BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
gavolant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i M-Sport

Wash/Rinse Technique

Just curious what your method is for the rinse cycle on your car.

Lets say you start with the roof and windows, you lather those up then dump your mit into the rinse bucket. At this point do most of you then hit the roof with the water, or continue on to complete the entire car THEN rinse in one fell swoop. I'm assuming the variable here is the outside air temp/ amount of sunlight/shade?

Oh and one more thing, after your wash what do most of you do with your washing mits and waffle towel/chamis to prepare for the next wash?
Thanks for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavolant View Post
Just curious what your method is for the rinse cycle on your car.

Lets say you start with the roof and windows, you lather those up then dump your mit into the rinse bucket. At this point do most of you then hit the roof with the water, or continue on to complete the entire car THEN rinse in one fell swoop. I'm assuming the variable here is the outside air temp/ amount of sunlight/shade?

Oh and one more thing, after your wash what do most of you do with your washing mits and waffle towel/chamis to prepare for the next wash?
Thanks for your responses.
Definitely rinse off each panel after you wash it, otherwise the soap could dry and leave spots. The idea is to keep the car completely wet until you're ready to dry it off.

I rinse my wash media off as much as possible then run it though the washing machine and dryer- don't use a fabric softener though.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You should also use the two bucket method with grit guards. Fill one bucket with water, the other with soap and water. Dip the sponge/mitt in the soapy water, wash the car, dip it into the water only bucket, swish it around, give it a mild wring, and stick it back in the soapy water. This helps keep down any trapped contaminants and greatly reduces swirling.

I dump, rinse and refill the water bucket any time it doesn't look clear, sometimes multiple times per wash.

It's also worth using two mitts/sponges, a new one on the upper surfaces of the car, and an older one on the sills, bumpers and dirtier surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I do the two bucket method as described by REDBREAD and I use two microfibre wash mitts. I used to use sheepskin but now I prefer microfibre. I inspect the mitts as I go. If I get anything on them (grease, tar, any noticeable amount of dirt) that doesn't come off when I rinse in my grit guard bucket, the wash mitt goes into the washing machine. I use a light coloured mitt and any trapped dirt shows up on the mitt. Once it has been thru the washing machine it is as good as new.
I blow the water off with a leaf blower nad then use my microfibre drying towels to get off any residual water. Usually the blower gets 90% of the water off and I only need to use the towels on a few spots.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

I'd suggest the detailing guide for more details. You can also read more about how professionals wash in our Ask A Pro section.
Appreciate 0