BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

...IVe read enough ... unsubscribed from my own thread ...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I'm just saying...this should be a fair warning to anyone who tracks their car.

It isn't a cheap hobby. Especially if you decide to upgrade tires, wheels, suspension, brakes...etc.

Over in the "offseason" I've already bought PFC 06 full race pads, need to buy new rotors, and new tires. That alone is costing over $2,200. And this is just to be able to run on the track safely.

When you look into modifying your car, this cost increases in general wear and tear. Then you need to start rebuilding your shocks...bushings get worn out....etc

Truth hurts sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
..and you could not interpret mine ... trying to use what I have and minimize costs ...

...must be lost in translation. French is my mother tongue ...
We don't have a problem interpeting anything, it's just you don't seem to understand the principle of compromise. The thread regarding your track pads is a prime example. You wanted a dual duty pad even though one does not exist. Sure enough you buy the pad anyway, and complain that it led to decreased performance and pad deposit on your rotor causing excessive vibrations. You realized next time around you should buy a dedicated track pad - money down the drain from the Cool Carbons.

The question of wheels/tires is no different but if anything the mistake will be more costly. You posted "please provide thoughts on X" and that's exactly what you got from Kgolf and me. But if you accept the fact you are going to run a compromised setup, then say that from the get go. Create a thread "I know this sucks but is this setup do-able?" and we'll simply say Yes or No because it seems like that's what you're ultimately trying to get at. Asking questions if fine, that's what the community is here for. But making up your mind and but posting for devil's advocate sake is just wasting everyone's time (yours included). Your threads are all scream confirmation bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I'm just saying...this should be a fair warning to anyone who tracks their car.

It isn't a cheap hobby. Especially if you decide to upgrade tires, wheels, suspension, brakes...etc.

Over in the "offseason" I've already bought PFC 06 full race pads, need to buy new rotors, and new tires. That alone is costing over $2,200. And this is just to be able to run on the track safely.

When you look into modifying your car, this cost increases in general wear and tear. Then you need to start rebuilding your shocks...bushings get worn out....etc

Truth hurts sometimes.
Agreed this hobby is not cheap and to think otherwise is naive. The question is not how to make the sport affordable, rather how to eliminate unnecessary costs and you do that by learning from others. And if you're not willing to spend the next marginal dollar, then you simply need to learn to use your existing hardware, ie staggered wheels in this case. But if you want to run square, a 17x7 square setup will be no better (and may be even worse than) your current setup. That's what Kgolf and I are trying to explain to you... if you insist on running square (presumably because you want the benefit of square), then you need to go wider. It's a simple matter of fact.

But if you don't want to spend the money because you want to keep costs down like you've reiterated many times, then the answer is to keep your current staggered setup.
      11-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #26
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Lemans

Whatsup guys, some help here plz.

I have 225/40/18 in the front, 255/35/18 on the rear. The back tires are semi slick and look really nice, and they stick out a bit on the sides as if they has spacers. Well, this makes the front tires look really weak and I would like to add spacers. Ideally I guess I should add spacers to all 4 tires, but the rear tires look OK and they rub sometimes when I go over bumps with people in the car, so if its not 100% necessary to use spacers on the rear, please let me know. I definitly want for the front, so I wanted to ask which size one of the BMS ones you recommend, so that it is both safe, looks good, and doesnt rub. Please let me know, and also let me know if its OK to leave the rear tires the way they are and put spacers on the front.

Thanks and best regards!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #27
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarzelatto View Post

I have 225/40/18 in the front, 255/35/18 on the rear. The back tires are semi slick and look really nice, and they stick out a bit on the sides as if they has spacers. Well, this makes the front tires look really weak and I would like to add spacers. Ideally I guess I should add spacers to all 4 tires, but the rear tires look OK and they rub sometimes when I go over bumps with people in the car, so if its not 100% necessary to use spacers on the rear, please let me know. I definitly want for the front, so I wanted to ask which size one of the BMS ones you recommend, so that it is both safe, looks good, and doesnt rub. Please let me know, and also let me know if its OK to leave the rear tires the way they are and put spacers on the front.

Thanks and best regards!
Thread revival time!

I ended up finding a low cost second set of style 261 wheels, which allowed me to run a square 255/35/R18 setup (front and rear), on stock style 261 18x8.5 ET52 rear wheels with BMS 10 mm spacers in the front.

In order to fit that wider wheel and that rubber up front (stock is 18x7.5 ET42), I also need -3.1* of camber in the front (GC camber plates and M3 control arms).

Please specify if you are running stock style 261 front 18x7.5 wheels in the front, if you have stock suspension, and if you have stock camber. All of these will have an effect on how close to the fender you will get if you plan on using spacers to push out your front wheels.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #28
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Lemans

Reviiiiiivaaaaaal time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarzelatto View Post

Thanks and best regards!
Thread revival time!

I ended up finding a low cost second set of style 261 wheels, which allowed me to run a square 255/35/R18 setup (front and rear), on stock style 261 18x8.5 ET52 rear wheels with BMS 10 mm spacers in the front.

In order to fit that wider wheel and that rubber up front (stock is 18x7.5 ET42), I also need -3.1* of camber in the front (GC camber plates and M3 control arms).

Please specify if you are running stock style 261 front 18x7.5 wheels in the front, if you have stock suspension, and if you have stock camber. All of these will have an effect on how close to the fender you will get if you plan on using spacers to push out your front wheels.
What's up man thanks for answering. I have aaaaall bone stock, except the tires. Terry recommends me to just get 10mm spacer for the front and leave the back the way it is,as adding spacer will just make the rubbing get worse. So with everything stick except the tires which are 225 on the front, will 10 mm spacers be ok, can I go bigger, or will it rub ? Thanks mangggg revivaaaaaal time.
Appreciate 0