BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

OT: UFC 110 Sydney anyone going?

Anyone going to UFC 110 in Acer Arena, Sydney?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

WTF is UTC 110?
      12-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
WTF is UTC 110?
UFC stands for the Ultimate Fighting Championship which is a promotion of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). It's the fastest growing sport in the world. Sydney is completely sold out already. The next main event is UFC 107 which is on tomorrow. All Main Events are available on Pay-Per-View.

http://au.ufc.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

did you see that 45 year old guy get his head beaten to a pulp on friday night on One HD, its pretty nasty, watching it on tv is enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
did you see that 45 year old guy get his head beaten to a pulp on friday night on One HD, its pretty nasty, watching it on tv is enough for me.
We went to watch it live about 18 months ago.. We had a VIP table at the front with a 3 course dinner...

My tip... dont sit near the front if you cant handle blood...

Unfortunately the referee wasnt experienced enough to step in and stop the fights quick enough.. Out of eight fights, two guys got taken to hospital unconsicous... VERY VERY BRUTAL BLOOD SPORT..

But....I enjoy watching it..never miss it on Thursday night channel 1HD..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
My tip... dont sit near the front if you cant handle blood....
there was a blood stain on the floor of the octogon at mgm grand last week that was enormous, when they showed an overhead shot it was at least half a meter square.

i stumbled upon that documentary 'the smashing machine' and have been interested by the unbelievable brutality of the sport since.

can they head butt in UFC?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
We went to watch it live about 18 months ago.. We had a VIP table at the front with a 3 course dinner...

My tip... dont sit near the front if you cant handle blood...

Unfortunately the referee wasnt experienced enough to step in and stop the fights quick enough.. Out of eight fights, two guys got taken to hospital unconsicous... VERY VERY BRUTAL BLOOD SPORT..

But....I enjoy watching it..never miss it on Thursday night channel 1HD..
Nice, we're really pumped. There's a few of us flying down to Sydney we're pretty excited. Did you watch the actual UFC or a form of MMA? If so, who was fighting? There are various promotions of MMA being shown at many local pubs and RSL's for very cheap. Our tickets cost $450 each for Diamond class which is ringside. Depending on the fight card, it's normal to pay 3k for a ringside in the US which is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
there was a blood stain on the floor of the octogon at mgm grand last week that was enormous, when they showed an overhead shot it was at least half a meter square.

i stumbled upon that documentary 'the smashing machine' and have been interested by the unbelievable brutality of the sport since.

can they head butt in UFC?
I haven't been able to see that episode but I recorded it on my IQ. It really is a brutal sport but they've made a lot more rule over the years to tone it down. You are definitely not allowed to head butt though.

I looked up the rules on the UFC website. These are all fouls:
1. Butting with the head.
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
3. Biting.
4. Hair pulling.
5. Fish hooking.
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
8. Small joint manipulation.
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21. Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the towel during competition

It sounds a lot worse than what it is but most of the fighters are elite athletes with great mutual respect for each other. It's very entertaining and the standard of competition is very high.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

[QUOTE=BMW86;6360501]Nice, we're really pumped. There's a few of us flying down to Sydney we're pretty excited. Did you watch the actual UFC or a form of MMA? If so, who was fighting? There are various promotions of MMA being shown at many local pubs and RSL's for very cheap. Our tickets cost $450 each for Diamond class which is ringside. Depending on the fight card, it's normal to pay 3k for a ringside in the US which is crazy.[QUOTE]

It was a Mixed Martial Arts fight at a RSL club.. $250 ringside table included RSL food..

You will love it thou.. very entertaining if you are into martial arts..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=Zuzu;6360604][QUOTE=BMW86;6360501]Nice, we're really pumped. There's a few of us flying down to Sydney we're pretty excited. Did you watch the actual UFC or a form of MMA? If so, who was fighting? There are various promotions of MMA being shown at many local pubs and RSL's for very cheap. Our tickets cost $450 each for Diamond class which is ringside. Depending on the fight card, it's normal to pay 3k for a ringside in the US which is crazy.
Quote:

It was a Mixed Martial Arts fight at a RSL club.. $250 ringside table included RSL food..

You will love it thou.. very entertaining if you are into martial arts..
Ok cool I thought so. Lol at RSL food. This is the first time UFC is coming to Australia as MMA is really getting big here. I love mixed martial arts and it's great for fitness. The fight-card for UFC 110 has actually named some really well known fighters, I'm surprised it's going to be such a big event.

UFC fight club members were able to purchase tickets 2 days prior to the official Ticketek sale, so we had to sign up to be a member for US$75 just to be able to buy tickets. Lucky we did because they sold 10,000 tickets including all of the $450 and $350 tickets before Ticketek were even able to offer them for sale.

Last edited by BMW86; 12-14-2009 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #10
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Pass.
      02-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Anyone else end up going to 110? Best fight-card I've seen in a while. Everyone was getting behind the Aussie George Sotiropoulos. Best atmostphere!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

i didn't go, will it be shown on tv at any time?

much blood?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I think it was shown live on OneHD on Sunday. The main fight didn't make it past round 1 from what I heard somewhere?
Appreciate 0