BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Ok....what to do when 3M tape fails to hold up

I've got some Carbon Fiber front splitters (one on each side vs. 1 solid one all the way across....see sample picture below) from Exotics Tuning that I really like, but the adhesive tape is just not up to the task. This is especially true as the weather warms and at highway (or slightly higher ) speeds. The heat seems to soften the adhesive on the tape, and when combined with the downforce, it wants to slide down a little and then does not look quite right after. they are well connected to the bottom via the 4 screws on each side that attach the bumper to the liner underneath. At first, I took them off and found that they are actually separating on the splitter side vs the side that attaches to the lower bumper. I took off all the tape, cleaned the surface on the inside of the splitter well, and put on a double size dose of the 3M mounting tape. Reinstalled and all looked good. Unfortunately, after sitting in the sun in a parking lot for about an hour and driving 80 on the way home on the interstate, they moved again and did not look as good again.

So my question.... What next? I want something that is reversible and won't hurt the paint, but will hold better as the hot weather approaches. Simply driving the car no more than 40mph is not an option. I read something about 'betalink' or (something like that) that people were using to more securely hold down corners of rear carbon fiber spoilers that were not a perfect fit and wanted to pull up. However, I don't know what this is, how reversible, how easy to use, or what other options are.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Just went to the 3M site to read up on different tapes. Now my mind is really blown (information overload without any real improvement in knowing what I need!). I also found a post where they indicated the betalink was permanent, so that is likely off the table.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
have you talked to exotic tunning? wonder what they have to say about it
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

The 3M tape is fine. If you are worried about them falling off then you need to pull them off, apply some adhesion promoter that you can get at any auto paint supply store, and then put the splitters back on with the same 3M tape as before.
      04-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

What about using some clear 3M silicone?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTaz02 View Post
velcro!
Nice

"adhesion promoter" - interesting. Had not heard of this but will look into it. I've generally had good luck with the 3M tape in the past as was a little surprised, and disappointed, that my "go to" fix had failed me.

I PMd Exotic Tuning earlier and am awaiting a response from them as well.

Just for fun I took my power drill and two 4" screws through the living room earlier and told my wife "I know what to do to fix it". I did not get another 10 feet before she was on her feet asking me if I had lost my mind. I thought it was funny.....she was less amused
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Bimmer View Post
Nice

"adhesion promoter" - interesting. Had not heard of this but will look into it. I've generally had good luck with the 3M tape in the past as was a little surprised, and disappointed, that my "go to" fix had failed me.

I PMd Exotic Tuning earlier and am awaiting a response from them as well.

Just for fun I took my power drill and two 4" screws through the living room earlier and told my wife "I know what to do to fix it". I did not get another 10 feet before she was on her feet asking me if I had lost my mind. I thought it was funny.....she was less amused
All you need to tell them is you need adhesion promoter to make sure the body panel tape sticks and they will know what you are talking about.
      05-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 640d Gran Coupe

Hi

I had the same problem as you with the splitters sliding down after installation within a couple of hours of the car just sitting in the garage. On my first install I had some 3M double sided tape lying around and used some as I wasn't convinced that the supplied tape would hold. Turns out that a combo of both wouldn't hold either. I contacted Exotic and got a swift response from Ken who mentioned cleaning the bumper to remove any wax/polish etc to ensure a good surface to cling to. So even though my car was only two days old and spotless I cleaned that area and dried it off and reinstalled the splitters using 3M tape exclusively after removing the supplied tape. I again had the splitters slide down. So on my third attempt I made sure I very firmly pressed the splitter onto the bumper where it should go and then continued to press firmly to hold it in place while tightening the four screws up underneath. Was a pain (literally) to do and I'd recommend getting another pair of hands to assist but it finally worked. I did this a few weeks ago now and only one side has slid down a tiny amount that isn't obvious enough to worry about. I've also washed the car and driven for a while over 110kph (65mph) and had heat around 30 degrees celcius (around 100 degrees F I think) without any change. I think because the fitment is so tight and the splitters aren't at all flexible they are much harder to fit. So in my opinion the 3M tape should be enough to do the job. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Just got mine this weekend and installed yesterday and I was annoyed with this. I will look into the adhesive promoter as well. Would autozone have the adhesive promoter?
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade+ View Post
Just got mine this weekend and installed yesterday and I was annoyed with this. I will look into the adhesive promoter as well. Would autozone have the adhesive promoter?
I don't think they will but it is worth a try. If you have O'Reilly's in your town try them as well but you are pretty much guaranteed to find some at the automotive paint supply store. I know 3M makes some but I am not sure if there are other companies out there that do.

Also, on a side note, if you do use the adhesion promoter make sure that part is exactly where you want it. It isn't easy to pull the tape off after it is applied when using the promoter.
      05-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Augu$tu$
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Don't use 3M tape. Especially on the front spoiler. It's not going to hold for very long. BMW offers an adhesive kit that comes with the CF rear spoiler. It costs about $20 and comes with sand paper and prepping solution. It can be kinda messy, but if you do it right and clean any excess showing immediately afterwars it will hold much better.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcourville View Post
Don't use 3M tape. Especially on the front spoiler. It's not going to hold for very long. BMW offers an adhesive kit that comes with the CF rear spoiler. It costs about $20 and comes with sand paper and prepping solution. It can be kinda messy, but if you do it right and clean any excess showing immediately afterwars it will hold much better.
It's called BetaLink...black gooey tar stuff... stuff is messy indeed but strong as a mofo
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

beta link on the front bumper, interesting..
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
So my question.... What next? I want something that is reversible and won't hurt the paint, but will hold better as the hot weather approaches. Simply driving the car no more than 40mph is not an option. I read something about 'betalink' or (something like that) that people were using to more securely hold down corners of rear carbon fiber spoilers that were not a perfect fit and wanted to pull up. However, I don't know what this is, how reversible, how easy to use, or what other options are.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smac355 View Post
It's called BetaLink...black gooey tar stuff... stuff is messy indeed but strong as a mofo
As you can see from the OP he wants it to be reversible so BetaLink is definitely not an option. This is why I suggested what I did above to maintain a stronger bond but still be reversible if and when he decides to go another route.
      05-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

I got the adhesion promoter and used it primarily on the inside of the CF splitter after cleaning it. I was having most problems with it pulling away from that side vs. the bumper. In fact, when I took one off this time, I'd say 95% of the tape stayed on the bumper and had pulled away from the splitter. I just did one as a 'test' and will be taking it out this weekend to sit in the sun for a couple hours and then take it for an extended interstate ride at 80mph. I'll report back after the test
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
I got the adhesion promoter and used it primarily on the inside of the CF splitter after cleaning it. I was having most problems with it pulling away from that side vs. the bumper. In fact, when I took one off this time, I'd say 95% of the tape stayed on the bumper and had pulled away from the splitter. I just did one as a 'test' and will be taking it out this weekend to sit in the sun for a couple hours and then take it for an extended interstate ride at 80mph. I'll report back after the test
What did you use to clean the parts before you applied the adhesion promoter? Improper surface preparation can be part of the root cause here.
      05-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Any updates LA? How did it work for you? I will probably redo mine this weekend.
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Good info for my upcoming perpetually late icarbon CF front spoiler.
      05-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
What did you use to clean the parts before you applied the adhesion promoter? Improper surface preparation can be part of the root cause here.
From what i've learned, preping the surface area before install is so crucial. I'd wash the area with a mild dishwasher soap/water first and wipe dry. Then wipe area down gently with rubbing alcohol to remove any oil etc.

Applying adhesion promotor helps alot, but a technique i've seen some shops do is use a heat gun to apply some heat on the area of the spoiler with 3M automotive tape already applied.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #20
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I used the Betalink on the rear spoiler on my car, and I'm pretty sure it's never coming off. The stuff works, but it's absolutely permenant unless you're willing to strip the part down and repaint it after you've removed it.

As mentioned above, it's also very messy.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

For the prep of the bumper I had cleaned with dawn and used the alcohol. This always worked well in the past. On the CF piece I did a little Goo Gone to get rid of residue from original tape, then wiped with alcohol and scuffed very lightly with a little sandpaper. I used painters tape to expose only the part I'd be putting the tape on and did two very light sprays of the adhesive promoter with 2 minutes in between 'coats'. After the second coat I waited 4 minutes and then applied the 3M tape to the splitter. Same basic steps on the bumper...tape off area...spray lightly..2 min..spray lightly...4 minutes and apply. (suggestions by the auto paint supply store) The real test will be this weekend but my wife had it out yesterday in the 90 degree weather for 4 hours running errands and a 10 mile drive on the highway. Has not moved at all and is MUCH more solid than the other side (my comparison side with the larger taped sections. If Saturday goes well, I'll do the other side that evening. So far I'm very pleased. Seems like a hassle, but really not that bad (especially if you figure the extra time appears to mean it gets done ONCE and stays). Betalink would be just as much of a hassle, but would NOT be easily reversed if needed, and a screw up would be a much bigger deal. I'll report back after the 'high speed' and hot day test this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #22
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

it should work fine, we havent had any issues with 3M
Appreciate 0