BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Well I was lookin' around on some sites today and found a few different mids that would work in the OEM door location. The Scan-Speak 12M/4631 G 4" mid is only 48.4mm deep. Focal has a couple of 3" mids that will fit as well. Hybrid Audio L3 should fit as well but I can't access the site from work to verify. The Hertz HL70 and EM100 will fit. Renaissance (used to be Morel USA) has some 3" and 4" drivers that will work as well as Morel.

For the underseat woofer, if the frame will fit in the goofy OEM shape, a Hertz Space 8 will fit. It's only 42mm deep. That's the only 8 I can think of that's that shallow but i'll keep my eye out.

Most .75" and 1" tweeters soudl be pretty easy to drop into the OEM locations.
Thanks.

I've got 1" silk dome Audiobahns that I really like, so I'll be using those tweets.

I'm even considering using the 6.75" Audiobahn mids under the seats, by making spacers and filling the underseat box with poly.
I've checked out some 4" drivers. I've seen the Morel's.
I'll check out the others you listed too.

I decided that I will first put in a 3 way xover and amp, then listen to the OEM drivers just to see how they sound with a good amp.
I'm going to run the 4ch Rockford I have to drive the front comps, 110rms each, and the OEM subs with 110rms each. I'm going to leave the rear speakers running off the OEM amp only as fill if needed. But, I'll probably not use those at all.

I may also get a smaller class D mono or bridged stereo amp to drive the 12" Infinity I already have. If I run that, then I'll set the xover to drive sub freq to trunk mount, the under seats are bass/mid-bass, and door comps as mid&high.

I found an active Clarion xover that I like, and a Cliff Designs too.
So, first thing will be to just install my RF amp and see what there is to hear, then I'll move from there.

Thanks again on the driver suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #24
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

I've got 4" Focal KRS100 components which fit. They are 39mm deep. I'm yet to get around to installing them though!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
I've got 4" Focal KRS100 components which fit. They are 39mm deep. I'm yet to get around to installing them though!
They look quite nice and well made.
How is the mid range? Do they resolve voices very well?
Is the xover between the 4" and the tweet adjustable? Do you know the xover frequency used?
Did you mount the Focal xover in the doors?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #26
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

I may also get a smaller class D mono or bridged stereo amp to drive the 12" Infinity I already have. If I run that, then I'll set the xover to drive sub freq to trunk mount, the under seats are bass/mid-bass, and door comps as mid&high.
That's what I'm planning, but actively and with time alignment. If it fits, a Focal 5W under the seat would work well as a midbass I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #27
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

Just checked with an oscilloscope.
The output of the headunit is ~10V. There are three wires, one common ground for all channels (FL,FR,RL,RR) and the obvious +/- for each channel.
This means that there are 8+1 wires from the headunit low-level (non amplified) outputs.
These are indeed balanced outputs.

This is with respect to the base hifi system, NOT the premium system.

Just bought a 3sixty.2 dsp, but I don't want to butcher the stock wiring, and i want to keep the OEM amp for a little longer. Not sure how I'll proceed to place the DSP between the headunit and the amp...
Appreciate 0