E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Garmin c330 Install: An Alternate to Stock Nav Sysytem

06-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Garmin c330 Install: An Alternate to Stock Nav System

In another thread, some of you asked to see pictures of my semi-permanent install of a Garmin Streetpilot C330. Note that this is installed in my e46 330i, NOT an e90, but I suppose it could be an alternative in the e90 for those that don't want iDrive but DO want Navigation. I like the c330 . . . a lot. That said, we HAVE ordered iDrive/Nav in my wife's e90 330i, scheduled for week 27 (July 4) production.

I've used the Garmin for about two months and it's pretty much balls on accurate (in the DC metro area). I originally had the Garmin on the dash, using the suction cup mount and the unit's built in antenna, but I got tired of removing it all the time (to get it out of temptation range from would-be thieves). For the new install, I purchased (on eBay) a tiny external antenna for $25 (now discreetly mounted on the driver's side dash with the cable routed under the dash to the center console), and also a spare e46 sunglass holder compartment from a junked e46, which I modified so that the Garmin would fit into it. I hardwired the Garmin's power line into the switched white/purple wire behind the console, so the unit powers up and down with the key in the ACC position.

Except for a little glare at full sun, I have no complaints with the Garmin. In fact, I modified a "Boxwave" brand PDA anti-glare screen protector, put it on the screen, and that has helped immensely with the glare.

As a Nav unit, the Garmin is simply fantastic. Yes, touchscreen too! The install is a matter of opinion, but I think it looks reasonably good for a non-stock unit.

For more info on the Garmin unit itself, go to:
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp330/

These guys (where I bought mine) seem to have one of the best deals around:
http://gpsnow.com/gmspc330.htm

Cheers
Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by Kimo; 06-18-2005 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
chef13
Rep
Drives: mon blue 3251

The b**** in the box!
Nice clean install
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
chef13
Rep
Drives: mon blue 3251

Nice clean install. I debated the factory nav, but your "bi*** in the box" looks great.
Appreciate 0