E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Daytime Running Lamps

06-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
abpatel
Rep
Drives:

Cool Daytime Running Lamps

Hi All,

When asked by the dealer, I choose to have DRL. After receiving my car, no lights are on during the day. Is there a way to configure this in iDrive or do I have to take it back to the dealer? I read the other posts and manual but was not able to find a concrete answer.

Thanks a lot. BTW, the car is great.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

the software update for DRL hasn't been released yet. Still no word as to when BMWNA will have a fix for it.

Nathan
[ US 2010 X5 3.0 | Space Gray | Black Nevada Leather | Dark Bamboo Wood Trim | Premium Package | Sport Activity Package | Premium Sound Package | Technology Package | Heated Front Seats | Multi-Contour Seats | Smartphone Integration | Space Saver | iPhone 3GS ]
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
BMWChi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 (May 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abpatel
Hi All,

When asked by the dealer, I choose to have DRL. After receiving my car, no lights are on during the day. Is there a way to configure this in iDrive or do I have to take it back to the dealer? I read the other posts and manual but was not able to find a concrete answer.

I've heard from my dealership that the DRL are not currently configurable by the dealer or by iDrive. There is supposed to be a software upgrade to allow them to be set by the dealer, but he wasn't sure if it would be configurable through iDrive. Since there are no instructions in the manual for setting them, I would guess that it will be a dealership only configurable setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

I was told that not having iDrive, I'd have to schedule an appointment with the dealer to get it reprogrammed. He stated that with iDrive, it is user programmable.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
Ponchoyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Black

In Canada, its a law to have DRL which the iDrive would not allow any user to disable. You may have to go to the dealer....at least it would be covered under the warranty since you asked for it in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I was told the same thing by the dealer today: their computer can't turn it on on this model. They have no idea on whether they'll get an update. This doesn't mean the car can't have it; I'm sure it will be set to on in countries that require that by law.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by abpatel
Hi All,

I am not sure but I think that the Automatic headlight setting might give you some sort of daytime running lights... Anybody?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
silverado
Captain
Rep

It sounds logical, but it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
matrix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I called BMWNA today and was told that the software required to program the DRL will not be available until September 2005. They will distribute it to the Dealers and the cars will have to be brought in to have that function retrofitted.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #10
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
September 2005? What a freakin crock! And now I'm seeing my car miss two ships since arriving in port and it probably won't make it to me before I have to leave LA for Seattle.

I am THIS close to cancelling my order and waiting until October.
      06-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

why would you even want that??

DRL, you could just turn your lights on during the day if you wanted to look like a dork
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #12
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i MSport

With out wanting to be rude, I second that opinion..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #13
silverado
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

DRL, you could just turn your lights on during the day if you wanted to look like a dork
Grow up, man. People don't have to like what you like to not be "dorks".
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #14
matrix
Private
Rep

Quote:

Just because it's not important to you doesn't give you the right to insult others who thinks it's a good feature. Also, In some States, like mine, some insurance companies gives you a discount for having DRL enabled on your car. I guess that's makes me a "dork."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #15
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

alright guys, we don't want this ending up like roadfly now do we?

DRL is a nice feature and whether you want to use them or not is completely up to you.

Later,

Nathan
[ US 2010 X5 3.0 | Space Gray | Black Nevada Leather | Dark Bamboo Wood Trim | Premium Package | Sport Activity Package | Premium Sound Package | Technology Package | Heated Front Seats | Multi-Contour Seats | Smartphone Integration | Space Saver | iPhone 3GS ]
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #16
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix
Just because it's not important to you doesn't give you the right to insult others who thinks it's a good feature. Also, In some States, like mine, some insurance companies gives you a discount for having DRL enabled on your car. I guess that's makes me a "dork."
what kind of discount are you looking at???

I personally think of GM products when I think of DRL's since they were the first ones to do that in the states, and in my opinion GM products are junk. That's why I don't like DRL's

you'll always notice one light is burnt out on those GM cars
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #17
silverado
Captain
Rep

BMW NA told me this morning that daytime running lights and audio alarm confirmation when locking the car should be available in a software update NOW. They said there was a bulletin that was issued only this week stating that. He said that my dealer should be able to get it by "connecting to the network".
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #18
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thanks Silverado for PM'ing me the contact info for BMW NA. I called them right up and got someone. Very nice people, and not offshored! Anyways, I asked about my mp3/iDrive hardware or software thing... and they didn't know of anything. They didn't even know about RDS or mp3 through the Cd changer issues for iDrive cars. Furthermore, my last question was about DRL's, and they said they didn't know anything about them either. I guess the answers you get just depend on who you talk to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
BMW NA told me this morning that daytime running lights and audio alarm confirmation when locking the car should be available in a software update NOW. They said there was a bulletin that was issued only this week stating that. He said that my dealer should be able to get it by "connecting to the network".
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #19
ward
Major General
Rep

any new yorkers have an idea how much you can save on your insurance by having this feature turned on????
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #20
segfault
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No longer own a BMW

Quote:
I personally think of GM products when I think of DRL's since they were the first ones to do that in the states, and in my opinion GM products are junk. That's why I don't like DRL's

you'll always notice one light is burnt out on those GM cars
There are a lot of other (better respected) car companies using DRL's on some or all of their cars. Toyota, Volvo, and Subaru, to name a few.

Most of the burned-out ones I see are the minivans and full-size trucks. I know that the full-size trucks came with a bulb that had a lifetime of a really low number of hours--500 perhaps?--and there was a TSB issued on them.

I am driving a Canyon pickup while waiting for my E90 to get here, and find that the auto headlamps do not come on soon enough at dusk or when it is raining, so I just uncoupled the light sensor so that the low-beams stay on all the time.

I'm not sure that I would use the term junk to describe most GM products, as quite a few of them make decent reliability showings, but many of the designs are poorly thought-out and the products themselves are in the lower part of their class. Another example on the Canyon regular cab, there is an enormous blind spot on the driver's side. I am looking forward to having a car with rear windows and better visibility.

I have never heard of an insurance discount for DRL's. They ought to give one for stability control, given the studies that were recently released on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #21
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

DRLs are enabled on the E46 and there IS a discount for them, but I dont know how much. Personally, I dont like them but if they'll save a few dollars I guess I can live with them.

I hate GMs use of the side markers for DRLs. Everytime I see a GM car I'm sure my blood pressure raises a bit. I also dislike the idiots that drive around with just their parking lights on, so I'm sure that has something to do with my dislike for GMs DRLs.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 09:45 AM   #22
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
any new yorkers have an idea how much you can save on your insurance by having this feature turned on????
It defintely a discount on the insurance. When i got quoted they put the DRL on it. For me it is probably 50-100 bucks off per year.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0