BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
jkho
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black MY09 E82 125i Coupe

Hectic Sydney rain + windows down = FAIL

Hey all,

As per the subject, I forgot to hold down the "lock" button and my car was absolutely drenched!! (between 8:30pm and 3am)

Got most the water out of the mats and all...
Hopefully no mildew will grow.... 125 + Mildew = bad

Any suggestions about the seats?
Leather conditioning required? If yea, whats good?
I know Leather + water = bad (cracking?)

HELP !!!

Last edited by jkho; 02-07-2010 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

That sucks mate, really sorry to hear that.

As far as I know (not very far!), Leather + Water is not reallly such a big
deal. You just need to let it dry in the shade and not force dry it by putting it in the sun, heaters etc... The leather will then return to it's normal shape, this is at least the case with my good shoes - I'm guessing all good leather is the same. A good conditioning and leaving out in the sun after it's completely dry should really help.

There are also water absorbing cristals you can buy, might get the water out the carpets a bit better. Might want to put some carpet shampoo to prevent mildew and musty smell. Careful not to get it on the leather! It will dry it out!

I would mostly be worried about the electrics on the door and seats. I would blot the area with an absorbant microfibre clothe to remove as much moisture.

Also, post this on the 1addicts detailers forum, they'll know exactly what to do. Also maybe PM Greg@DetailedImage, who's great and will surely help and maybe even suggest you some products.

Good luck mate, hope it gets sorted!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
As above, the Leather shouldn't be a prob as long as you've conditioned & protected it.

To sort out mildew, there are some household carpet cleaners that are meant exactly for this - it will smell a little bit, but put it on, air the car out properly and it should be fine
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

run the heater on a high temp with the airconditioning on and that should help too. (the AC will dry the air out)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
How soaked are we talking about?

If your carpets were soaked through then there could be major problems. Most of the wiring runs along the floor.

I heard of an X5 having a similar story and the car was written off!

No matter how much you attempt to dry it off, we are talking not just the carpets but all the layers between that and bare metal left sitting there causing more damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

If the sound deadening under the carpet is wet, you would be advised to remove the carpet to dry it. No matter what you do, you will not get the airflow to it to dry it out with teh carpet in place, and if the dryout process takes many weeks you will get mildew that will cause a smell that will take a long time if ever to remove.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
How soaked are we talking about?

If your carpets were soaked through then there could be major problems. Most of the wiring runs along the floor.

I heard of an X5 having a similar story and the car was written off!

No matter how much you attempt to dry it off, we are talking not just the carpets but all the layers between that and bare metal left sitting there causing more damage.
Ditto to ^

If it is really soak, I think you might even able to claim. I know another car written off for the same thing.

The leather is fine with water. Good leather will dry up well - otherwise it can be fix by LeatherMaster products .
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Ditto to ^

If it is really soak, I think you might even able to claim. I know another car written off for the same thing.
Same here..Depending on your insurance policy in regards to life time NCB and excess, I would be putting it through as an insurance claim and have the car professionally repaired,
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
jkho
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

we're talking stupid wet here!
wiring under the floor :S

On Sunday, I spent 4hrs putting towels on top of the carpets/mats and punching the crap out of it... got most the water out. *smarts if i do say so myself!*

Then I ran the hair dryer through it...
Drove the car today to work - everything appears to be fine.... no mildew smell, no electronic faults.

Even the seats feel aiight!
I actually haven't conditioned and protected it - i'll check out the shops and see if I can pick up some Leathermaster products (Y)

Hopefully thats the end of it... *fingers crossed*
I'll keep you posted!

PS> I'm gunna triple check my windows from now on!!
Nearly had a heart attack when I got back to my car... squishy seats and all :|
      02-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Z320i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Bmw 320i e90

Hi all
3 series owner my self, always read ur great posts too
i think there is more activity here actually

anyhow, would test your sound system too as most of our cars have subwoofers below front seats on the floor...hope the water hasnt damaged those?
mind you there are some for sale on ebay out of a 335i sedan if u think they maybe damaged?

all the best
Z
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & x3 30d

you guys jinxed me. had my wife's passat wagon out at the long term car park over the weekend (friday to monday). the slide over window shade to protect my kids in the back seat pulled the door seals in. result was an inch of water in the foot well of the left hand back seat. i sponged it out with a towel at the airport and then left it over night with the doors open and a fan pointing in. seems to have done the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #12
jkho
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

HEHEHEHEH

my car is all good now..
      02-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkho View Post
HEHEHEHEH

my car is all good now..

Don't bother with holding the key fob anymore. Just stick with the old fashioned way - don't leave the car until you're absolutely sure the car's airtight.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Jkho, glad the car is fine, goes to show the 1er can handle just about anything rain or shine! But have it checked out to see if any gremlins have turned up, just in case they manifest later.

ExREX, shame to hear about yours mate, hope nothing got water damaged.

You guys have been ample warning for me, I double check most of the time now!
Appreciate 0