BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

ST Kit - Are there any N54 owners who would go for this option?

I have been waiting for the PTF ST to be released, and like a lot of other releases in the past there has been a lot of hype yet when released it was essentially overhyped and didn't meet the expectations.

Having just witnessed a few pics of the PTF ST kit, I'm blown away it certainly looks the part and they're also offering a decent fueling system for it!

Whilst I believe RHD fitment wouldn't apply to this kit, just curious are there any N54 owners out there who would pony up for a similiar kit?

Final pricing isn't set in stone yet but the info we shared at the show is it'll be around $7700 USD for the 600 HP kit, $8k USD for the 750 HP and around $8500 USD for the 900HP. Fuel system and tuning sold separately for those that require it and would like to go with our recommended fuel and tuning configuration.

I'm guessing it would be in the vicinity of $15-20k AUD installed? At this power level the AT boys would need a built box, and the MT guys a extremely sturdy clutch which would certainly add to the cost....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen@PTF View Post
OK guys, here are some pictures of the hardware we had on display yesterday.

MOTIV Direct drop in LPFP system upgrade. This system will be 100% plug and play. Simply remove your old bucket, drop in the new one(using factory connectors)and run an 8AN line using the routing of the factory hose and you are done. This design will change a little before going into full production.

MOTIV PI fuel system. Makes use of Bosch fuel injectors being driven by the customers choice of options(AEM, proEFI etc.) In this configuration the fuel system can support upwards of 1000hp.

PTF twin disc clutch setup. We are proud to present a twin disc setup we have been working with SPEC to produce and manufacture. Offering a torque rating of +900ftlbs but better drivability than some of the other higher output rated single clutch designs currently available.

MOTIV single turbo Kit. This series of pictures shows the progression of the assembly of the manifold and final assembled product. You may be wondering why we went with a bottom mount short runner style manifold and the answer is this: it works the best. We went through designing and testing 7 manifold designs(some just small variations but others complete redesigns) over the course of over a year before finally selecting this design. The great thing about having a fully prepped and dedicated road course/time attack car is that we are able to simulate extended use and wear in a short amount of time. Using a top mount manifold design just simply never worked. Rather than the heat spooling the turbo and then evacuating it would simply radiate in the engine bay creating limp mode inducing oil temps in 2-3 laps and eventually causing valve cover gasket cracking/leaking and other soft part failure. Add to that the 500-600rpm delay in spool compared to using the same turbos in a bottom mount configuration it made the design choice easy.

It is a short runner style manifold but far from just run of the mill stuff. Using relatively large ID runners we are able to maintain flow at higher engine speeds but still have unmatched spool. Using 100% CNC billet material and the best fabrication skills available to finalize and assemble to components means a manifold design that will never crack, leak, warp or otherwise fail.

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 08-06-2014 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

Sex
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I'm not interested in the kit myself but it's good to know these options are becoming available. Verrry nice manifold!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Interesting to see another point of view. And it is very compact and clean
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
Interesting to see another point of view. And it is very compact and clean
Since you know our engines bloody well, do you think this would fit RHD n54 or n55?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
Since you know our engines bloody well, do you think this would fit RHD n54 or n55?
Would be close, but as a direct fit without mods i don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I reckon if enough interest was raised and there were say 10+ guys keen to buy one PTF would investigate it!

Whilst 10+ people sound like a rather large number, there is a demand for this system in the UK also and it would open up the market for them and they've already mentioned they're investigating XI fitment and RHD fitment.

Personally I wont be a paying customer in the immediate future, I would rather wait 12 months or so until there is some further development done
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
steering rack

The closest would probably be the vargas twin kit, as the turbos are slightly more tucked in, being smaller.. then again, rear turbo further back than the singles, closer to the bulk of the steering rack.

still unlikely, would have to either actually attempt it, or very accurately measure it out.

the easiest option for RHD.. would be someone with the skills to do so just needs to design a top mount manifold + downpipe combo that fits, or someone pony up and test one of the already available ones and find out which bit exactly doesn't fit.

it shouldn't cost more/much more than any of the ones currently available, given the only difference really is the steering rack is in the way (guess it'd make doing it all while the engine is in a bit more of a headache)

someone has mentioned something about some RHD south african N54 getting around with a single?

ED: i had no idea they were making an LPFP kit as well, wonder how it'll stack up to steveaz's 'stage 3' kit

nor did i realize they had been working with spec on a different twin plate!

Last edited by flinchy; 08-06-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Wow I love all this kit. WTB all

Interesting I wonder how their LPFP is different to SeveAZs' one.
      08-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
steering rack

The closest would probably be the vargas twin kit, as the turbos are slightly more tucked in, being smaller.. then again, rear turbo further back than the singles, closer to the bulk of the steering rack.

still unlikely, would have to either actually attempt it, or very accurately measure it out.

the easiest option for RHD.. would be someone with the skills to do so just needs to design a top mount manifold + downpipe combo that fits, or someone pony up and test one of the already available ones and find out which bit exactly doesn't fit.

it shouldn't cost more/much more than any of the ones currently available, given the only difference really is the steering rack is in the way (guess it'd make doing it all while the engine is in a bit more of a headache)

someone has mentioned something about some RHD south african N54 getting around with a single?

ED: i had no idea they were making an LPFP kit as well, wonder how it'll stack up to steveaz's 'stage 3' kit

nor did i realize they had been working with spec on a different twin plate!
Ive been trying to work with allen on it. My engine is F*KED at the moment, so hopefully while its stripped I can take some decent photos of the turbofold on the n55 and see ifs its possible. I think theres a bit more space on n55 than n54 so Im still hopeful
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ive been trying to work with allen on it. My engine is F*KED at the moment, so hopefully while its stripped I can take some decent photos of the turbofold on the n55 and see ifs its possible. I think theres a bit more space on n55 than n54 so Im still hopeful
wonder if there's anyone in australia with the N55 vargas turbos, let alone something else?

what happened to your engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
wonder if there's anyone in australia with the N55 vargas turbos, let alone something else?

Me and Curare both have Vargas Stage 2 turbos.
Mine isn't finished tuning and looks like he has issues
Last year Jake at PTF told me to wait for their kit rather than buy the Vargas but they had no idea if it would fit RHD, doesn't look like it would to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

After I enjoy the RBs for a while the next stage will be a big single top mount perhaps using something modified from fftec or Advan if Peter has some free time

135i - RHD Bottom Mount Single Turbo - GTX3584RS
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i2 View Post
After I enjoy the RBs for a while the next stage will be a big single top mount perhaps using something modified from fftec or Advan if Peter has some free time
the ventura one so far is the top mount one to keep an eye on imo

terry has said he's going to fit the same turbo on his FFTEC manifold to see if it's the turbo spooling better or the manifold, but so far it's the best spooling top mount i know of.

ED: other forum has the result

looks like the ventura one could have better spool so far, until a side by side can happen.

Last edited by flinchy; 08-07-2014 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:30 AM   #15
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I wont be installing my vargas stage 2 until my engine is fixed and until I decide whether the PTF will fit or not.
Long story short, Somehow water got into my engine and rusted the shit out of my cams. Went in for 1 day for the vanos bolt recall, came back looking at about 10k in repairs and 3 weeks off road
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #16
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I wont be installing my vargas stage 2 until my engine is fixed and until I decide whether the PTF will fit or not.
Long story short, Somehow water got into my engine and rusted the shit out of my cams. Went in for 1 day for the vanos bolt recall, came back looking at about 10k in repairs and 3 weeks off road
ouuuch

at that point would it have been a weigh up between repair and replace?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #17
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Damn that sucks. You can't seem to catch a break with this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #18
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Damn that sucks. You can't seem to catch a break with this car.
Tell me about it. Moving to vic next year so advan can work on it
Quote:
ouuuch

at that point would it have been a weigh up between repair and replace?
It was a weigh up between repair and s65 swap
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
It was a weigh up between repair and s65 swap
http://www.manheim.com.au/damaged-ve...mw-e92-m3-coup
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Ooh man thats tempting. My car is 6MT though. I presume the tranny is an issue? Will have to ask someone much smarter than me. Have no idea about these things. Pete?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Ooh man thats tempting. My car is 6MT though. I presume the tranny is an issue? Will have to ask someone much smarter than me. Have no idea about these things. Pete?
You'd need to change over the tranny, ECU, wiring, everything.
      08-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
someone overseas has done DCT swap in an N54, just LOTS of new modules and wires - fully documented on the other forum though

not sure whether the one on here was a manual or DCT swap S65.
Appreciate 0