BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnip Gnop View Post
Has anyone heard of "megan racing coilovers". http://www.1xracing.com/megan_racing.../i-520081.aspx

Adjustable dampening, adjustable camber, full height adjustment, all for $800?? That is a wayy better deal than the ST coils.....
I encountered Megan Racing when I was looking for coils last year. The general consensus was "STAY AWAY!" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Other than ride height adjustment, I struggle to see why anyone would want this over a matched shock / spring kit.

I had st V1 on my 335i and thought the ride was not good. It was not terrible, but was bouncier than stock and stiffer than stock. It also didnt really handle any better.

I drove a proper matched spring and shock combo on a 135 and it rode signficantly better.

I do not understand cheap coilover kits.
^Huh? Coilovers are a set of matched springs and shocks in one package. They are perfectly matched by the same manufacturer (KW is a reputable brand), unlike springs and shocks which (what I'm seeing on here at least) is usually something like a Koni shock with a H&R/Eibach spring. Maybe the pre-set dampening of your old coils just wasn't to your liking, or maybe they just sent you some bad coils. But in almost every case, coils are better than springs+shocks especially because they are tuned in house to be perfectly matched. I know because I spent months researching (albeit casually), and I was set on getting Koni Sports (the yellow ones) + H&R Sport springs, before talking to lots of people and deciding on getting my ST's.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

You'll really appreciate coilovers after you change the rear subframe bushings as well.

The stockers are way too soft, and have the rear bouncing and wiggling a lot under load. Stiffer springs and shocks will work the subframe bushings harder. They really change the car for the better.

If you can choose spring rates, I'd ask someone knowledgeable about the proper rates to get, as the rear has a weird wheel rate due to the spring location and many people are running stiffer rates to attain the proper balance. I know Harold at HP Autowerks or Beau at PSI (Performance Shock Inc) can help you.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

^Huh? Coilovers are a set of matched springs and shocks in one package. They are perfectly matched by the same manufacturer (KW is a reputable brand), unlike springs and shocks which (what I'm seeing on here at least) is usually something like a Koni shock with a H&R/Eibach spring. Maybe the pre-set dampening of your old coils just wasn't to your liking, or maybe they just sent you some bad coils. But in almost every case, coils are better than springs+shocks especially because they are tuned in house to be perfectly matched. I know because I spent months researching (albeit casually), and I was set on getting Koni Sports (the yellow ones) + H&R Sport springs, before talking to lots of people and deciding on getting my ST's.
cheap coilovers typically run stiffer springs than the dampers are capable of handling.

also, no one ever speficifies the length of the dampers, and what ride height matches exactly with the length of the dampers to allow for an OEM suspension travel length.

running shorter springs with stock height dampers is a recipe for a bad suspension setup.

thats why i agree with you on the hr and koni or eibach and koni setup

i consider only the hr cup kit and eibach pro system kit the only matched spring / shock combos available for this car.

i would never run hr because i dont like the fact that their springs are very stiff and IMO the dampers cant handle the stiffness. eibach is a better choice for a dd

if you really want a high performance coilover setup, something like AST or TCK with true shortened dampers and linear spring rates is the way to go
      06-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #26
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

cheap coilovers typically run stiffer springs than the dampers are capable of handling.

also, no one ever speficifies the length of the dampers, and what ride height matches exactly with the length of the dampers to allow for an OEM suspension travel length.

running shorter springs with stock height dampers is a recipe for a bad suspension setup.

thats why i agree with you on the hr and koni or eibach and koni setup

i consider only the hr cup kit and eibach pro system kit the only matched spring / shock combos available for this car.

i would never run hr because i dont like the fact that their springs are very stiff and IMO the dampers cant handle the stiffness. eibach is a better choice for a dd

if you really want a high performance coilover setup, something like AST or TCK with true shortened dampers and linear spring rates is the way to go
This man speaks the truth.

I have run jap coilovers and many matched shock and spring kits.

I'll probably put the B12 pro kit(Bilstein/eibach) in my 130i.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #27
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
This man speaks the truth.

I have run jap coilovers and many matched shock and spring kits.

I'll probably put the B12 pro kit(Bilstein/eibach) in my 130i.
I realize you are an Aussie but "Jap" is a derogatory term here in the States. Please edit your post or take your racist comments somewhere else.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I have KW V1s and they were on sale for abut $1200 for the set. I like them a lot, very well made ((BMW quality) and offer ride heir adjustability and a smooth ride. The only other suspension tweak I am considering is to have sway bars. Back end body roll is still a little more than I would like. The trouble is that DC area roads are kind of a mess. The KWs alone, do a great job with road transitions, and I can go full speed through areas with undulating road surfaces where most cars have to slow way down.

It would be nice to have less body roll, but that is always a trade off with ride comfort.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #29
Detailer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

I have just installed H&R Premium Performance Coilovers and these coilovers seems to fit your needs perfectly. Amazingly smooth ride, do not go too low, priced within your budget (currently on special at TireRack).

At their lowest setting in the rear

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailer View Post
I have just installed H&R Premium Performance Coilovers and these coilovers seems to fit your needs perfectly. Amazingly smooth ride, do not go too low, priced within your budget (currently on special at TireRack).
Thanks for the info! The car looks great, I will look into these as well.

Edit: I can't find these on tirerack once I put my cars info in....do you have a link?

Last edited by Gnip Gnop; 06-07-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #31
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I've had cheap coilovers in the past on another car. It was awful. Fwiw, they were of the same ilk as the megans. Blah, awful crap.
      06-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #32
Detailer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:

Edit: I can't find these on tirerack once I put my cars info in....do you have a link?
I don't know why they don't list it for 2011 models... I'd call H&R to find out if they have a listing for '11 135.

Here's the link for an '08.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...8&autoModClar=
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #33
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:

parts for the 2010's fit the 2011's

id strongly consider spending more on a higher quality set of coils, or getting a matched spring / shock set
      06-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #34
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
parts for the 2010's fit the 2011's

id strongly consider spending more on a higher quality set of coils, or getting a matched spring / shock set
Everyone with ST coils seem happy they bought them.
      06-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Smile

Quote:
its up to you man.

i am just telling you my experience on my 335.

i have used all of the following on either m3's or 335i or 135i

-ST v1 on my 335i
- HR springs on 335i with bmw performance dampers
-eibach with koni shocks on e46 m3
-PSS10 on e46 m3
-TCK S/A on e46 m3
-eibach pro system kit on 135i

By far the two best setups were the TCK and the Eibach pro system kit. The TCK was amazing for handling, and rode quite well as well. Going back, id do the D/A setup next time because it improves the ride signficantly over the S/A.

That said, the Eibach pro system kit was better imo for a dd with limited or no track time (like me for example, 4 or so track days per year). It rides great and gives the car a great look. It improves handling a touch, but mainly gives you that stock feel while being a little lower.

Ideally, to truly improve handling on a budget, IMO a system like the eibach pro system kit combined with m3 suspension parts would likely be the best option.

Just my two cents from experiencing all of the above setups. I would not consider any of the other products in the class of the two i mentioned.

Take it fwiw
      06-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #36
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
its up to you man.

i am just telling you my experience on my 335.

i have used all of the following on either m3's or 335i or 135i

-ST v1 on my 335i
- HR springs on 335i with bmw performance dampers
-eibach with koni shocks on e46 m3
-PSS10 on e46 m3
-TCK S/A on e46 m3
-eibach pro system kit on 135i

By far the two best setups were the TCK and the Eibach pro system kit. The TCK was amazing for handling, and rode quite well as well. Going back, id do the D/A setup next time because it improves the ride signficantly over the S/A.

That said, the Eibach pro system kit was better imo for a dd with limited or no track time (like me for example, 4 or so track days per year). It rides great and gives the car a great look. It improves handling a touch, but mainly gives you that stock feel while being a little lower.

Ideally, to truly improve handling on a budget, IMO a system like the eibach pro system kit combined with m3 suspension parts would likely be the best option.

Just my two cents from experiencing all of the above setups. I would not consider any of the other products in the class of the two i mentioned.

Take it fwiw
I hear ya. Thanks for the advice! I will take it in consideration. I have so many options right now I really need to just make a decision fast and go with it.
      06-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #37
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya. Thanks for the advice! I will take it in consideration. I have so many options right now I really need to just make a decision fast and go with it.
considering the price difference between the pro system kit and the stv1, you could add m3 sway bar and bushings in addiiton to the kit for the same price as the v1.

no chance the v1 would handle better than that setup

good luck either way, and let us know what you choose
      06-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #38
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Not me
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #39
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:

I'm in the same case as you (the only difference is I don't have to take a quick decision ) that's why I folly your thread very carefully
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #40
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
I'm in the same case as you (the only difference is I don't have to take a quick decision ) that's why I folly your thread very carefully
I wish I would have started researching options a while ago, I hate being rushed.

Quote:
considering the price difference between the pro system kit and the stv1, you could add m3 sway bar and bushings in addiiton to the kit for the same price as the v1.

no chance the v1 would handle better than that setup

good luck either way, and let us know what you choose
I have been thinking about this, and it sounds like my best option.
I think I will get the ST coilovers now so I have the look I'm going for by the time of the show I want it to be done for. I will order the m3 sway and bushings soon after, I won't be able to afford everything at once given the fact I just spent a bit on tires...
That combination should give me a great DD, and occasional auto cross car.
      06-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #41
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

shop around if you go with ST and see if you can pick up one thats part of the last shipment, not the new shipment. my roommate ordered them yesterday from 885, but that was the last that specific vendor had at that price.

also fwiw i love my STs as well. i have even autocrossed on them and they are not great for autocross but an improvement over stock. even slammed my car rides very smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #42
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

I really have to make a decision...I keep going back and forth on choices. Now I am really liking these... H&R Premium Performance coilovers. http://1xracing.com/hr/hr_coilovers_.../i-239657.aspx
      06-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #43
pnosker
ti fan
Rep
Drives: 14 12C | 17 X5 50i | 19 M2C

Garage List
I have KW V2's. They're decent but the best part is that you can upgrade to linear springs pretty easily from HPA. I'd consider KW or ST (KW V1 is the same as ST except in stainless steel-- since you're from MN you probably should get stainless KWs) since you can get very good springs as an upgrade down the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #44
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

If u plan to autoX or track ur car stay away from ST
Appreciate 0