BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Mr Marcus
Objects in the rear view mirror are losing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i N55

Check out the pricing for BMW to retrofit the Alpine Hi-Fi system. Quite a few guys on the forum (inc me) had this done and it's pretty good.

It keeps the stock head unit and adds new mids, tweeters, Alpine D-series amp and two sound gaits. Pretty good for the cash and it is covered by your warranty which is worth a lot.
      02-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #24
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marcus View Post
Check out the pricing for BMW to retrofit the Alpine Hi-Fi system. Quite a few guys on the forum (inc me) had this done and it's pretty good.

It keeps the stock head unit and adds new mids, tweeters, Alpine D-series amp and two sound gaits. Pretty good for the cash and it is covered by your warranty which is worth a lot.
ANY stereo gear comes with warranty, no stereo installation will void a new car warranty unless you really mangle the car :/
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #25
Mr Marcus
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:

ANY stereo gear comes with warranty, no stereo installation will void a new car warranty unless you really mangle the car :/
I disagree with you there. If you take off the doors to access the mid housings and tweet pods, install aftermarket speakers and wiring harness, then connect up an amp and try to run it through the head unit, you'll set off numerous codes and your warranty will be challenged for any electrical issues that arise afterwards. Half the job with the Alpine Hi-Fi retro fit is recoding so all the components function properly.
      02-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #26
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
I disagree with you there. If you take off the doors to access the mid housings and tweet pods, install aftermarket speakers and wiring harness, then connect up an amp and try to run it through the head unit, you'll set off numerous codes and your warranty will be challenged for any electrical issues that arise afterwards. Half the job with the Alpine Hi-Fi retro fit is recoding so all the components function properly.
true, if the stereo suddenly breaks, well it's your fault

doesn't void the WHOLE warranty though

i find it idiotic to not install an aftermarket headunit though.. something decent will improve the sound quality as much as adding better speakers will.. then you also avoid any issues like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #27
Mr Marcus
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:
true, if the stereo suddenly breaks, well it's your fault

doesn't void the WHOLE warranty though

i find it idiotic to not install an aftermarket headunit though.. something decent will improve the sound quality as much as adding better speakers will.. then you also avoid any issues like that.

I did mate. I just put in a decent one that doesn't invalidate my warranty and BMW did the work. My car is not even 8 months old yet, idiocy would be to hack the head unit out, fit some shiny ghetto ice and expect my warranty and resale value not to be affected.