BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #23
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Guys you obviously believe what you are writing, I'm not doubting that, but please do a double blind test and I assure you your opinion will immediately change.

People make crazy claims when it comes to high end audio, it is almost a religion. Here is the other thread that started down that path....

Guys you obviously believe what you are writing, I'm not doubting that, but please do a double blind test and I assure you your opinion will immediately change.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #24
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
What are you talking abuot?

Wolfrom? its actually Wolfson. The DAC really means SFA. Its the analogue output stage and power supply that make the difference, the fact that the Linn Klimax DS and the Ipod use a Wolfson DAC means ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH.
Nope, but I'll direct you to my other posts I've made over the months on the topic (where I spelled Wolfson correctly). And google red wine audio mod. I don't think the Linn uses the same Wolfson DAC as any of the iPods (they make lots).

And I said Wolfram, not Wolfrom. I use their Mathematica product and sometimes confuse the two when I'm typing.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I'd agree with you that high-end audio is blown out of proportion. Many factors go into how MP3s sound as well, including the quality of the encode. Not all 320kbps encodes are created equally.

And as for the whole debate.. I'd be using FLAC if I had my way!

So one thing I need to understand here... an ipod connected to the USB interface transmits audio via the separate AUX input? Hmm.. Wonder if I can avoid that by using a different non-Apple device. Probably will fall back to the USB stick though.
      05-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #26
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Fair enough. The point is, the DAC really makes little difference. Most, if not all DACS are very capable in the audio world. Where they fall down, is the analogue stage, power supply, shielding, connectors..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #27
cerij101
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian51574 View Post
* You can shuffle the entire flash drive by accessing the songs by artist - all artist and then selecting random from the head unit.
Enjoy!
If you don't mind me asking, how does this work? I have selected an artist and now it will only shuffle within that artist (Artist is ticked on the display). No matter what I do I cannot select "All" artists. I can get back to the structure and can see All at the top of the list, but clicking on it only expands the + to show me all the Artist names.

The user guide is less than helpful on the subject.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0