the obvious which is nails/glass on my drive etc but no luck. Could there be an alloy problem? I took out the tyre insurance and it paid itself back with one claim (£250 for the rear on a 261 alloy). But they're gonna start asking questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I have just changed from 17" RFTs to 17" non RFTs on my 335d.

The difference is amazing - much smoother ride, the wet weather performance is MUCH better (I went for Conti SC3s) and the car now feels "right." Also tramlines far less.

I bought a Ring 12v tyre compressor (£22 - automatic too) and some Tyreweld.

My R32 Golf was the same (with Michelin PS2s) and no problems.

Do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
///Mike135i
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: E82 M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post

The difference is amazing - much smoother ride, the wet weather performance is MUCH better (I went for Conti SC3s) and the car now feels "right." Also tramlines far less.

Do it.
I am tempted to go down this route and at the same time change the springs for either KWs or Eibach's to compramise for the softer tyre and drop it a little for a more agressive stance. This would also be far cheaper than changing a set of RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post

Do it.
I have changed to non RFT's previously on a 3-Series but they were 18" and was wondering if it possible to do on 17" based on your advice I think i might go for. Just need to wear out the current RFT first!