BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
bimmer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
1987 325is  [0.00]
Opinions Welcome

I placed my order 3 weeks ago after negotiation and such. They offered to give me a pretty reasonable trade on the outgoing 135i, but weren't overly excited about discounting the new one. So I decided on EU delivery and they gave me $1,000 under EU MSRP, plus I will get other rebates like loyalty and CCA. Overall it was a great deal considering the trade. I wasn't thrilled about .002 money factor, so I asked and they said it was the best available.

Fast forward to today. I sold what was going to be my trade-in to a friend. So now I am thinking $1,000 under invoice and .002 mf definitely isn't the best deal straight up. I see a few mentions on this forum regarding .00167 mf rates. For those knowledgeable about leases, I did get the US Residual Value. Relatively speaking it is still a lot of car for the money, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to get the best rates on financing.

I called today and they seem firm on the .002 mf even though I'm pretty confident that is not BMW's best rate for someone of exceptional credit. I'm waiting for the finance guy to call me back with an explanation. I thought about calling BMW Finance, but haven't yet.

I'd love to hear some opinions, thoughts, or other experiences regarding leasing.

FYI-I consider myself pretty knowledgeable regarding leases. I've always purchased cars, but for this one I simply don't care that it technically costs more over time vs. purchasing. I just want to pay the least within the lease range.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Having gone through this in the last few weeks, need more info to determine if good/bad cause the residual percentages change based on the term of the lease, # of miles per year, etc.

Also need to know where you're located to help as well.

The money factor though for February should be .0013 and the residuals like I said depend on how many miles per year. 10K/year is 63% and I forget what it is at 12K, but I can find out as they worked my lease up at that at one point but was either 60 or 61% I think.

Dealers out here in L.A. are taking 3-4K off ordered cars as I'm getting $4k off my 135is I ordered. But, there are also roughly 15-20 BMW dealers within 50 miles of me, whereas if there are only a few dealers in your state or area, you'll have less leverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
friedymeister
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Convertible

The website ridewithg.com has the current residuals and MF for BMWs models.

When you do european delivery, they calculate the lease payment based off US MSRP and residual, but they raise the money factor to account for the 2 months you aren't making payments while the car is in transit. If you compare the money factor they gave you against the current money factor and find that the difference comes out the the equivalent of two monthly payments, then that is correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
bimmer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
1987 325is  [0.00]
Thanks for the input. I am hearing that the MF is higher on EU Delivery. In my opinon, .0013 vs. .002 seems like a pretty decent increase monthly on a lease. My sales guy said "BMW pays the first payment though." Technically this is inaccurate as they jack the finanancing, so really I am paying it in the form of interest spread out over the lease terms.

BTW, we are using EU Prices for the purchase less Loyalty (~$37k) but US MSRP to calculate the residual turn in ($41k * .63 = $26k). I've put $1,000 down, so I should really only be paying about $11-12k more for the term of the lease once they add tax, tag, title, plus the interest on the lease itself.

There are so many ways for dealers to rip of customers on a lease it is outrageous. I feel like anyone not undertanding all of the mechanics gets taken, big time. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable; I know the sales staff well as this is my 7th BMW. But it is still very difficult to get straight answers. If I kept my client's in the dark like this, I wouldn't have any.
Appreciate 0