BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Order a 128i again or step up to a 135i?

If I don't buy out my car...I would like to lease a 135i vert..
I'm looking for some insight on lease payments. What I should do to get payments around my preferred price range of $440 per month?
I found an awesome msport blue water/oyster 135i. It' s a new car.
The car is a early 2013 135i vert (july/oct 2012). The car's price is $51,000 and I'd most likley be putting $4,000 or $5,000 down on it.

Any ideas on what I should expect to pay??

On BMW USA's webpage the lease offer is for a $47-48k 135i vert. @$449/month. -$2,500 down.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I'd focus first on the model decision, then figure out the financial aspects and feasibility. If you really want one model over the other, but you make your decision based primarily on the numbers, you might kick yourself for a long while.

Aside from the drivetrain difference, a 128i and 135i can be nearly identically configured, so I think you should ask yourself (and be honest):

Do you feel like you desire more power most of the time or just once in a while?

Do you pay attention to the engine characteristics (naturally aspirated vs. turbo) and care how they affect your driving style, or is that not important to you?

Would you mind adding a little weight to the car to gain more power?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

1) Honestly, I would purchase rather than lease. I leased my wife's 328xi and am regretting it 1 year into the lease from a financial standpoint.
2) Given the above, I could be happy with a 128i convertible if it meant purchasing rather than leasing. The extra power of a 135i is nice, but I have no problems with the smaller engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I think that the 135 is a great car. It takes all of the great driving dynamics of the 1-series, and it accelerates like a bat of you-know-what.

That said, I have a 128. It has satisfied my need for fun-to-drive, every single day.

To me, it is not about "stepping up." It is about coming to the realization of which car suits you better, and figuring out the best way to put one in your garage.

I will likely replace my 128 with another one. But, that's just me.

It's only about getting in the car, starting it up, and thinking to oneself, "I'm happy to be here."

I would rather purchase than lease. But, that suits my financial mindset better.

Good luck in your decision!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I'd focus first on the model decision, then figure out the financial aspects and feasibility. If you really want one model over the other, but you make your decision based primarily on the numbers, you might kick yourself for a long while.

Aside from the drivetrain difference, a 128i and 135i can be nearly identically configured, so I think you should ask yourself (and be honest):

Do you feel like you desire more power most of the time or just once in a while?

Do you pay attention to the engine characteristics (naturally aspirated vs. turbo) and care how they affect your driving style, or is that not important to you?

Would you mind adding a little weight to the car to gain more power?
Thanks.
No, I'm sure I'd love the power. My dad has a 11' 1M, it has lots of appeal to car enthusiasts, especially in the BMW CCA.

My 128i is very nice. I've attached a pic. I'm a long time BMW CCA member and at 32 years old I've been around it since I was a little kid (dad is an officer). No serious enthusiast even glances an eye at my car because it's just a 128i. In saying that, it doesn't bother me....I built this car to my standards 100%. *It would be cool though to have a 135i for the fact that enthusiasts would actually draw conversation with me LOL. To them I drive a non sport girl's car. To me it's an elegant stylish cruiser that looks great.
When I got the car I was 29 and it was my first ever NEW BMW. There was no way that I could afford a nicely optioned 135i vert at the time.

Back to the 135i: The engine is not the issue though. I love the light blue color as it is very similar to my 1988 325i. Wish I could still get the 1 tone grey boston leather again....that's where the kicking starts, regardless of price and options.
It looks best IMHO. Wish they still made it. Not a fan of the 2 tone color interiors. Black has nothing to do with such a nice lighter shade of blue.
I think oyster will be better than taupe, but still both are not as nice as grey .

Basically for the 135i I get an enthusiast approved car that looks great. Looks aggressive. M sport package. Would fit in with the 135i coupe guys in my bmw cca club.
Has LCI. That's a plus.
(Hate the smokers pkg ( I have the tray), Despise the rear seat ski bag & parcel tray. I also get the jacked up 2012 convertible headrests which cannot be lowered without taking apart your interior and modifying the headrest posts. (mine doesn't have this stupid feature)
Production date sticker does not have a BMW roundel on it...looks worse to me.
2 tone interior only looks great if you have a dark color bimmer (excludes the space grey/coral red , titanium/coral red, and alpind white/coral red..they look good with 2 tone) Blue water doesn't look great with oyster, The only ideal interior choice for such a light blue (even taupe looks odd with it) This is all IMHO, of course.

I'd buy my car out but it was rear ended by a sloppy 40 year old (& non-insured) lady driving a beaten up 1996 Nissan 240sx on 3-19-13 (minor cosmetic) damage). Just got my car back from repair on Friday. The paint doesn't match! The BMW dealership knows how anal I am, they told me the day I dropped it off that it would not match 100%. They were right and the paint doesn't match. I can tell it was repainted.
My car is a 6-2010 production car with 19k miles and I was planning to buy it out...but not after this. I cannot accept driving around for 7 years with the buper looking like that. A lot of people would accept this, but it doesn't look right to me. I'm not trying to anger anyone with my stubbornness. I'm disappointed and it just happened recently. Not over it yet. I certainly don't look at my car the same way. I've already started just putting off it's car washing routine this week. I feel like why bother.

With all this going on, I have been closely following the 2012+ 1 series cars and I've always built mine for fun on the configurator in Blue Water with Oyster and Moonlight top. Nothing has changed there. Always thought about doing it.

Still don't think the Oyster (because of the BLACK portions of the paneling. The Oyster is just an "insert". To me it's a cost-saving move..."make all our door cards in black then slap in some color inserts" Even all the roll-over protection beams behind the rear headrests are Black. Looks out of place and cheap.

I have so many thoughts running around about what to do. I guess I'll find out in due time. My current 128i lease is up in July. Not a good vibe though because I spend every day thinking about a choice I have to make. I don't want a 2 series.

Last edited by Uptempo80; 04-04-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

I understand where you're coming from. A 128i maybe not be considered a "serious enthusiast" model by some, but who cares? That N52 is a fine engine and it offers plenty of power for a car the size of a 1 in 95% of driving conditions. It's not a high-speed track beast and it is limited in terms of engine tuning options, so you have to be willing to appreciate it for what it is and not worry about what it isn't.

That said, I don't think an automatic transmission is a great match for the 128i (are you thinking auto or manual?), and the extra weight of the convertible doesn't help either. Before I bought my 335i Coupe, I test drove a 135i Coupe with the regular automatic transmission (dealer had no manuals, of course) and it was a winner. I'd still prefer a manual in any situation, but the N55 and an automatic are a fine match IMO. I'm sure DCT is that much better, but I've never had the opportunity to drive or ride in one.

I know a few friends who are perplexed by my decision to turn in a 335i Coupe and replace it with a 128i Coupe because they automatically think that more power and a higher number on the badge are always better. I don't care about status or being the fastest guy on the block -- I just want a traditional, nimble BMW with a naturally aspirated engine because that is my strong preference. There are certainly some aspects of my current car that I'll miss in the 128i (even ignoring the additional power), but I know myself well and I know this is the right move for me.

And that brings me to my point: IMO, the most important thing is to know your own value system, stick with it and don't worry what anyone else says or thinks...including me! Seriously, it seems like you know what you really want, but you're also trying trying to take into consideration your experiences with other CCA members. That will probably result in a compromised decision, and for what?

If you really must have Blue Water -- and again, I understand that sentiment because I *love* the color of my current car and I would buy another Blue Water car in a heartbeat -- and you want to stick with a convertible, the decision about engine and options may almost make themselves. 1 Series are not common in the U.S. and Blue Water is definitely a rare color, so you may need to keep an open mind or consider other colors. If you must have Blue Water, I'd start searching now because they're only going to decrease in number from here forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

If you are getting the vert get the 135i. You already don't put much preference in weight so I doubt you will notice.
      04-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I understand where you're coming from. A 128i maybe not be considered a "serious enthusiast" model by some, but who cares? That N52 is a fine engine and it offers plenty of power for a car the size of a 1 in 95% of driving conditions. It's not a high-speed track beast and it is limited in terms of engine tuning options, so you have to be willing to appreciate it for what it is and not worry about what it isn't.

That said, I don't think an automatic transmission is a great match for the 128i (are you thinking auto or manual?), and the extra weight of the convertible doesn't help either. Before I bought my 335i Coupe, I test drove a 135i Coupe with the regular automatic transmission (dealer had no manuals, of course) and it was a winner. I'd still prefer a manual in any situation, but the N55 and an automatic are a fine match IMO. I'm sure DCT is that much better, but I've never had the opportunity to drive or ride in one.

I know a few friends who are perplexed by my decision to turn in a 335i Coupe and replace it with a 128i Coupe because they automatically think that more power and a higher number on the badge are always better. I don't care about status or being the fastest guy on the block -- I just want a traditional, nimble BMW with a naturally aspirated engine because that is my strong preference. There are certainly some aspects of my current car that I'll miss in the 128i (even ignoring the additional power), but I know myself well and I know this is the right move for me.

And that brings me to my point: IMO, the most important thing is to know your own value system, stick with it and don't worry what anyone else says or thinks...including me! Seriously, it seems like you know what you really want, but you're also trying trying to take into consideration your experiences with other CCA members. That will probably result in a compromised decision, and for what?

If you really must have Blue Water -- and again, I understand that sentiment because I *love* the color of my current car and I would buy another Blue Water car in a heartbeat -- and you want to stick with a convertible, the decision about engine and options may almost make themselves. 1 Series are not common in the U.S. and Blue Water is definitely a rare color, so you may need to keep an open mind or consider other colors. If you must have Blue Water, I'd start searching now because they're only going to decrease in number from here forward.
The CCA guys don't bother me too much, but I've always wondered "what if". With that said, I'm fine with the 128i. I love drivers roads and since I live in PA, I get a fair share of options for back mountain drives. I am very particular with my car's and how it all goes together and I do that within my budget. Hopefully the nerve-ending times subsides and I just make the call on my current ride (buy out?) or my new ride.

On a side note, my salesman is looking thru his database for a new blue water 128i or 135i with preferred options, etc. That is if I have to get a new car.

I really enjoy the 1series, both the E88 and E82. Reminds me of the 2002 and of course my E30.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

I'd say get what your heart tells you to? Both are great cars the 128i is the church going girl who hikes her skirt up in the weekends fr some weekend fun while the 135i is the black sheep who doesn't know anything eles but to have a good time! It's an orange and a apple your trying to compare to be honest they may be the same body platform w.e it may be but when it comes down to it the both have Entirely different types of souls(motors) which one moves yours?
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
I'd say get what your heart tells you to? Both are great cars the 128i is the church going girl who hikes her skirt up in the weekends fr some weekend fun while the 135i is the black sheep who doesn't know anything eles but to have a good time! It's an orange and a apple your trying to compare to be honest they may be the same body platform w.e it may be but when it comes down to it the both have Entirely different types of souls(motors) which one moves yours?
well said.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Any news from the dealer as to what convertibles (128 or 135) are out there floating around in this great country in blue water metallic other than the two 135s we already saw? Depending on what is out there, it may almost make the decision for you if you really want blue water metallic.

And watch the bashing of blue water with oyster interior since that's what simian is sporting for a few more weeks. =P
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

OP you should answer this question to us...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

I searched Cars.com for all Blue Water Metallic 1 Series convertibles in the U.S. (128i or 135i, either transmission and any option config). It says there are 14, which is more than I expected. Most are automatic 128s, of course, so not much different from what you have.

And Blue Water on Oyster/Black looks good to me, but there are more Oyster highlights on a 3 than a 1 (door handles, arm rests, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Any news from the dealer as to what convertibles (128 or 135) are out there floating around in this great country in blue water metallic other than the two 135s we already saw? Depending on what is out there, it may almost make the decision for you if you really want blue water metallic.

And watch the bashing of blue water with oyster interior since that's what simian is sporting for a few more weeks. =P
I haven't heard back from my salesman yet. I'm planning on stopping by tomorrow to see what he found.

*Also in no way am I bashing the oyster/black combo interior. I'm just soo down with light blue metallic/light grey interiors. My 1988 325i is cirrus blue/silver grey leather. My 128i with the all grey interior just appeals perfect to me because it's similar to my 1st BMW in the color combo department.

In late 2011, the grey boston interior became 2-tone grey black just like the oyster/black. Next thing I realize is that grey boston is gone by 2012, and oyster is one of the new interior colors along with vermillion red paint, etc..

If I can't find or obtain a 135i vert in blue water then I'll go for a 128i again, it just has to have a moonlight top and oyster along with HK sound, Xenons, and no cold weather pkg(not a fan of the bumper headlight washers) & the stand alone alarm system and the heated seats option.

If I don't turn in my car soon....I'll stay put and wait by ordering a new one.
I've got some ideas about what I can do if blue water (according to my specs) is not available:

2013 135i vert:
Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Boston leather Moonlight top/ fineline wood trim, HK sound, alarm system, heated seats, heated steering wheel, sport seats.

2013 135i vert:
Jet Black/ Sahara Beige/ Black top, fineline wood trim,..Same as above.

2013 135i vert:
Deep sea blue metallic/moonlight top, Taupe interior, anthracite wood trim, ..same as above

2013 135i vert
or 2013 128i vert
Vermillion Red metallic/moonlight top, black boston interior, msport, HK, sound, heated seats, alarm system.

Got a lot of choices to make LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Just to add to it, you may want to also have your dealer check for any 135is convertibles in blue water in case there's one of those out there, too. Will cost you a bit more, but maybe one exists.

Why does it take the dealer so long though to check? My dealer tracked down both mineral grey 135is cars in the country in a matter of seconds.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just haven't stopped by yet. My salesman didn't call me back yet but he's probably waiting on me to stop by. I was supposed to stop by today to schedule an sppoinent for the battery cable recall but work tied me up. I'll just stop by tomorrow (I drive past my dealership everyday).

-My lease is up in Mid July. I may wait it out,,that's one of the worst case scenarios though.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Hey Uptempo,

I inadvertently came across this blue water 128 convertible and thought I'd share it with you. Looks like it's a still unsold 2012 that is blue water with savannah beige interior. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.bmwsantabarbara.com/Vehic...-CA/1801147363
Appreciate 0