BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quick thoughts.

One. The Internet price almost certainly was a mistake if it is that much below invoice.

Two. The dealer is not legally obligated to sell you, or anyone else for that matter, that car for that price. Contracts 101. A retailer's listed price is not an offer, but merely an invitation to negotiate. I agree this was almost certainly a pricing mistake with the dealers automated software program. I imagine these sorts of mistakes happen quite frequently.

Three. The dealer most likely can't retain your deposit. Obviously if it was paid on a credit card, you can dispute the charge. I've never heard of a situation where a credit card company sided with a dealer under that circumstance. Otherwise that issue becomes a question of state law and the documents you signed.

Bottom line. You want the car. They have the car. They want to sell you the car. Get a deal done on terms that are reasonable for both of you. I would say between 500 and 1000 over invoice, accounting for padding of the doc fee and any MACO and training expenses. If the dealer won't play ball, then the situation becomes purely one of leverage. In other words, can you find an identical or similar car at the price you want to pay. The dealer will tell you these cars are in short supply. That is true. They are also in very limited demand.

Best of luck to you. I hope you end up driving it home and enjoying the hell out of it for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #24
eywflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is DSB 6MT 269/613

To wrap up this story, I ended up getting them to agree to a Consumer Report price certificate I ran while sitting at the dealer. Final price (excluding taxes/registration) was $46954. Invoice as shown on bmwconfig for that specific configuration was $45290. MSRP was $48620. I could have probably forced them down a bit lower by threatening to walk out etc, but to get another 135is DSB 6MT HK with premium but not tech would have required starting over with an order elsewhere then waiting another 2 months minimum. I probably paid about $1000 more than I really should have, but I'm not going to worry about it at this point.

On further review, the internet price was probably an error as it was down to the dollar the base vehicle MSRP ($43250) with no options and excluding destination charge.

Last edited by eywflyer; 03-24-2013 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0