BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
BMhead
BMW 435d xDrive M Sport Coupe
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d xDrive M Sport Coupe

Run flats (RFT) vs proper tyres

I'm thinking of getting rid of my RFT's to improve ride handling for my 135i coupe. Currently I'm in Bridgstone 245/35 18 at the back, 215/40 18 at the front.

A few questions;

does it increase your insurance?

I'd really like to use Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but my usual tyre place say they don't make them for 18" rims, anyone know better?

Does anyone have a good expereience of Continental non RFT?

If I stick with RFTs which ones are the most compliant?

what do you reckon?

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
BMhead
United Kingdom
Rep

I've managed to sort this out now. many thanks to those who helped. I have taken the advice of Birds BMW, who did my suspension upgrade. Kevin Bird said the grip on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is probably the best out there, you would need to be doing insane speed to loosen it, by which time who knows what would happen? death? Prison? So he suggested the Continental Contact Sport 5 which he uses himself on his heavily modified 130i. Kevin says this is a great level of performance to really enjoy the chassis, especially in the wet when the limits are lower. I've got the tyres on order I'll post how well they work, when I've tried them out.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
125tel
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i

Im keen to get rid of my run flats and was going to fit michelin ps3 as i haven't seen many recommendations for other tyres .
Im interested in the contis, but am confused as to why you would pick a lesser tyre, surely you want the most grip for your money or am i missing the point completely ?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

I'm running 265/35/18, 235/35/18 Hankook v12's.
On stock wheels, just lowered on coils. The car feels so much better than stock sizes.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Blake911
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series Coupe 123D AW

I second T-Dubbs. I fitted the same Hankooks Ventus V12's around 2 weeks ago and wouldn't go back to RF! The ride is so much nicer, not as harsh when hitting smaller pot holes, obviously try to avoid but on the odd occasion that you can't help it but in general grip feels a lot better in both dry and wet! wet is when i've really noticed it though. Big difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
125tel
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i

Can i ask how much the Hankooks cost ? My front tyre picked up a nail today, so my rft's are on the way out soon
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 125tel View Post
Can i ask how much the Hankooks cost ? My front tyre picked up a nail today, so my rft's are on the way out soon
This is here in the States, but it might give you a ballpark: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....s+V12+evo+K110
      07-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
BMhead
United Kingdom
Rep

Following my earlier post, I've now been living with a full set of Conti Sportcontact 5s for about a month and experienced mixed driving including a track session.

Overall ride quality with the Birds B1 suspension is spot on. Still all the detailed information from the road but no crashing over bumps.

On the limit is so predictable. 100% grip until you get to astonishing high speeds then its clear if you push more you are going to slide, so a nice big warning. Ive not delved into drifiting, but it is good fun just getting familiar with the feel around the limit.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #9
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMhead View Post
Following my earlier post, I've now been living with a full set of Conti Sportcontact 5s for about a month and experienced mixed driving including a track session.

Overall ride quality with the Birds B1 suspension is spot on. Still all the detailed information from the road but no crashing over bumps.

On the limit is so predictable. 100% grip until you get to astonishing high speeds then its clear if you push more you are going to slide, so a nice big warning. Ive not delved into drifiting, but it is good fun just getting familiar with the feel around the limit.
Sounds similar to my findings after having the Birds B1 fitted back in April along with the Pirelli P Zero tyres.
4k miles of road driving plus one track day and car feels now what it should have been from the factory.

(I'm still tempted to have the rear M3 subframe bushes fitted though as there's still that little bit of disconcerting rear end wiggle on occasions)
      09-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
BMhead
United Kingdom
Rep

Just thought I'd offer an update. Now put around 3000 miles on the Contisport 5 tyres and the Birds B1 suspension is about 4000miles on. The whole car feels really supple and is able to put all its power down, with confidence!

With full traction control, you have to go insanely quick to get the dashboard light to flicker. At this stage I get a very small amount of slip, so it is very stable around the limit.

So my advice is ditch the run flats, get a decent set of sports tyres and change the suspension to something better than teh M Sport set up, then decide if you need a power increase.

I love the idea of more power in theory, but with such a great chasis, suspension, tyre and 300 bhp, I'm struggling to justify further mods.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I love the idea of more power in theory, but with such a great chasis, suspension, tyre and 300 bhp, I'm struggling to justify further mods.
Likewise.

Although, I would recommend a better intercooler. I've got the Forge Motorsport one and I did find that it improved the throttle response and driveability a little, and it was nice to find that it still felt nice and 'peppy' even in the recent hot spell we've had here.
      09-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
BMhead
United Kingdom
Rep

That's interesting. Where did you go to get the inercooler done and how much did it cost?

I would be interested in improved throttle response from tickover to about 1300 rpm. Not sure if the sluggishess is down to the ecu map and lack of turbo power or the DCT getting a bit confused. Any thoughts on that?

Does the intercooler help in that range?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting. Where did you go to get the inercooler done and how much did it cost?

I would be interested in improved throttle response from tickover to about 1300 rpm. Not sure if the sluggishess is down to the ecu map and lack of turbo power or the DCT getting a bit confused. Any thoughts on that?

Does the intercooler help in that range?
I had the intercooler supplied and fitted by Forge Motorsports themselves, down in Gloucester and it was about £700 all in fitted.

Not such a huge improvement that far down in the rev range from memory, but, the throttle response improvement was noticable at urban speeds right after leaving Forge to drive home.

Has your car had any engine software updates....?
You might have been 'upgraded' with the newer 'borked' DME....??
      09-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
BMhead
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your reply. Can't really work out if it is worth £700 to me as I find throttle response is fine, except for the really low rev flat spot.

I have had an upgrade at my BMW main dealer who called me in to get a software upgrade to do with theft security. I guess that's unrelated becuase there has been no change in the low end throttle response.

Ive not had anything else done at my request.

Have you ever had any issue with low end throttle response?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Can't really work out if it is worth £700 to me as I find throttle response is fine
It's worth it for the intake temp drop and heat soak reduction etc. Any improvement in throttle response was just a bonus to that from my point of view.

Quote:
I have had an upgrade at my BMW main dealer who called me in to get a software upgrade to do with theft security. I guess that's unrelated becuase there has been no change in the low end throttle response.
Correct, security update was to the CAS not the engine DME.

Quote:
Have you ever had any issue with low end throttle response?
Only the slight hesitation when comeing off the throttle and rolling up to a roundabout and then trying to quickly get back on it if there's a gap appeared.....which is annoying, but I've learnt to accept it tbh.
      10-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
BMhead
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your reply I appreciate that a better quality intercooler will be more efficient, with in take temp drop etc. but what improvement does this offer in the driving experience? My guess is that you would have to be working the engine very hard in high ambient temps, which are pretty rare driving experiences for me. How are you getting value?

All the best and thanks for your replies
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #17
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your reply I appreciate that a better quality intercooler will be more efficient, with in take temp drop etc. but what improvement does this offer in the driving experience?
Err........ not sure I can answer that as I assumed that was somewhat obvious

Quote:
My guess is that you would have to be working the engine very hard in high ambient temps, which are pretty rare driving experiences for me.
Not at all, differences were noticable right across the board not just at the extreme end of the performance envelope (although, it's most noticable there).

Quote:
How are you getting value?
Bigger smiles per miles
      11-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
BMhead
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks for all your replies. You are clearly getting good value, so I will file this info for when I've saved some more pennies for more upgrading. In the meantime I think its me that needs an upgrade and I am intending to do some more high performance driving training on the road and track, then see where I want to go with the upgrades. The car is pretty awesome as it is. Took it round Rockingham in the damp a few weeks ago, instructor by my side and managed to get around 100mph before the amazing turn 1 banked curve. Equally as satisfying was unwinding lock on the last corner and feeding in to max power allowing it to drift up the banking. Phwoor!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #19
Sam G
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dubbs View Post
I'm running 265/35/18, 235/35/18 Hankook v12's.
On stock wheels, just lowered on coils. The car feels so much better than stock sizes.
I thought 255 rear and 225 front were the largest tyre you could safely fit on the stock wheels?
Appreciate 0