BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Adaptive Headlights Not Working - Any way to check failure point?

Recently my wifes 135 blew an orange corner bulb on the passanger side. I swapped it out and it worked fine. After firing the car back up and driving it around, the adaptive headlight warning came on. Now it wont light up when turing the wheel left/right.

Everything else seems to work;
Low/High beams
Auto Level (up/down) on start-up
Angel Eyes, etc.

Is there a way to troubleshoot what the failure point is? I'd drop it off at the dealership but the damn car is 2 months out of warranty. Of course. If I can figure out what's not working, I can certainly replace it myself.

Last edited by M3to335; 11-25-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
Recently my wifes 135 blew an orange corner bulb on the passanger side. I swapped it out and it worked fine. After firing the car back up and driving it around, the adaptive headlight warning came on. Now it wont light up when turing the wheel left/right.

Everything else seems to work;
Low/High beams
Auto Level (up/down) on start-up
Angel Eyes, etc.

Is there a way to troubleshoot what the failure point is? I'd drop it off at the dealership but the damn car is 2 months out of warranty. Of course. If I can figure out what's not working, I can certainly replace it myself.
Sadly, it seems that the headlights are replaced as an assembly. Others have had adaptive lights failures as a result of condensation, either by an improperly replaced cover, or by using aftermarket angel eye kits.

Here is another thread on the issue:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ive+headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Don't want to state the obvious, but I the conditions apply (and I learned the hard way):
a) the headlight switch has to be in Auto position
b) if you're parked, only the passenger side will move
c) when moving, both sides should move.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Sadly, it seems that the headlights are replaced as an assembly. Others have had adaptive lights failures as a result of condensation, either by an improperly replaced cover, or by using aftermarket angel eye kits.

Here is another thread on the issue:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ive+headlights
No aftermarket parts are on this car. If condensation made it's way in (very possible) then what specifically is the failure point and how do I confirm weather or not it's failed. Only the passanger side was opened and corner bulb replaced. You'd think the drivers side would still funtion. Unless it's wired in series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Don't want to state the obvious, but I the conditions apply (and I learned the hard way):
a) the headlight switch has to be in Auto position
b) if you're parked, only the passenger side will move
c) when moving, both sides should move.
Yes, all those apply. Keep in mind, the warning light is on the dash, so yes, its not functioning properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Did you use a BMW bulb?

How did you replace the orange corner bulb? Did you remove the headlamp housing?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
No aftermarket parts are on this car. If condensation made it's way in (very possible) then what specifically is the failure point and how do I confirm weather or not it's failed. Only the passanger side was opened and corner bulb replaced. You'd think the drivers side would still funtion. Unless it's wired in series?
Since you have a warning light on, the quickest way to identify the failure point would be with a code reader.

I have heard the stepper motors themselves are unreliable, but I have not seen a separate part number for them. Sometimes they become detached from the ball joint, but that usually wouldn't throw a code.

If a motor has failed, and a code has been thrown, I would think the controller would be mart enough not to try and drive EITHER motor.

There is a separate ACL module that does have a part number, that is most likely the motor controller. Other than reading the code, I don't know of a simple way to determine if it is the controller or the stepper.

Unfortunately, I have not heard anyone having successfully repaired this feature without replacing the entire headlight assembly.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did you use a BMW bulb?

How did you replace the orange corner bulb? Did you remove the headlamp housing?
I didn't realize BMW made special orange corner bulbs. That's not the issue here, it's the adaptive lights arent functioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Since you have a warning light on, the quickest way to identify the failure point would be with a code reader.

I have heard the stepper motors themselves are unreliable, but I have not seen a separate part number for them. Sometimes they become detached from the ball joint, but that usually wouldn't throw a code.

If a motor has failed, and a code has been thrown, I would think the controller would be mart enough not to try and drive EITHER motor.

There is a separate ACL module that does have a part number, that is most likely the motor controller. Other than reading the code, I don't know of a simple way to determine if it is the controller or the stepper.

Unfortunately, I have not heard anyone having successfully repaired this feature without replacing the entire headlight assembly.
I'll contact BMW and see if they will read the code for me. I'm sure this is going to be cheap. What pisses me off the most is that it's 2 months out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i, A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B.
Quote:

My adaptive feature failed recently after experiencing TONS of condensation in the housing.

I was going to bring it in to bm to have the whole unit replaced but I got new ballast and replaced a few things in there... I'll post pics of what I did when i get home from work
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

And yet another unsolved thread, please delete this useless information. The headlights are repairable and thats why we have this forum.

Last edited by Mr Gasser; 03-25-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #10
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gasser
And yet another unsolved thread, please delete this useless information. The headlights are repairable and thats why we have this forum.
...why are you reviving this then? If you have a solution please post a link to that thread so it's no longer a dead end

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
...why are you reviving this then? If you have a solution please post a link to that thread so it's no longer a dead end
Seriously.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #12
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

I have no solution man.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #13
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

So I need some help and I looked but couldn't find a thread too similar. I installed aftermarket angel eyes and now the adaptive feature does not work. So I'm not completely sure on if this is fixable on my end or if it's fried... Please help!

Also I just got both lights completely replaced because the mounts were broken I would hate to take it right back to the dealership.
Appreciate 0