11-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #23
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
my dealer looks at brakes like those and measures the run out... and sends me on my way as they are not below minimum.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
my dealer looks at brakes like those and measures the run out... and sends me on my way as they are not below minimum.
This is good to know to get a frame of reference.

I was hoping for a first-time "courtesy" replacement under maintenance/warranty -- but in the end the dealer is not running a charity and the rotors are technically above min thickness.

I was told a zillion times that the rotors have "maybe 1 more track day" left in them based on growing heat-cracking ... but that was about 5 track days ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao
Quote:
This is good to know to get a frame of reference.

I was hoping for a first-time "courtesy" replacement under maintenance/warranty -- but in the end the dealer is not running a charity and the rotors are technically above min thickness.

I was told a zillion times that the rotors have "maybe 1 more track day" left in them based on growing heat-cracking ... but that was about 5 track days ago.
LOL and mine are about 20 track days in...

My warranty is up and I never was able to get them to change rotors but I did get a set of pads or maybe two out of them.

On my E30 M3 I nearly always ran my rotors til they crack anyway. I take a replacement pair to change at the track so it doesn't kill my weekend.

Oh for those of you trying, if your rotors are below spec and your pads aren't... They won't change both until both are worn so run those pads down too.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #26
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
LOL and mine are about 20 track days in...

My warranty is up and I never was able to get them to change rotors but I did get a set of pads or maybe two out of them.

On my E30 M3 I nearly always ran my rotors til they crack anyway. I take a replacement pair to change at the track so it doesn't kill my weekend.

Oh for those of you trying, if your rotors are below spec and your pads aren't... They won't change both until both are worn so run those pads down too.
This is pretty much what the issue I ran into. My pads are thick because the rotor wear is primarily from the PFC08s used on track. So I'm left with a thrashed rotor that is still above replacement with OEM pads that look new. The dealer takes one look, rolls eyes, and says: "Move along, move along ..."
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
This is pretty much what the issue I ran into. My pads are thick because the rotor wear is primarily from the PFC08s used on track. So I'm left with a thrashed rotor that is still above replacement with OEM pads that look new. The dealer takes one look, rolls eyes, and says: "Move along, move along ..."
IIRC my first set of pads were replaced by the dealer at 4K .... I blamed all those steep grades and mountain passes " during Euro Delivery "

When my car prompted me to return at 8K miles.. my dealer said... hey... move along now! and I did the same... switched to PFC01s and then 08s for the summer/ track and the stock pads in for the " winter"
Appreciate 0