BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #23
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The first place to start any audio upgrade is with speakers. The mid level system, which was the base in 2008 and 2009, has 8 inch sub woofers under both front seats and tweeters for the 4 sides that the 2010 base system does not have. The 2010 has 6.5 inch subs, I believe, and no tweeters. You will see posts in the audio forum about what will fit. Many seem to like an earthquake 8 inch sub, for instance. You can switch to having separate tweeters for at least the front using BMW parts too but the speakers are pricey. I would look at replacing the subs and at least the front speakers. The BMW tweeters do not have much upper frequency response so you might want to go after market for at least them and potentially all the speakers.

If you like boomy bass you might want a separate sub in the trunk. There is a guy posting in the audio section that will sell you a custom enclosure that will handle at least a 10 inch sub in your trunk. With a big enough amp, that should give you the "move the car" kind of bass some people seem to like. I measured the frequency response of my system using a CD my son made for me of tones from a signal generator at constant volume. The bass in my 128i convertible is actually stronger than the upper ranges by a few db. So with the 8 inch subs it is not really lacking linear bass response. But a lot of people have gotten used to grossly over emphasized bass and some "music" may almost require it. You can tell my preferences, I am sure, and I am not trying to put anybody down, just commenting that what speakers you want depends on what you want to hear. For clean linear reproduction, I recommend replacing the subs and front speakers with good quality aftermarket component speakers. If that is not good enough, you could look at adding power. Replacing the head unit is a bit of an issue since BMW uses the radio display to show some car functions.

Jim
      01-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #24
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by omknj View Post
I am appologizing in advance if this is the wrong place for this query, however...

I just took delivery of my 128i (M Sport) coupe.

On the advice of my brother, whom I THOUGHT to be an audiophile, I did NOT order the upgraded sound system - and just went with the basic BMW stereo.

I also own a 2007 Mini Cooper S Cabrio (in Hot Orange) which I had ordered with the Harmon Kardon system - a really fantastic sound system I might add.

Now, coming from that sound system into the 128i leaves me very dissapointed.

Can any of you (or ALL of you) let me know what the options are for upgradig at this point?

Should I go aftermarket?

If so, where?

Cost-to-value on aftermarket systems vs. BMW installed systems?

Will or will not void Warranty?

Any help will be appreciated...and BTW - the ONE ROCKS!!!!! (Big praise coming from a MINI Cooper Racing Driver!)

-OMKNJ
Aftermarket will void the sound system warranty, that's a given.

What's your budget for an aftermarket upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #25
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

i think if you can mount the after market amp in the OEM location
and use factory plugs for power to the battery etc
replace the subs with SWS-8
they would really have to be looking hard to realize you changed something
worst case, if you don't damage the OEM amp plug
just put the OEM amp back before you take it to the dealer
and that's only if you're taking it to have repairs done on stereo
anything else and they won't be looking for it
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #26
omknj
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

Around 500 - 1K

Big spread I know, but I would like to do it for LESS than I could have ordered the Factory upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #27
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by omknj View Post
Around 500 - 1K

Big spread I know, but I would like to do it for LESS than I could have ordered the Factory upgrade.
I think that the only upgrade for that budget is the Alpine OEM kit P/N 65 41 0 445 684, but I don't think that it is available in the USA yet. Price should be around $500 and it includes a new pair of Logic7 component speakers for the front doors and an Alpine amplifier with OEM harness.

The 4-channel Alpine amplifier (40W x 4 supposedly) will power the new front components and the underseat woofers in a bi-amp configuration (2 channels for the front components, 2 channels for the woofers, all in stereo). The rear OEM speakers remain and still powered by the OEM HU directly (15W per channel)

Check on eBay for seller RoverActive, he could get it from Europe.

The kit requires to order separately the front doors tweeter pods for your 1 Series (P/N 51 33 7 199 597 and 51 33 7 199 598). Those are available in the USA to order at $36.56 each.

Because these are OEM parts then you could take them to your dealer for installation and keep your warranty, if you are concerned about losing it.

That should put you in around the same price as the Premium upgrade and with quite an improvement in sound quality.

The only non-OEM addition to this OEM Alpine upgrade that I would personally do would be a pair of SWS-8 in 4 ohms for an extra $250 as the replacement of the underseat OEM 6.5" woofers. The SWS-8 drop right into those OEM enclosures with minimum work.

That would be frosting.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Alpine install instructions.pdf (428.1 KB, 219 views)
Appreciate 0