BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #45
corpsman
130 kmh, yeah right.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego,6MT,

If you already have an ipod, stick with the ipod. Sometimes less is more.
      01-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #46
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

i got the xporter 32gb usb flash drive for only $39
it super fast
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #47
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleA View Post
So the AUX plug comes standard in the 135?
Yes, All 1ers have an AUX plug under the armrest, in MY08's the USB connector was an option or included in the Premium Sound System. Now I believe USB may be standard ... in US cars at least.
      01-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #48
HeyNow
Rep
Drives:

you have 40K car pony up for the IPOD

I read this post last night and still can't believe how cheap you guys are. You have a $40,000 car and you are chatting about a buck fifty IPOD? Just do it and be done. The USB stick is not the design as BMW intended and will not work as well as the IPOD. Buy the 8GB mini and get on with it.

Unless of course you have a mullet and drive a camaro!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #49
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

I do not use iTunes, however I use another program for managing iPod. I consider iPod is better option than other USB sources, becaseu it supports better music organization and gives you a power of smart play lists.

Another concern was discussed here, is really double DAC conversion happens if music played over analog AUX as it happens with iPod.
      01-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #50
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow View Post
I read this post last night and still can't believe how cheap you guys are. You have a $40,000 car and you are chatting about a buck fifty IPOD? Just do it and be done. The USB stick is not the design as BMW intended and will not work as well as the IPOD. Buy the 8GB mini and get on with it.
Sorry ... but I don't agree with you. In my personal opinion the USB option is way better. This is a subjective argument, but I am totally against converting from compressed Digital to Analogue, back to digital. I have chosen a USB drive because my personal experience is that it sounds better (maybe the Premium Sound system makes a difference, don't know, con't care).

Plus my way, I get to use my AUX port for my Sirius Satellite. Sorry I know I should pay 5 times as much for the BMW Sirius receiver as well, but as you say I'm cheap :smile:

And to be complete while on a rant ... by using specially crafted Directory structures, I never have to wait for the scan of the drive to take place before using it. Additionally, I have almost 20Gbytes of music, so would have had to spend a heap on a 80Gbyte classic, or a 32Gbyte iTouch, versus $60 for a 32Gbyte USB stick.
      01-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #51
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
Is really double DAC conversion happens if music played over analog AUX as it happens with iPod.
Definately yes if you have the Premium Sound System, as the communications between the HU and the Amp is over the Fibre Optic Bus.

For the standard system, I doubt it, without seeing the circuit diagram, it's hard to know if it is kept analogue the whole way or not.
      01-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #52
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Ronnie View Post
Sorry ... but I don't agree with you. In my personal opinion the USB option is way better. This is a subjective argument, but I am totally against converting from compressed Digital to Analogue, back to digital. I have chosen a USB drive because my personal experience is that it sounds better (maybe the Premium Sound system makes a difference, don't know, con't care).

Plus my way, I get to use my AUX port for my Sirius Satellite. Sorry I know I should pay 5 times as much for the BMW Sirius receiver as well, but as you say I'm cheap :smile:
Had to chime in on this one. You're worried about the imperceptible audio quality difference between the dacs and listen to Sirius? Sirius is HE-AAC that used to be 40kbps but recently dropped to the mid 30kbps to add a few XM channels. That is definitely not subjective.

Also, depending on your audio setup it may or may not go through two DACs.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #53
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep

No arguments there. I use Sirius is for variety, and it sure doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my USB stick !! And I'm not really "worried" about multiple DAC's, in my car I feel I can percieve a diffrence between my iPod and the car Decoding.
      01-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #54
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

I decided to try a USB thumb drive, it definitely sounds much better on a lot of songs than the ipod does. The radio reads the id3 tags from the music files and the functions work the same as with the ipod, I've also found that the radio will play MP3 and MP4 files from the USB drive (it won't play apple lossless m4a files though).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #55
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
I decided to try a USB thumb drive, it definitely sounds much better on a lot of songs than the ipod does. The radio reads the id3 tags from the music files and the functions work the same as with the ipod, I've also found that the radio will play MP3 and MP4 files from the USB drive (it won't play apple lossless m4a files though).
use wma lossless, bigger size but the quality is so good..
Appreciate 0