BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
thorsley12
Rep
Drives: Looking into 135i

Question Using iPod and USB adapter (6FL) with Smartphone Integration (6NF) AND Glovebox AUX?

I've got an iPhone and iPod and I'm considering the iPod and USB adapter (6FL) and Smartphone Integration (6NF) options for my shinny new car (along with iDrive). The dealer has informed me I can get a snap-in adapter for the iPhone for about $120, so I'll most likely go this route.

I love the idea of snapping my iPhone into the between-the-seats console, but I also have the iPod I'd like to use at the same time connected through the auxiliary port in the glove box.

With my configuration, what kind of connections can I expect to see in the glove box? And will I be able to have my iPhone plugged into the snap-in adapter, the iPod connected in the glove box, and have them both functioning simultaneously (pick songs from either, make a phone call, etc.) through iDrive?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsley12 View Post
I've got an iPhone and iPod and I'm considering the iPod and USB adapter (6FL) and Smartphone Integration (6NF) options for my shinny new car (along with iDrive). The dealer has informed me I can get a snap-in adapter for the iPhone for about $120, so I'll most likely go this route.

I love the idea of snapping my iPhone into the between-the-seats console, but I also have the iPod I'd like to use at the same time connected through the auxiliary port in the glove box.

With my configuration, what kind of connections can I expect to see in the glove box? And will I be able to have my iPhone plugged into the snap-in adapter, the iPod connected in the glove box, and have them both functioning simultaneously (pick songs from either, make a phone call, etc.) through iDrive?

Thanks in advance!
The USB port in the glove box comes with iDrive, and is for downloading songs onto the hard drive of iDrive. Then you play them from the hard drive. It's not for hooking up an iPod. If you get the iPod integration, you can use the USB in the center console to play songs from either the iPod or the iPhone. But there is only one input. It's either the phone or the pod, not both. To switch, you just unplug one and plug in the other.

Adding in Smartphone integration doesn't really do anything extra with an iPhone. I also have an iPhone, and and iPod, and I leave the iPod hooked up, and let the phone sync through bluetooth.

Note the there is two different center console iPhone adapters. One for Smartphone cars, and one for those without. But you also need the snap in base, which is like another $150.

I ordered my 09 with USB, Bluetooth, and iDrive, but I skipped the Smartphone integration since it doesn't add anything extra with an iPhone. I haven't regretted it yet. If you could run BOTH sources, and choose between them, I probably would have gotten Smartphone, but you can't.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
The USB port in the glove box comes with iDrive, and is for downloading songs onto the hard drive of iDrive. Then you play them from the hard drive. It's not for hooking up an iPod. If you get the iPod integration, you can use the USB in the center console to play songs from either the iPod or the iPhone. But there is only one input. It's either the phone or the pod, not both. To switch, you just unplug one and plug in the other.

Adding in Smartphone integration doesn't really do anything extra with an iPhone. I also have an iPhone, and and iPod, and I leave the iPod hooked up, and let the phone sync through bluetooth.

Note the there is two different center console iPhone adapters. One for Smartphone cars, and one for those without. But you also need the snap in base, which is like another $150.

I ordered my 09 with USB, Bluetooth, and iDrive, but I skipped the Smartphone integration since it doesn't add anything extra with an iPhone. I haven't regretted it yet. If you could run BOTH sources, and choose between them, I probably would have gotten Smartphone, but you can't.
Because the OP is planning to order the Smartphone option (6NF) he will be able to plug both devices -iPhone in the 6NF cradle/snap in adapter and the iPod in the USB port (6FL)- at the same time.

The 6NF will "sense" the use of the 6FL (USB priority) and will allow the iPod music to pass thru; no iPhone music can be accessed once the iPod is plugged in. The iPhone Bluetooth pairing is not affected.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
There will be no AUX in the glovebox, see above.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
thorsley12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Because the OP is planning to order the Smartphone option (6NF) he will be able to plug both devices -iPhone in the 6NF cradle/snap in adapter and the iPod in the USB port (6FL)- at the same time.

The 6NF will "sense" the use of the 6FL (USB priority) and will allow the iPod music to pass thru; no iPhone music can be accessed once the iPod is plugged in. The iPhone Bluetooth pairing is not affected.
I may be a bit confused here. The 6FL option is in the center console, alongside the 6NF, right? So basically, if I plan on leaving my iPod in the center console as a permanent music source, the Smartphone option really only gives me a convenient way to change my iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Quote:
I may be a bit confused here. The 6FL option is in the center console, alongside the 6NF, right? So basically, if I plan on leaving my iPod in the center console as a permanent music source, the Smartphone option really only gives me a convenient way to change my iPhone?
That is correct. If you could choose between them as different sources, it would be more useful, but you can't. That's why I didn't bother getting the Smartphone integration. And if you REALLY want the convenient way to charge, you can get the non-smartphone cradle, and you are all set.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
thorsley12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
That is correct. If you could choose between them as different sources, it would be more useful, but you can't. That's why I didn't bother getting the Smartphone integration. And if you REALLY want the convenient way to charge, you can get the non-smartphone cradle, and you are all set.
Aww booo, I was hoping that wasn't the case....<sigh>

What is the non-smartphone cradle?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Quote:
Aww booo, I was hoping that wasn't the case....<sigh>

What is the non-smartphone cradle?
There are two sets of cradles for the center console. One for cars with Smartphone 6NF that will pass music to the USB interface, and another set just to allow the phone to charge and use the roof antenna for the non 6NF cars. No music will be passed through on these. They are listed at:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...16&startrow=21

Look for part number 84210439151, which is for a Blackberry Pearl.

But in either case, you need two parts, the base, and the specific snap in adapter for your phone model, so it can be several hundred dollars to get it all setup. My iPhone stays in my pocket, and my iPod stays in the console.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
thorsley12
Rep

Wow, BMW seems to have overcomplicated things a bit.

The 6NF looks to be a complete waste of money if you want to also use an iPod (which to me is ideal due to the larger storage capacity in the iPod)...and buying the two parts for non-6NF cars also seems like a ridiculous amount of money to pay for recharging and "better" reception.

I think you're right, I'll just go with 6FL, leave the iPod in the center console and the iPhone in my pocket. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Quote:
Wow, BMW seems to have overcomplicated things a bit.

The 6NF looks to be a complete waste of money if you want to also use an iPod (which to me is ideal due to the larger storage capacity in the iPod)...and buying the two parts for non-6NF cars also seems like a ridiculous amount of money to pay for recharging and "better" reception.

I think you're right, I'll just go with 6FL, leave the iPod in the center console and the iPhone in my pocket. Thanks for the help!
Yep!

I think 6NF only makes sense if you DON'T have an iPod, and your only music source is your phone, and you want to plug the phone in the cradle all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Again, you will have two music sources available if you plug both devices, but only one of them will be accessible thru your OEM sound system while plugged in.

Without the Smartphone option only the device plugged into the 6FL will have connection to the OEM sound system.

One thing to consider: the Smartphone option for $150 includes the special USB baseplate already installed and connected, you only buy the iPhone snap in adapter separately ($100-$130). If you do not order the Smartphone option there is no baseplate at all, so if you want to connect the iPhone as you intend then you need to buy the non-6NF base plate ($100-$130) -and install it yourself- plus the snap in adapter.

The iPhone draws a considerable amount of battery power while using Bluetooth, so either baseplate solution will keep the iPhone charging while plugged into its snap in adapter.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
myfirstone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
The iPhone draws a considerable amount of battery power while using Bluetooth, so either baseplate solution will keep the iPhone charging while plugged into its snap in adapter.
Unfortunately, your iPhone may not charge with 6FL (can't speak for 6NF). It works for some people and not for others. No one seems to know whether Apple or BMW is to blame. BMW certainly doesn't seem to be in a rush to fix it. I suspect many people don't even realize their iPhone isn't charging (most people are not that savvy when it comes to consumer electronics).

Edit: I'm talking iPhone 3GS (which I have) and possibly iPhone OS 3.0 with earlier iPhones (which I also have but haven't tried in the car).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstone View Post
Unfortunately, your iPhone may not charge with 6FL (can't speak for 6NF). It works for some people and not for others. No one seems to know whether Apple or BMW is to blame. BMW certainly doesn't seem to be in a rush to fix it. I suspect many people don't even realize their iPhone isn't charging (most people are not that savvy when it comes to consumer electronics).

Edit: I'm talking iPhone 3GS (which I have) and possibly iPhone OS 3.0 with earlier iPhones (which I also have but haven't tried in the car).
You need to check the version of the 6FL adapter cable that you have.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #14
myfirstone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
You need to check the version of the 6FL adapter cable that you have.
I've tried three cables, all of them inscribed with 0440796. None charge my iPhone 3GS in my just-delivered 2009 128i. One cable came from my car, another from a friend's 2008 135i, and another from a friend's 2009 5 series. My iPhone 3GS charges in those other two cars no matter which cable I use. My dealer has tested my car's unit. It works with their iPhone (not sure which model or OS). They chalked it up to a software issue that will require BMW's input.

If there's another way to tell cables apart that seem the same let me know. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Nole1
Rep
Drives: Soon to come

If I have phone integration.....and an iPhone, should I be able to play songs off of the iPhone when it is plugged into the upper doc area??
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole1 View Post
If I have phone integration.....and an iPhone, should I be able to play songs off of the iPhone when it is plugged into the upper doc area??
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
Nole1
Rep
Drives: Soon to come

Is there any reason why I wouldn't be ableto access the iPod within the iPhone while plugged into the phone dock? I just picked up the car yesterday and am having trouble with this.

It also has the iPod hook up and if I plug into that I'm able to access the music on the iPhone
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #18
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole1 View Post
Is there any reason why I wouldn't be ableto access the iPod within the iPhone while plugged into the phone dock? I just picked up the car yesterday and am having trouble with this.

It also has the iPod hook up and if I plug into that I'm able to access the music on the iPhone
To do that you need the Smartphone option (6NF). Do you have 6NF?
      08-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #19
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Yes, I'm 99.9% sure that I have the Smartphone Integration (6NF). But am not sure how to access the music on the phone.

Ordered (6/17) ● Production (6/19) ● Completed (6/26) ● En Route (7/14) ● Prep Center (8/2) ● At BMW Center (8/3) ● PCD (8/14)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #20
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Does anyone else have any tips on this (accessing musing from iPhone)?

I confirmed last night that my car does have the Smartphone option (6NF)....as well as the iPod and USB Adapter (6FL). So far....I have not been able to firgure out how to access the music that is on the iPhone.

Ordered (6/17) ● Production (6/19) ● Completed (6/26) ● En Route (7/14) ● Prep Center (8/2) ● At BMW Center (8/3) ● PCD (8/14)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #21
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW135*Guy View Post
Does anyone else have any tips on this (accessing musing from iPhone)?

I confirmed last night that my car does have the Smartphone option (6NF)....as well as the iPod and USB Adapter (6FL). So far....I have not been able to firgure out how to access the music that is on the iPhone.
Well is should show up in the list of options when you go into "CD" on the iDrive. Does it work when it is plugged directly into the USB/Analog jack with the BMW cable?
      08-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #22
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, I am able to access the music when the iPhone is plugged up directly into the USB/Analog jack.

Could there be something wrong with the install of the phone cradle??

Appreciate 0