BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

WoW! Fairly strong words - ehh? We all knew the 1M would be a home run.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #24
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
      05-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #25
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

goose pimples baby!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #26
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I disagree. I think it would have been pointless and waste of resources to design a brand new engine when you already have a great engine in N54. However, I do wish is that they had given 1M a bit more power by increasing the boost level. Maybe close to 370hp or so. But if they did that then this car would have been faster then M3 in straight line as well as handling.

I guess where BMW dropped the ball after market tuners will pick it up. A simple chip not costing huge amount will cause this car to show M3 tail lights while providing better MPG in day to day driving.

I love the M3 and its carbon fiber roof, DCT option and overall more roomy rear seats and better looks. But I have to say 1M is no joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
I still think an M car should have a new engine.. if they were targeting 335HP they should have made a new non Turbo I6 3.5L to get that horse power.. otherwise this is a wet dream car..
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #27
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I disagree. I think it would have been pointless and waste of resources to design a brand new engine when you already have a great engine in N54. However, I do wish is that they had given 1M a bit more power by increasing the boost level. Maybe close to 370hp or so. But if they did that then this car would have been faster then M3 in straight line as well as handling.

I guess where BMW dropped the ball after market tuners will pick it up. A simple chip not costing huge amount will cause this car to show M3 tail lights while providing better MPG in day to day driving.

I love the M3 and its carbon fiber roof, DCT option and overall more roomy rear seats and better looks. But I have to say 1M is no joke.
amen on the best replie to all this bull!!!! btw after 8 years of driving the STI i recently test drove my sales rep m3 with bmw perf exhaust....loved the whole package...loved the interior!! loved the sound ...thought to myself where is the torque?! gave it back to the rep,ordered a 1m two hours after riding my rattle plagued STI with gobs of torque back home...viva los turbos i say
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #28
Michael Harley
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
They don't know which is quicker? How about using a stopwatch?

You can't simply use a stopwatch when timing laps — timing equipment or GPS-based systems are required. I had neither at my disposal, plus driving the M3 wasn't part of the program (BMW just happened to let me take a few laps).

I am sure someone else will compare the two apples-to-apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer View Post
Great review!!
Thanks!

- Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #29
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

Or they could have done that, get the curb weight to 2900 and sell this puppy for 80k like a GT3 RS. Call it 1M GTS and compared to M3 GTS its a steal. Since it's a limited production run anyways who cares if it sells out or not. Imagine the excitement it will generate for the next gen 1M.
      05-14-2011, 04:50 AM   #30
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:

I've always thought BMW took into consideration the life of this car outside of its warranty period and what its reputation would become in 10-20 years. Depending on how rare they might become, I feel like this car is going to become a favorite amongst track junkies. Its well praised chassis and the tuneability of its powerplant combined with the commonality of its major moving parts is a recipe for long term greatness.
What is this car going to be capable of when tuned to 400hp/400 ft.lbs?
      05-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #31
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathis View Post
Hi everybody.
Took delivery of my AW 1 M Coupé today, the first to be delivered in Belgium and Luxembourg.
Drove it for almost 200 km. Impressive, even unbelievable what this car offers in terms of performance for little money compared to an E9x M3
I still have my E46 CSL and will keep it, but this 1 M is by far the most "M" car I have been driving for the past couple of years.
I used to own a E92 but the 1 M is by far the better M car. It reminds my of my former M experiences when I was young and owned a E30 Sport Evolution. Back to the roots for M GmbH. Great deal guys!!!
I can only confirm Dr. Segler's words : IT'S M PURE
And I now understand why M GmbH made such a massive marketing struggle concerning the disclosure of the car.
To all those waiting for theirs to be delivered.....waiting time is worth it. To all others, you don't know what you are missing.

Congrats on your new toy ... we have similar car history (except your csl and my 2002tii) and I love my e46 (keeping it). I have August build and wait is killing me but the positive posts continue to build excitement. Keep up posts as you break her in!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #32
Swedish M3ffia
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHerb View Post
I've always thought BMW took into consideration the life of this car outside of its warranty period and what its reputation would become in 10-20 years. Depending on how rare they might become, I feel like this car is going to become a favorite amongst track junkies. Its well praised chassis and the tuneability of its powerplant combined with the commonality of its major moving parts is a recipe for long term greatness.
What is this car going to be capable of when tuned to 400hp/400 ft.lbs?
You are so wrong. This turboengine will only look dated in the future by better new turbos. Bmw are going towards turbos for the whole range so this car will not be anything special.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #33
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish M3ffia View Post
You are so wrong. This turboengine will only look dated in the future by better new turbos. Bmw are going towards turbos for the whole range so this car will not be anything special.
Looking backwards, a car is special because of what it was capable of when it was introduced - not what subsequently superceeds it with more modern technology in the future. The E30 M3 is the perfect example.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #34
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
This would only be correct if cars become extra special (all bmws are special, btw) solely on the basis of the technology they carry which is not true. History shows it's all about the 'drive' and the 1M clearly has that box convincingly checked. From all accounts, seems this car is extra special and well on it's way to becoming a motoring icon in the vein of the E30 M3, better new turbo tech etc coming on the scene or not.

Congratulations to those who've picked up their 1Ms. I suggest therapy for those waiting on delivery, as in the face of all these reports, that's a wait that is sure to mess with the mind .

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.

Last edited by Yogijet; 05-14-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #35
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mer View Post
Looking backwards, a car is special because of what it was capable of when it was introduced - not what subsequently superceeds it with more modern technology in the future. The E30 M3 is the perfect example.
Well said.

I used to own a porsche 356 regular with a whopping 60 hp (for those unaware, the entire 1948-1965 356 range was far from the most powerful product of the day where even the Super motor made 90 hp and the most potent iteration, the Carrera, topped at slightly over 100hp). That car, still today, is amazing based on its ability to navigate a road course faster than cars with double and, even, triple the power.

M cars are about driver engagement and enjoyment. Thats why the folks at great magazines like CAR or EVO still rave about the e30 M3 Evo. Its not fast compared to a even a modern miata but it was amazing in the 80's and still represents the best of its breed for its time.

Sounds like the 1M is well on its way to establishing a similar legacy.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #36
Swedish M3ffia
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 2011

Yoy cant compare the 1m to the e30 m3. The e30 m3 was an bencmhark. The 1m is not close. What still makes the e30 m3 so special is the roughness and the weight and therefore the handling then. It dont have all the gismoz. The 1m is not an light car. For a car to be truly special it needs to be really good at something, and the 1m is not. It doesnt handle fantastic, but good. The engine is nothing special really. A tuned 35
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #37
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yoy cant compare the 1m to the e30 m3. The e30 m3 was an bencmhark. The 1m is not close. What still makes the e30 m3 so special is the roughness and the weight and therefore the handling then. It dont have all the gismoz. The 1m is not an light car. For a car to be truly special it needs to be really good at something, and the 1m is not. It doesnt handle fantastic, but good. The engine is nothing special really. A tuned 35
I'm not trying to compare the 1M to the E30 M3. I simply used it as an example that a car (any car) can be considered special long after better technology has overtaken it. In fact, IMHO, many cars aren't considered truely special UNTIL better technology has superceeded them
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #38
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

1M appears to be a great machine. Nice performance results and a very thrilling ride. Although, It lacks two key E9x M3 features, sophistication and class. E9x M3 distinguished and still delivering performance and a thrilling ride. M3 is hands down the best all-around car.

Enjoy your 1M's and I'll continue buying each new M3 as they come out. They keep improving and remain the benchmark.

Good job on keeping it exciting BMW!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #39
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
1M appears to be a great machine. Nice performance results and a very thrilling ride. Although, It lacks two key E9x M3 features, sophistication and class. E9x M3 distinguished and still delivering performance and a thrilling ride. M3 is hands down the best all-around car.

Enjoy your 1M's and I'll continue buying each new M3 as they come out. They keep improving and remain the benchmark.

Good job on keeping it exciting BMW!!!
I guess the hooligan in me doesn't score sophistication & class as highly as you! Hey, I'm only 49, I've got lot's of time to think about growing up later in my life - for now, I just want to have fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #40
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
I guess the hooligan in me doesn't score sophistication & class as highly as you! Hey, I'm only 49, I've got lot's of time to think about growing up later in my life - for now, I just want to have fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #41
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
I hope yours is the kind of 49 I have, if I'm blessed enough to get there! Same reason I chose the 135i over a 335i. Stay young!

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #42
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
I still think an M car should have a new engine.. if they were targeting 335HP they should have made a new non Turbo I6 3.5L to get that horse power.. otherwise this is a wet dream car..
Great point. I'm guessing the unique engine would have pushed the price up too far however.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #43
emathis
Private
Rep
Drives: X6//M + 1series V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
Congrats on your new toy ... we have similar car history (except your csl and my 2002tii) and I love my e46 (keeping it). I have August build and wait is killing me but the positive posts continue to build excitement. Keep up posts as you break her in!!!
Thanks. Great to hear you have or had a 2002 tii. One of the few Munich Sports Cars I haven't owned or even driven....a shame on me actually!
You're right in keeping your E46, as the E9x will in my opinion never reach the same status. BMW's last six in line for high revs....a Must for all those who honour the Bavarian Car Manufaturer.
And yes, the little baby toy is so great. It now has almost 500 km and the more I drive it, the more I like it. Can't actually wait to pass the 2000 km inspection and change of liquids for driving it the real way a M car should be driven. You're right in saying waiting is killing you. I have been waiting for 10 months. The first time my dealer told me about it was beginning of July 2010. I ordered it on Dec 22nd 2010 and got delivered the first one. It's an eye catcher, and I already had people in their cars either in front and behind me taking pictures of it and even filming it....
I'm sure you will love yours too.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #44
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

if the 1M got an M specific engine, or even the M3 V8, the complaint would be, nice car but, too bad the 1M costs $53K, that is way too close to the M3...

BMW knew this, so to keep it at $46K they didn't touch the engine, fine by me. And if the next 4-cyl 1M has M-specific motor, fine.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0