BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #45
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

[quote=Tijuana;151204]Don't worry, everyone thinks I'm the crazy one, not you. .................................

quote]

05-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #46
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Next time, leave your car exactly where it is, and then have him slowly open his door again. He will have no choice but to accept fault when he sees that the location of damage on your car matches up perfectly with the point of contact of his door.
Haha, and when he opens the door to match it up, he'll just swing it open to make sure theres a ding there.

In all seriousness though. I have gotten dinged twice in 2 months, dif. places, in the same spot. One minor, the other chipped paint and hit on the line, there for making a ding in both panels. Both cases no car was left next to mine when I came back.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #47
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

My sister's brand new Lexus IS parked in the parking lot was dented and scratched by the car next to her, when it pulled out of the parking spot. The baster didn't even bothered to leave a note. It is going to take $1000 to fix the whole thing, but that is why we have insurance.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #48
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

[quote=Tijuana;150927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I
The guy opens his door, slowly (thank god) and then pins his door against my car while he exits his Ford. [/quote]

You really made a scene over this? It's not like the guy was being a jerk and slammed his door into your car. I understand he could have picked a better spot, but did you really expect him to give you his insurance information and offer to pay for your "damage"? Are you really going to call your insurance company over every little scratch?

Come on guys... its a car. I know it sucks when shit like this happens, but do you really expect perfection in your daily driver?

So I am driving a beater car and bump or hit your car and make a dent in it. We both pull over and I say “Come on guy... its a car. I know it sucks when shit like this happens, but do you really expect perfection in your daily driver?” :thumbup:and I refuse to refuse to give you my insurance information. This is exactly what the guy in the SUV did. Does not matter how bad the damage is, it is the fact there is damage even if all he has to do is take it in to be buffed out. I think it could be a hit and run.

It is people like you that have no regard for anyone else’s property that cause these things. Just because you treat your possessions like trash does not mean you have to treat other people’s possessions like that.
      05-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #49
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
Don't worry, everyone thinks I'm the crazy one, not you.

My point wasn't that dents are acceptable and its okay for people not to care about other's property. I just thought calling the cops sounded a bit over the top for someone resting their door against your car. I'd probably call the guy a jerk or something, but I just don't see that taking the guys plates down and/or calling the cops as other's have suggested is warrented in a case where no damage resulted. Surely your local police have better things to do than arrest people who park badly.

Where's a flame suit smiley when you need one?
So at what point do you call the cops. What about if I parked really close to you and opened my door really really hard repeatedly where it makes multiple dents in you car. Do you call the cops then? Oh and I did not do it on purpose, it was an accident “Come on guy... its a car. I know it sucks when shit like this happens, but do you really expect perfection in your daily driver?”

What a piece of work you are!
      05-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #50
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If its in a parking lot its private property and the cops cant do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #51
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

My experience

As usual when parking my car in a public space I tend to park away from all the cars..(pull a Griswald)......so far 2 MCS's an no door dings. As I was walking out I see a 4x4 Dodge Ram quad cab pull up right next to my car......... the damn lot is empty???.......even from a distance you can tell the truck was super close. As I get closer the women opens the door and gets out. I walk up to my car and her door is actually touching my car I tell her politely that her door is touching my car and she just looks at me with a blank stare. I then ask her if she has a problem parking between the white lines.

All of a sudden I see someone in the reclined in the passenger seat with a black hooded sweatshirt and sunglasses. He starts yelling at me for talking to "his lady" and telling me to "F off". Well from this point you can guess what happens.........I come back with some *&%$#@!!!. He starts yelling louder and then tells me "Do you want to die!"............."DO YOU WANT TO DIE!" I'm thinking WTF??.........I dont know what this Redneck has in his truck and I am no fool........time to leave.

Got into the car and left.......thinking how weird that was.
      05-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #52
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
So at what point do you call the cops. What about if I parked really close to you and opened my door really really hard repeatedly where it makes multiple dents in you car. Do you call the cops then? Oh and I did not do it on purpose, it was an accident “Come on guy... its a car. I know it sucks when shit like this happens, but do you really expect perfection in your daily driver?”

What a piece of work you are!
I think you're getting a little too worked up over this.

Your scenario is nothing like the one presented by the OP. Of course in such a case where the actions of the other driver are causing serious damage and the person is not willing to take responsibility, calling the cops might be in order. A guy resting his door on your car may not be the most considerate thing, but is hardly worthy of a call to the police.

I don't understand your calling me out for having "no regard for anyone else’s property" and that I "cause these things". I have never left a dent or scratch in another person's vehicle and take a certain amount of pride in maintaining my own property. However, I also live in the real world where shit happens and I deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #53
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I would have told him yes and waited to see what he would of done, but thats just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #54
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossii View Post
As usual when parking my car in a public space I tend to park away from all the cars..(pull a Griswald)......so far 2 MCS's an no door dings. As I was walking out I see a 4x4 Dodge Ram quad cab pull up right next to my car......... the damn lot is empty???.......even from a distance you can tell the truck was super close. As I get closer the women opens the door and gets out. I walk up to my car and her door is actually touching my car I tell her politely that her door is touching my car and she just looks at me with a blank stare. I then ask her if she has a problem parking between the white lines.

All of a sudden I see someone in the reclined in the passenger seat with a black hooded sweatshirt and sunglasses. He starts yelling at me for talking to "his lady" and telling me to "F off". Well from this point you can guess what happens.........I come back with some *&%$#@!!!. He starts yelling louder and then tells me "Do you want to die!"............."DO YOU WANT TO DIE!" I'm thinking WTF??.........I dont know what this Redneck has in his truck and I am no fool........time to leave.

Got into the car and left.......thinking how weird that was.
These days, do not get into an argument with a stranger unless you are packing heat. There are tons of crazies out there.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #55
d1ez3
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
I would have called the cops. No reason you should take the hit on a deductable.

He was wrong and a well documented police report would have been in your best interest.

Besides an ass like that may have had warrants out.

911 for the win.

Grats for being calm though.

Accidents/mistakes will happen and if he woulda been cool I likely would not have called the cops, but he deserved it a call.
who would call the cops for this?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #56
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

I honestly HATE people that cause door dings!! I''m talking serious, irrational, high-level hatred!!! I want to hurt them... and cause injury to them in a horrible way!!! It's my "button" that should never be pushed.

Getting a ding represents a lack of respect and regard for other people's personal property. The mere fact that someone can be ignorant and uncaring enough to mess up something that is not theirs, and has a typical value between $20,000 and $100.000, is beyond my comprehension.

I have taught my kids since they were very young, that when they get out of the car to carefully and slowly open their doors because we wouldn't want to ding someone else's car. I've taught them that cars are cool and special... and they ARE! That's how it all starts... by teaching our kids. Yet, I see some families where the kids AND the parents all just come flying out with all doors swinging. I want to take those parents aside and smack the shit out of 'em, for being assholes, and also because they are raising future door-dingers!!

BTW, did I mention that I hate door dingers? :wink:
      05-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #57
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
You really made a scene over this? It's not like the guy was being a jerk and slammed his door into your car. I understand he could have picked a better spot, but did you really expect him to give you his insurance information and offer to pay for your "damage"? Are you really going to call your insurance company over every little scratch?

Come on guys... its a car. I know it sucks when shit like this happens, but do you really expect perfection in your daily driver?

pathetic response. you should be ashamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp1_tx View Post
If its in a parking lot its private property and the cops cant do anything about it.
100% factually incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #58
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

I think you handled it very professionally. It's amazing how little some people care about others' property sometimes.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 12:43 AM   #59
F82SO2
Private
Rep
Drives:

shit i would have whooped his ass
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #60
F82SO2
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp1_tx View Post
i have had cops open up my car in a parking lot without even letting me know or any warrant... so thats untrue..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #61
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Ass wipe Ford owner. What did you expect? They don't give a flying flip about their own stuff...they care less about yours.

Moral of the story? Don't park anywhere near another freaking car. Period.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #62
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Ass wipe Ford owner. What did you expect? They don't give a flying flip about their own stuff...they care less about yours.

Moral of the story? Don't park anywhere near another freaking car. Period.
+1 :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #63
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Moral of the story... NEVER LEAVE YOU CAR =)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #64
aumoore
Rep
Drives:

Cut his valve stems. Gives you more time to make a get away and he will have cold pizza before AAA tows him to the nearest tire store.

Actually I would not do this but I have thought about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #65
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

I dont tolerate stupid, careless people.I woulda kicked his ass
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #66
bski
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Hey,
I came back to my 3 a couple of years ago to find my whole drivers door bashed in. Needed a whole new door!!
Totally a pet peeve of mine, do the same as u guys...park in last spot, away from everyone, yep u know it some di*k will always park next to me. You cant win, guess as long as your healthy, nothing else matters, cars can be fixed, cars cant feel pain.
I do know how furstrating it is though.
bski
Appreciate 0