BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I

Question How stupid would a aftermarket head unit look?

I have the basic stereo, and I am planing to upgrade most of the components, however I think the head unit is also a week point. I been looking at some made in china replacements but I haven't found anyone using it to give a fair review.

My last option would be to add a nice single din head( dont need want double) unit with all the upgrades including DSP capability. I drive around 170 miles per day and good sounding music is a must.

So after this long post; how bad will a after market single din head unit look??

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Not good at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrikkett View Post
Not good at all.
LOl! thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrikkett View Post
Not good at all.
Agreed.

*and*

The head unit is not really the weak link. Add an amp (with DSP) and upgrade the speakers. Use the head unit like a line level source.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

FYI... don't forget you have to keep the stock radio(plug'd into the car's CAN BUS) IF you want BMW to perform any software (SW) updates in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_h View Post
Agreed.

*and*

The head unit is not really the weak link. Add an amp (with DSP) and upgrade the speakers. Use the head unit like a line level source.
Yes, I will upgrade the rest, but I not really feeling paying BMW $700 for an ipod hook up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
FYI... don't forget you have to keep the stock radio(plug'd into the car's CAN BUS) IF you want BMW to perform any software (SW) updates in the future.
I hear that, my plan was to just install it in the trunk or, install it back before any service.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogm View Post
Yes, I will upgrade the rest, but I not really feeling paying BMW $700 for an ipod hook up.
Yeah that's annoying. There is likely an aftermarket solution that would help that, that doesn't involve replacing the head unit. The jbl ms8 comes to mind, but it's just one solution.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I personally like the way the factory head unit looks, it matches the rest of the interior and its flows well with the whole console. An aftermarket head unit would look out of place imo
      01-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB PELICAN View Post
I personally like the way the factory head unit looks, it matches the rest of the interior and its flows well with the whole console. An aftermarket head unit would look out of place imo
Yeah I like it better, but driving as much I do, I am really looking for more music options...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Not only that... in my 2012 model, a lot of the settings are done via that unit's display.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Yeah I like it better, but driving as much I do, I am really looking for more music options...
So if you're looking for input options as well as integrated options, then probably your best bet is going to be a Dynavin head unit (got this from the other Dynavin thread in this very forum). Looks like a pretty slick solution that'll get you the features of an aftermarket head unit without making your dash look "ghetto". And let's be honest here; a single DIN unit anywhere in the 1'ers dash is going to look just like that.

Now as for the quality, there are a few good sets of products. I agree with others though; from a plain output perspective the stock head unit isn't a weak spot. If you're looking for quality, then it's got it once you upgrade the other components. I've had good luck on friend's E9x's with Bavarian SoundWerks setups, but I warn you they're not cheap. Still, as I mentioned above the only weak point on the stock head unit is probably inputs, but worst case doesn't your car have an AUX in?

All of this is the reason I went ahead and loaded up my car with the iDrive, all the options and HK. I didn't want to be regretting going cheaper on the sound system later and spending a fortune upgrading it all. I have had no regrets, either; I rather like the stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon View Post
So if you're looking for input options as well as integrated options, then probably your best bet is going to be a Dynavin head unit (got this from the other Dynavin thread in this very forum). Looks like a pretty slick solution that'll get you the features of an aftermarket head unit without making your dash look "ghetto". And let's be honest here; a single DIN unit anywhere in the 1'ers dash is going to look just like that.

Now as for the quality, there are a few good sets of products. I agree with others though; from a plain output perspective the stock head unit isn't a weak spot. If you're looking for quality, then it's got it once you upgrade the other components. I've had good luck on friend's E9x's with Bavarian SoundWerks setups, but I warn you they're not cheap. Still, as I mentioned above the only weak point on the stock head unit is probably inputs, but worst case doesn't your car have an AUX in?

All of this is the reason I went ahead and loaded up my car with the iDrive, all the options and HK. I didn't want to be regretting going cheaper on the sound system later and spending a fortune upgrading it all. I have had no regrets, either; I rather like the stock setup.
Thank you, I didnt not purchase the car new, so audio options were not an option, I do however have the 3.5mm input which saves the day most of the time, i have been looking at dynavin, and its more likely the option I will choose. I have not heard DSW speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

I did a single Din head unit while keeping the stock one in place. maybe its not the most integrated look, but I like it, and it is well worth it. I used a line output converter on the factory head unit to the aux in on my Pioneer to keep the HD radio tuner and OEM bluetooth in use. I did have to cut out some plastic inside the dash to make room, but once that is done there is plenty of room back there. I was even able to run the usb input on the Pioneer to the factory location in the center console so I can use the pocket under the armrest BMW gives you for my iPod.

Another option is to go with an Audison BitOne (msrp $1000) or Bit Ten (MSRP $500). Both give you very powerful DSP processing incliding EQ and time alignment, adjustable via PC with the BitOne giving you more presets and inputs/outputs, as well as including the remote mounted controller.

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So does your pioneer powers the speaker? that a very interesting set up!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Actually, that particular receiver has no internal amp, but if it did it could easily be wired to the existing speakers. I have an old Soundstream Reference 5 channel amp in the trunk that powers 8" Morel woofers under the seat, 4" Morel components in the doors, and a JL 10" sub in the trunk. My system has no rear speakers. They're not needed in my opinion, they just throw off the imaging and soundstaging.

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

+1 on the Dynavin. They are some of the best bang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I will prob go with dynavin, I just waiting on someone else to order one!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Dynavin, me like
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
I have the basic stereo, and I am planing to upgrade most of the components, however I think the head unit is also a week point. I been looking at some made in china replacements but I haven't found anyone using it to give a fair review.
Sonically, I don't think you're going to get any better performance with most aftermarket HUs than you will with the stock head unit and a correcting processor.

If there are features you want, cool, but if you're telling yourself it's for SQ purposes, you better be looking at some very high-end and costly head units.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Sonically, I don't think you're going to get any better performance with most aftermarket HUs than you will with the stock head unit and a correcting processor.

If there are features you want, cool, but if you're telling yourself it's for SQ purposes, you better be looking at some very high-end and costly head units.
Yes, I cant wait to get my kit from you !!
I am mostly looking for connectivity, ipod, BT and all that good stuff.
Right now I am running my ipod with the 3.5mm input , it ok, i just like the wire hanging every where.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_135i View Post
Dynavin, me like
Come on Simon, order already so you can give us a review.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

i saw on babybmw, an 9887 installed. looked pretty mint with the right colour selected (orangered of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracr View Post
I did a single Din head unit while keeping the stock one in place. maybe its not the most integrated look, but I like it, and it is well worth it. I used a line output converter on the factory head unit to the aux in on my Pioneer to keep the HD radio tuner and OEM bluetooth in use. I did have to cut out some plastic inside the dash to make room, but once that is done there is plenty of room back there. I was even able to run the usb input on the Pioneer to the factory location in the center console so I can use the pocket under the armrest BMW gives you for my iPod.

Another option is to go with an Audison BitOne (msrp $1000) or Bit Ten (MSRP $500). Both give you very powerful DSP processing incliding EQ and time alignment, adjustable via PC with the BitOne giving you more presets and inputs/outputs, as well as including the remote mounted controller.
was that a custom install?
Appreciate 0