BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Why so much more?

My current 128i is financed through an "Owners Choice" or whatever they call it program, which is similar to a lease but the car is under my name (so if I purchase it at the end of the lease I do not have to pay taxes in some states since I am already the legal owner). I am 6 months away from the end of the lease and I am getting phone calls from my dealership to propose to discuss options. The truth is that there is absolutely no cars on the market in my price range that I currently care about so my only choices at this point is either to refinance my current car (only 22,000 miles and looks absolutely new, never had any issues with it) or go for the exact same one (would maybe change the color so that I actually have the feeling owning a new car). Configuring the same exact car than the one I have (except for M-sport instead of "Sport since they no longer offer the latter) I am now close to $5.000 above what I had mine in 2010 (2011 model), basically 3500 above for the difference with metal color (mine is white, I want carbon black for my next one) and the difference between M-sport and sport.

Why this difference???? Are they running any special (other than the $750 loyalty) that significantly drop the price? Should I even bother to try to negotiate a new one ? I don't feel like paying more than $100/months for the SAME car (especially on its last or almost model year)
      01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Inflation and changes in currency rates could be a factor but I find this a bit strange because I had a pretty loaded up 2010 135i ($46,600 sticker) that I was paying about $580 for. To lease an equally equipped 2013 135iS, I would have been paying slightly less than that for a higher model. Lease rates were a bit of a factor but the bundling of options is where I really saved.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Well options will always get you and BMW is constantly changing the and bundling the options differently. However I'm not sure if you're aware but the base price of the 1 series both 28 and 35 have gone up every year it's been in production. Kinda funny sense the only hugely different changes was from n54 to n55 right. But from 2008 to now when I just bought my 2013 the base price has increased by about 6000. Almost a 1000 per yr.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I don't have the answer--though I did spec out a 2012, carbon-copy of my '09 128, on BMW's website. The difference, spec-to-spec, option-to-option, was about $2,000 over what my sticker says.

I haven't used my sunroof all that much, so I could drop it, if ordering a new one. Now, I am down to $1,000 more on the sticker than I saw in '09.

Either way, we BMW/USA customers pay some of the lower-level prices for our cars. Just look at what our out-of-country friends on this forum pay. I could name a long list of countries where, if I lived there, I could not afford a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
I don't have the answer--though I did spec out a 2012, carbon-copy of my '09 128, on BMW's website. The difference, spec-to-spec, option-to-option, was about $2,000 over what my sticker says.

I haven't used my sunroof all that much, so I could drop it, if ordering a new one. Now, I am down to $1,000 more on the sticker than I saw in '09.

Either way, we BMW/USA customers pay some of the lower-level prices for our cars. Just look at what our out-of-country friends on this forum pay. I could name a long list of countries where, if I lived there, I could not afford a BMW.
Tru that bro. And most of the time it's their taxes. Had I bought this car as a Spanish citizen here in Spain it would have cost me 13000 more because of tax
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Hey, Bmwbreed! How is Rota? I know that it is down in Andalucia, on the Atlantic side of Gibraltar. Didn't realize that we have a military installation there. I hear that Spain's unemployment rate is in the 20's.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I remember when my brother got a 2008 135i with 0 options(manual, leatherette) it was about 36k. Now a 135i starts at 39k so its about a 3k difference. Of course, I believe more things are standard and you have to adjust for inflation
      01-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53
Hey, Bmwbreed! How is Rota? I know that it is down in Andalucia, on the Atlantic side of Gibraltar. Didn't realize that we have a military installation there. I hear that Spain's unemployment rate is in the 20's.
Yup you are exactly right. It's a naval base but I'm Air Force here for enroute jets. Well the place is nice the weather is usually great unless its raining and it's very nice being so close to the beach. I can literally walk from where I live. But you are right about the unemployment. It's bad. Most young people don't have jobs and live with their parents til they are married basically or like 35. But also these people have terrible work ethic. Sorry if that offends anyone. Yes I know most of Europe thinks Americans work to much an too hard and it's somewhat true but these people just never wanna work they always wanna take breaks or siestas 2.5 hour lunches and they are slow about everything. And they stay up late and party and wake up at 9. I know it's how they do things but withe the crisis their country is in I think changing their work ethic would help. But it's a beautiful place to live. They even drive slow and careless. Not like Germany at all which I lived for 8 yrs. but it's a beautiful place to live and very close to Gibraltar and morroco. Sorry for jacking thread

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
F30Alpine
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine3

Id say unless you somehow manage to get a lower monthly rate id stay with the same car provided it gives you no problems. As someone mentioned, rates might be favorable and you might end up paying less.
Long story short. He was a huge black male. Probably 6'2" or taller and 250 lbs. He was angry as hell, and I am a tiny 5'4 white male. So, I did the only thing I could, I threw my car into reverse and no one was behind me, and I drove thru the red light as I went around him.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Alpine View Post
Id say unless you somehow manage to get a lower monthly rate id stay with the same car provided it gives you no problems. As someone mentioned, rates might be favorable and you might end up paying less.
I pay 5.5% now and I can refinance in 3 years at 3.2% (or not refinance at all and pay $21.000 cash). I don't think I could get better than that for a new one. The car has been pampered , did not encounter any issues except for the famous armrest squeak and wind noises. I only have 22,000 miles on it...