BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansenc View Post
Same with me, is this a good reason to get a free software update?

I have noticed this before but trying to explain it to my dealer is going to be a pain.

Can I just give them the TSB number and say fix it?
I haven't really noticed the issue you describe, so I can't say. Generally, I find that BMW TSBs are VERY explicit in what they address, and there is no mention of that issue here. On the other hand, there is no cost to you to get this firmware upgrade, so why not try it? (assuming your dealer has the correct programmer up and running).

And yes, you basically make an appointment, give them the TSB, and they will download the new firmware.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #24
eric9603
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
I haven't really noticed the issue you describe, so I can't say. Generally, I find that BMW TSBs are VERY explicit in what they address, and there is no mention of that issue here. On the other hand, there is no cost to you to get this firmware upgrade, so why not try it? (assuming your dealer has the correct programmer up and running).

And yes, you basically make an appointment, give them the TSB, and they will download the new firmware.

The issue right now seems to be that almost no dealerships have the new system up and running to do the programming. Only a matter of time I guess. At least the TSB explains the exact problem and there is a fix!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
imdanomite
likes boobies ( o )( o )
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

guys, dealerships will not update your car if you demand/request it. just because you THINK a software update will fix the problem, doesn't mean they'll program it for free.

BMW clearly states that there must be an absolute reason for a vehicle to be programmed. this is what i have been told here at work, it is strictly enforced.

reasons for vehicle update programming
1. control module replacement
2. SIB or service action/recall
3. programming validation call (GWCode)
4. PuMA case recommendation
5. FSE (field service engineer) advisement
6. update software for accessory retrofit

#6 is a bit of a tricky situation. usually, if you purchase an accessory (ipod, satellite radio, alarm, etc) that requires programming, you pay for the initial install and part. BMW would cover the programming under warranty. BUT, that isn't always the case. can't explain, it's really up to the dealership now.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdanomite View Post
guys, dealerships will not update your car if you demand/request it. just because you THINK a software update will fix the problem, doesn't mean they'll program it for free.

BMW clearly states that there must be an absolute reason for a vehicle to be programmed. this is what i have been told here at work, it is strictly enforced.

reasons for vehicle update programming
1. control module replacement
2. SIB or service action/recall
3. programming validation call (GWCode)
4. PuMA case recommendation
5. FSE (field service engineer) advisement
6. update software for accessory retrofit

#6 is a bit of a tricky situation. usually, if you purchase an accessory (ipod, satellite radio, alarm, etc) that requires programming, you pay for the initial install and part. BMW would cover the programming under warranty. BUT, that isn't always the case. can't explain, it's really up to the dealership now.
If there is a TSB that specifies an issue and a resolution, any BMW dealer will perform the service no questions asked. If the poster's car is covered by the TSB, he will need this new firmware either way. If it helps his OTHER issue, all the better. If his car is NOT included in the cars that the TSB covers, then you are absolutely correct, his dealer should not and will not perform the TSB.
Appreciate 0