BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #23
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

I just thought I would share one bit of information for those who either don't have an Ipod or who have a large amount of music files in WMA (Windows Media Format). A friend at work with a new 335 tried this for me while I am waiting on my 135. He used a USB thumb drive with both MP3's and WMA's and it played them both just fine and displayed the title, artist, info. I have a Zune and want to put my WMA's on either a large thumb drive or portable hard drive to use in my 135.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #24
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

By the way, thanks for the explanation of the option difference above. My salesman had no clue as the difference in the two but suggested I get the Ipod/USB option which I did. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #25
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I added the IPOD option actually after I had ordered the car because I was unaware how much I would actually use it...wow, I use it ALL THE TIME. So glad I got it from the factory!
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #26
dma550
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Thanks Dan for posting this... my dealer offered to install this themselves gratis for accepting their inflated deal on a car they had. They said it was no different "it hooks up your ipah" they said. Now I know to either accept a loaded car another dealer has at $46K or order my own at around $43K... Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The iPod/USB adapter is installed by the factory and is more advanced. It allows you to plug in either an iPod or a standard USB mass storage device (i.e. USB key, USB hard drive, etc..) and then allows you to select songs by artist, title, playlist, etc... The UI for song selection is better with a nav system, but it still works without the nav system.

The iPod interface adapter is installed by the dealer and basically tricks the radio into thinking you iPod is a 6 disc CD changer. You setup 6 specially named playlists on your iPod and then select them using the CD selection buttons. It still works pretty well, but it's not as nice as the factory installed option.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

AUX port is for input only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin(OKC) View Post
I guess I need to play with mine more because my ipod will do random play in my X3 just hooked up with an aux cable, but it won't random play in the 135i. Is there a setting in the car to make it random play or is it totally the ipod.
An AUX is only one way, the head unit accepts this signal as input and plays whatever is being delivered to it. It is not a two way bus. It only has two input signals, one for left channel and one for right.

If you are using the AUX cable, then the head unit can only accept the output from the MP3 player (Ipod, or whatever). It is not possible for the head unit to control anything on the Ipod/MP3 player) through the AUX. If you want random play, you'd have to select that on the Ipod/MP3 player.

I also run my Sirius receiver through the AUX port. The head unit can't control any of the sirius settings, that has to be done by the external receiver.
Appreciate 0