BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Tried Optimum No Rinse

I got a bottle from Greg at DI, and used it on my wife's 2008 MDX. The color is a silver gray, so it doesn't show much in the way of swirls or scratches. I washed it in my garage.

Overall, I like how the product worked. The MDX was extremely salty and dirty from daily 90 mile round trip commutes in crappy Mass weather. My process was to fill up two buckets with warm water, and to one bucket I added an ounce of ONR (one ounce per 2 gallons or 8 quarts). The other bucket was just water to rinse off my wash media. I also took the additional step of mixing a half ounce of ONR with water in a spray bottle to pre treat the salt encrusted panels.

I used a sheepskin mitt, which quickly turned nearly black, but appeared to be staying relatively grit free. I would liberally spray a section with the bottle, dip the mitt in the ONR solution, wipe lightly back and forth, flip the mitt, wipe lightly back and forth again, and rinse in the clean water. The clean water quickly became black as well, so I'm not sure how people can do this with only one bucket. For the wheels, which I did last, I used a soft bristle brush dipped in the ONR. This worked remarkably well to get the dirt, salt and brake dust off the wheels and left them shiny.

I was a bit skeptical as I was washing it, I just have this ingrained notion that I was scratching the paint. But then I thought, hey, this truck has been through mutiple automatic car washes, there's NO WAY that this is worse than that. So overall, I like the product. It's easy to use, very convenient to use indoors, and it left the paint nice and shiny. If I wanted to go all out, I would've gone over the whole thing with spray wax afterward, but with the weather these days, it's just gonig to get dirty again quickly.

Now, would I use it on my Bimmer? No, I wouldn't. Not so much because it's not a pretty cool product, but because of how ridiculously soft the jet black paint is. I have a feeling that I'd just make a mess out of it, so I'll stick with my normal hose washing with it. But if I had a lighter color, I certainly would use ONR on it.

- Joe Walsh

Last edited by BlackjackMulligan; 01-14-2010 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Thank you for the detailed review and the purchase. The Optimum (OPT) No Rinse (ONR) is a life saving product for most people who live in cold weather climates, apartments, etc. It's one of our more popular products and for good reason. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Thank you for the detailed review and the purchase. The Optimum (OPT) No Rinse (ONR) is a life saving product for most people who live in cold weather climates, apartments, etc. It's one of our more popular products and for good reason. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Greg @ DI
Certainly, it's a game changer for winter car care- no doubt about it.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
2010AW135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

I would recommend using a grout sponge instead of a sheepskin mitt, as it will release the grit/dirt much better and easier than a mitt where it gets trapped.
      01-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'll give that a try next time, thanks for the tip!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I'll give that a try next time, thanks for the tip!
Tried the grout sponge and liked it much better. It's much easier to control the amount of water/solution you're using, and as stated above, easier to rinse the dirt off the sponge.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0