BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

TOP GEAR - Jeremy Clarkson officially dropped

Well it's official now, as some suspected it would be:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

Although yes his character was far from mundane or ordinary, it will be an interesting change to TOP GEAR - UK as whole regardless.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Things are never as simple as they're reported, but punching someone because you weren't "provided" with hot food when you could easily afford to buy some yourself is a bit ridiculous.

Clarkson will make out on this deal anyway. Like they said, a bidding war for him is inevitable.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

I totally agree. Regardless of level of humor, talent, or market share for that matter, physically assaulting anyone is past "acceptable" behavior. I could really care less about Jeremy or his pockets lined with $.... lol. But I will certainly miss his crass, grumpy, and childish interactions with his partners

Here's hoping they fill his spot with another entertaining orangutan I can laugh at.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
I totally agree. Regardless of level of humor, talent, or market share for that matter, physically assaulting anyone is past "acceptable" behavior. I could really care less about Jeremy or his pockets lined with $.... lol. But I will certainly miss his crass, grumpy, and childish interactions with his partners

Here's hoping they fill his spot with another entertaining orangutan I can laugh at.
I say good luck to them, signs point to the other two leaving as well. I dont see the show surviving without Clarkson, with all 3 of them missing it doesn't stand a chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

As long as the show has "interesting and most wanted cars" to test and review, I'll tune in. Some of the banter was corny and annoying anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

its sad but at least we have clarkson island.

03-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

For HBO to pick them up seems like the only viable option.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Latest rumor I've heard is that Netflix is interesting in doing something with them.

I've also seen posted on many sites that the other 2 wont appear without Jeremy, so since they all have contracts that are up for renewal, chances are good that they will all go to Netflix, earn huge raises, and make a ton more money for Netflix, doing the same stuff as before (perhaps with a different name if the BBC owns the rights to that)

The earnings numbers that were thrown around for what that show put into the BBC's wallet are pretty huge, and with something like Netflix you have even further expanded your global reach and audience numbers. If Top Gear continues on the BBC with different presenters, I'd expect the ratings to be a sliver of what they were before.

I'm sure that time will show that the BBC will have failed at shielding the world from the blunt harshness that is Jeremy Clarkson, but they will have spectacularly succeeded at depriving themselves from millions of future revenue. I suppose as a public broadcaster they don't care amount money, they'll just tax people more to make up the difference.
      03-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #9
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I hope the three of them get back together on a show and fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:31 AM   #10
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I certainly was a fan of the show. However, I'm happy to see that the BBC stood up for what was right and didn't succumb to the demands of the general public and the all mighty bottom dollar.

Regardless of what additional details may or may not exist, based on the official BBC report, Clarkson was fully in the wrong and admitted to be. Subjecting any coworker or even a third party to that sort of verbal abuse not to mention the physical assault is despicable behavior and Clarkson should be held accountable for it. It's actually sad that he will most likely wind up coming out ahead financially in the end. All it will do is serve to reinforce to himself and others that that type of behavior is acceptable. The last thing we need is more entitled narcissists running around.
      03-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Problem is he could dish but not take.
When you make fun of whole countries, especially ones in which your country has fought a war with and hundreds of people actually died (UK vs. Argentinia), then your own producer punks you (or not) with cold food instead of hot you punch him. If everybody he's made fun of follows the same logic he would be dead many times over.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
As long as the show has "interesting and most wanted cars" to test and review, I'll tune in. Some of the banter was corny and annoying anyway.
I agree with you. I found the dialog on this show to be a bit annoying most times.

I know I'm in the minority here (which is normally the case) but I find myself rather watching Motor Week over Top Gear because while Motor Week only last a half hour, the cars in review were on camera the whole time whereas Top Gear lasts an hour, but the cars would only see about 25 minutes of camera time.

If I'm watching a TV show dedicated to testing and reviewing cars, I would like to see the actual cars... not three old men ribbing each other for half an hour.

My very humble opinion, of course.
      03-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #13
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
For HBO to pick them up seems like the only viable option.
HBO is a premium channel... they will lose a massive audience this way.

Netflix seems more viable. They could care less about advertising and have cash flow that is insane.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I agree with you. I found the dialog on this show to be a bit annoying most times.

I know I'm in the minority here (which is normally the case) but I find myself rather watching Motor Week over Top Gear because while Motor Week only last a half hour, the cars in review were on camera the whole time whereas Top Gear lasts an hour, but the cars would only see about 25 minutes of camera time.

If I'm watching a TV show dedicated to testing and reviewing cars, I would like to see the actual cars... not three old men ribbing each other for half an hour.

Motorweek is "must see TV" as far as I'm concerned! Wish it ran one hour!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i hate to say it but i couldn't care less about this guy. who cares? he was a racist dick that treated ppl poorly and it finally caught up to him. the worst part is that he'll recover with more and be rewarded for his poor behavior.

in addition, i found his interviews on the show annoying and would often skip past them after the lap time was posted.

he also looks like a dork. haha

to be fair, i don't give a crap about any celebrity and find some peoples obsession with them strange.
      03-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
HBO is a premium channel... they will lose a massive audience this way.

Netflix seems more viable. They could care less about advertising and have cash flow that is insane.
+1

The show has become so predicable and scripted over the years, no way HBO would pick this up. It would have to be a brand new show, new writers, new format, etc.

I agree, Netflix is the way to go.
      03-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

I'll touch in gtron comments...

I'm ok with celebs per say. I can see the enamore with then obviously. Obsession though it's just stupid and lame. I've met several and they are humans too lol. But what gets me is how many folks like, enjoy and encourage "dicks, assholes, and douchesacks"?
Guess is just how I was raised and my own character. I treat and say to people what I want to be said and treated. If I don't have anything pleasant to say, I simply ignore and move on. Why be a Fuking asshole? Life is FAR to short...
If rather be admired than despised.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

The main aspect of TopGear that made it so enjoyable not only to car enthusiasts but regular people (my wife) was Jeremy, Richard and James. The point of the show was not just about cars, but the interaction that the three hosts not only had with eachother but with those around them. The various trips that they took us on, brought us to places that most of us will never get to see in cars that we never get to drive. TopGear was more than just a show about cars, it was a show about enjoying the experiences and antics of the hosts. Plus you got to see some pretty famous people driving a reasonably priced car around a track.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #19
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Motorweek is "must see TV" as far as I'm concerned! Wish it ran one hour!
Got that on the DVR every week.
Appreciate 0