BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Ordered My 2013 135is Today!

Well, only took 4 dealers and one doing everything he could to wrangle up an open spot from his BMW rep to finally get my order in and be assigned a production number and build week!

I had one of the first 135s back in 2008 until someone smashed it up, so looking to finally right that wrong and get back into a 1 with the new 135is before there is no 1-series coupe anymore.

Here's what I got:
  • Mineral Grey Metallic
  • Black Leatherette
  • DCT
  • Technology Package
  • Harman Kardon Sound System
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Park Distance Control
  • and seemingly Comfort Access for free! (seems to be a hole or glitch where shows comfort access as no charge option on "is" model if you don't get the premium package)
Build date is week 10 so hopefully she'll get built soon and perhaps my new baby will be sitting next to some of your cars on a great big boat coming across the Pacific in the coming weeks. Exciting stuff and will be good to be back in a 135 after going to the dark side and driving a new S5 for the past couple of years.

Last edited by gregthegr8; 02-24-2013 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
That's got to be the most exciting feeling! Waiting for your car to be built and shipped congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Almost 5 years to the date I did it with my original 135i. Ordered that one in Feb. 2008 sight unseen and having to drive 328s and 335s to see what I thought of the engines and feels. Sorta like deja vu, only my last one had no options and this will be loaded. Really love all the lil details the "is" model adds though so will be the creme de la creme, however that's spelled.

Now comes the agony and waiting. At least I know the drill and won't freak out when I lose my boat near the Panama Canal like last time when it disappeared for 5 days.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Congrats! And I don't have the premium package, nor does my car have comfort access.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Congrats! And I don't have the premium package, nor does my car have comfort access.
Interesting. You may be the only other person who has a 135is without the premium package, which I thought wasn't really worth my $2400 since I'd actually prefer the leatherette to the leather and only thing else in the package that really appealed to me was maybe the universal garage door opener.

As for the comfort access, it's not something I would pay the $500 for as a stand alone option as I'd rather just put the key in the ignition, but ya, it's weird, if you go on the bmw build your own website, it shows as a $0 option. The dealer didn't believe me and I forced him to choose that option and sure enough, it says, "N/C." He was worried that when the car arrives they'll try to charge me for it, so we'll see.

Your car has also tortured me as it's one of the few "is" models on here that there are many pics of as I've been struggling with choosing a color. Haven't seen one in space gray in person, though a local dealer has one in space gray with the oyster interior and poorly taken pictures on their website with the dealer prep still on, so hard to gauge. Would be interesting to see a Mineral Grey next to a Space Gray though.

Hope you're thoroughly enjoying yours, would love to hear what you think, and can't wait to have my own, similar one in the next couple of months. If only I could think of a good custom license plate. My 135i had 1FA KND, but alas, it's not available in California, so may think of some witty "is" version.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Congrats buddy. Sometimes I really wish I had ordered an is just for the exclusivity of it. But it would have been a huge I convince to pick it up stateside and ship it back to Europe. The is is not delivered here.

Your is being in the minority not having premium package is like mine being in the minority for not having msport. I didn't feel enough about the car changed for the price of it. Especially sense I didn't like those wheels and I got sport seats as a standalone for 400 bucks. But I hate being like everyone else and almost every other single one has msport. So good on ya for ditching premium package and bring different. I got it because I need the auto dimming mirrors. My eyes are terrible at night nd the glare pretty much blinds me.

Again congrats on the new purchase and hopefully your order won't too long to arrive. I waited 4 months
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
eywflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is DSB 6MT 269/613

Congrats on your order! I ordered my 135is (DSB, black/blue stitch leather, 6 MT) on January 10, and it went to "in transit" status February 19. I'm the opposite of you, as I got premium, but not tech, since I didn't really care about the nav and was trying to keep it under 50K. I did want to have the ambient lighting and auto-dim mirrors and needed satellite radio. Only other significant option I got was HK. I screwed up and didn't option the alarm, by the time I asked my CA about it the car was in status 112 and it was too late to change it. Apparently the VDC or dealer cannot add the alarm later due to lack of required pre-wiring.

Going from the very basic E46 I've driven for the past 9 years to this new car will be awesome, can't wait for it to get here!

Make sure and post pics in the "135is owners - show us your cars" thread when you have 'em.
      02-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Interesting. You may be the only other person who has a 135is without the premium package, which I thought wasn't really worth my $2400 since I'd actually prefer the leatherette to the leather and only thing else in the package that really appealed to me was maybe the universal garage door opener.

As for the comfort access, it's not something I would pay the $500 for as a stand alone option as I'd rather just put the key in the ignition, but ya, it's weird, if you go on the bmw build your own website, it shows as a $0 option. The dealer didn't believe me and I forced him to choose that option and sure enough, it says, "N/C." He was worried that when the car arrives they'll try to charge me for it, so we'll see.

Your car has also tortured me as it's one of the few "is" models on here that there are many pics of as I've been struggling with choosing a color. Haven't seen one in space gray in person, though a local dealer has one in space gray with the oyster interior and poorly taken pictures on their website with the dealer prep still on, so hard to gauge. Would be interesting to see a Mineral Grey next to a Space Gray though.

Hope you're thoroughly enjoying yours, would love to hear what you think, and can't wait to have my own, similar one in the next couple of months. If only I could think of a good custom license plate. My 135i had 1FA KND, but alas, it's not available in California, so may think of some witty "is" version.
Yea, nothing in premium I wanted. I only ticked heated seats and the leather because I just couldn't wrap my head around going from the cloth in my ZHP (best interior I've ever had) to the leatherette, though I'm sure it's fine. I do know the leatherette will age a lot better.

I went with Space vs. Mineral because we had a Sparkling Graphite car in the family in the past (SG is similar to MG), and it might as well have been black to me. I saw every swirl even after normal, careful washing. I couldn't handle that, so I thought the SG was the right balance since I'd already owned a Titanium Silver car before.

I am loving the car. I don't get to stretch its legs often - only 2k miles to date. It's the right size, right power, right steering, and with the non-runflat winter tires, it's got the right suspension harshness. I'm looking into getting rid of the RFs for the spring, but that's a hefty price to get rid of brand new tires, and I'm not interested in selling them. So I'll probably suffer through.

One surprise is how loud the exhaust is. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but there are times when I want it to shut up and when I'd rather be more discreet. But on nice days with the windows down, it's just intoxicating.

It hasn't replaced my ZHP as my favorite car of all time yet, possibly because they're so different.

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eywflyer View Post
Congrats on your order! I ordered my 135is (DSB, black/blue stitch leather, 6 MT) on January 10, and it went to "in transit" status February 19. I'm the opposite of you, as I got premium, but not tech, since I didn't really care about the nav and was trying to keep it under 50K. I did want to have the ambient lighting and auto-dim mirrors and needed satellite radio. Only other significant option I got was HK. I screwed up and didn't option the alarm, by the time I asked my CA about it the car was in status 112 and it was too late to change it. Apparently the VDC or dealer cannot add the alarm later due to lack of required pre-wiring.

Going from the very basic E46 I've driven for the past 9 years to this new car will be awesome, can't wait for it to get here!

Make sure and post pics in the "135is owners - show us your cars" thread when you have 'em.
Bet you can't wait to get yours. You still can get satellite though without the premium package, right? It's just that the premium package comes with a year of prepaid. Hmm. I just wanted the garage door opener rearview mirror and liked some of the other features of the tech package, though I agree, the navigation isn't that important. I think I'm spoiled though as I have navigation and MMI stuff in my S5, so want all the fixins, but like you, needed to keep it under $50k MSRP. Mine works out to $49,250, but dealer took $4k off, so I'm quite happy.

And don't worry, I will definitely be posting pics. I posted a bunch in another thread of the mineral grey 135is with coral red interior I went and test drove a couple of weeks ago. I may not post my pics til I get a nice tint put on it first...only thing I will do to the car.

Quote:
Yea, nothing in premium I wanted. I only ticked heated seats and the leather because I just couldn't wrap my head around going from the cloth in my ZHP (best interior I've ever had) to the leatherette, though I'm sure it's fine. I do know the leatherette will age a lot better.

I went with Space vs. Mineral because we had a Sparkling Graphite car in the family in the past (SG is similar to MG), and it might as well have been black to me. I saw every swirl even after normal, careful washing. I couldn't handle that, so I thought the SG was the right balance since I'd already owned a Titanium Silver car before.
I had the leatherette in my old 135i and honestly, nobody could even tell it wasn't real leather and that stuff is pretty indestructible. I know people with BMW leather who even told me to NOT get the leather cause it tends to really wear.

I still might change to space gray before all is said and done, but I did see a mineral grey after it had rained and it held up remarkably well, whereas the carbon black 135is looked trashed. I don't know how a titanium silver 135is would look, haven't been able to find any pics and my last 135i was silver, so figured I'd go a little darker. I think the contrast though of the black mirrors and grille slats with the space gray is the best. More subtle on the mineral grey.

Can't wait to join the exclusive "is" club. I went 2 years after getting my last 135i before I saw another one on the road, and imagine mine might be the only 135is I end up seeing out there. I like that...makes it special and unique before they butcher and ruin the car making it the 235i.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Bet you can't wait to get yours. You still can get satellite though without the premium package, right? It's just that the premium package comes with a year of prepaid. Hmm. I just wanted the garage door opener rearview mirror and liked some of the other features of the tech package, though I agree, the navigation isn't that important. I think I'm spoiled though as I have navigation and MMI stuff in my S5, so want all the fixins, but like you, needed to keep it under $50k MSRP. Mine works out to $49,250, but dealer took $4k off, so I'm quite happy.

And don't worry, I will definitely be posting pics. I posted a bunch in another thread of the mineral grey 135is with coral red interior I went and test drove a couple of weeks ago. I may not post my pics til I get a nice tint put on it first...only thing I will do to the car.

I had the leatherette in my old 135i and honestly, nobody could even tell it wasn't real leather and that stuff is pretty indestructible. I know people with BMW leather who even told me to NOT get the leather cause it tends to really wear.

I still might change to space gray before all is said and done, but I did see a mineral grey after it had rained and it held up remarkably well, whereas the carbon black 135is looked trashed. I don't know how a titanium silver 135is would look, haven't been able to find any pics and my last 135i was silver, so figured I'd go a little darker. I think the contrast though of the black mirrors and grille slats with the space gray is the best. More subtle on the mineral grey.

Can't wait to join the exclusive "is" club. I went 2 years after getting my last 135i before I saw another one on the road, and imagine mine might be the only 135is I end up seeing out there. I like that...makes it special and unique before they butcher and ruin the car making it the 235i.
Titanium hides wear and dirt the best, but is also the most difficult to make really shine.

A-men on the 235i. No interest in choosing how the car drives; no interest in electric steering; no interest in fake engine noise coming from the speakers, etc...

I'm contemplating debadging. Can't imagine I'll see another -is anywhere, but you never know.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Titanium hides wear and dirt the best, but is also the most difficult to make really shine.

A-men on the 235i. No interest in choosing how the car drives; no interest in electric steering; no interest in fake engine noise coming from the speakers, etc...

I'm contemplating debadging. Can't imagine I'll see another -is anywhere, but you never know.
I agree with the titanium. There were times where I wasn't able to wash it for 2-3 weeks was somewhat embarrassed by how dirty it was and yet people would be like it looks so clean! Will see how mineral grey is. it seems to be hard to photograph and changes color so much depending on the lighting and whether in direct sun.

As for the 235i, wish I knew what it was going to look like, but having seen the redesigned 2013 M135i hatchback front, it's going to look something like that and is a travesty. I don't like what BMW is doing with the 2 and the 4 and everything just keeps getting bigger and bigger and more and more expensive. Having driven the new 3-sedan, too, I actually don't like how the new interior will look either cause it'll be perfectly symmetrical. I like the 135i asymmetry with the trim piece flowing from the passenger side over. The only things of interest on the 2 would be that it'll be offered in all-wheel drive and the new giant screens are nice, even if they look like someone smashed an ipad into the dash.

That's why I decided to just order a 135is now, even with 6 months left on my S5 lease. Don't know if there's even going to be a 2014 model as 2-series will start production in November, so who knows when the last time you could order a 135is is...no pun intended. I had one of the first 1's and I may end up with one of the last. It's an almost perfect car, so just want to get exactly what I want while I know I still can.

Is it here yet?! Oh, by the way, did you tint your windows? Haven't seen any space gray or mineral grey "is" models with a nice tint on there. I know when I tinted my old 135i with a 30% all around, it completely changed the entire look and character of the car, going from just nice looking passenger car to mean SOB.

As for debadging, I'm normally not a fan, but will say it looks weird to me to see 135is. But, I also don't want to lose the "is" badging cause they'll be so rare. Would be like those guys with 328s who debadge it to try to fool people into thinking they had a 335. So, I'm definitely not. Just wish it had the special gauges like the 335is did. But, oh well. Can't have it all.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Yes, I did a 50% tint. I'm not a fan of dark tint at all - just complementary.

With winters:

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Ordered mine too!

Glad to join this crowd. Ordered my 135is in Feb. Decided to go for the convertible just for a change. Though it costs more, I found pricing to be much more aggressive on the 'vert (significantly below invoice). The coupes are tougher to find or trade for. I know....it all depends on allocations and what's out there for the taking on the day you decide to order.

Here's how I spec'd it:
* 300 Alpine white
* LWSW Black Boston leather
* ZPP Premium package
* 302 Anti-theft alarm
* 494 Heated front seats
* ZMT Manual transmission (a MUST!)

Some great color choices to agonize over, but my last two BMWs have been gray. The Alpine white reminded me of my '94 and '99 E36 M3s, which were both AW, looked great and were easy to care for.

I wanted the HK sound, but they really screw you if you don't order Navigation. Without nav, to get HK sound you have to order both 688 HK sound ($875) AND 639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth ($650). I don't think anyone can convince me that HK sound is worth $1,525... May have to at least do a speaker upgrade, or just leave the stereo off and listen to the exhaust.

Build date is Week #11 -- so I'm right behind gregthegr8. Should hit Status 150 by this week. Now it's hurry up and wait.....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, gregthegr8, re the comfort access as a standalone option: I confirmed the same thing when trying to decide whether to add Premium pkg or not. BMW does not automatically include comfort access if you don't order premium pkg, but if your CA selects comfort access it will be added as a no cost option. Strange, but sweet deal. You should not worry about being charged when yours comes in.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Welcome to the elite "is" club!

A friend of mine noticed that HK + BMW Assist issue on the website and he was complaining about it cause he was building one for himself potentially and didn't want the BMW assist. I had the same issue and figured if they are going to force your hand that way, I might as well just pay for the tech package that includes the bluetooth.

Anyways, they just pushed me to week 11 it seems, so we'll have to watch to see when ours get built as they likely will end up on the same boat together.

And to wet your appetite, here's a high def video of an AW 135is convertible from the LA Auto Show:

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Oh great, thanks for adding to my pain and making me watch a video of my car!

It will be interesting to see how close ours end up together, all the way through PCD in Port Hueneme and to our dealers. Will it be days apart...or weeks?

Best of luck in your wait too!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Doing what I can to help. Sadly, there's hardly any pictures or anything out there of a 135is in mineral grey, so at least you have something to look at. Or maybe that was just to help you in case you were debating about the black leather with blue stitching and wanted to see how it looked on AW.

If our cars end up on the same boat, I'll probably get it maybe only a day or two before you? I just have to stop calling the 1-800 number every morning and night to see when I get the confirmed production date. When my order was placed on Feb. 19, it said week 10, but on Thursday, my salesman said it was saying week 11. Perhaps it literally is just a 2-3 day difference? Either way, the wait is unnerving.

Thanks for the heads up on the comfort access too. No clue what the deal is, but I will surely take it for free. If you didn't get the premium package, I'd have told you the sneaky thing for you to do then would be to get the HK system, angrily accept the BMW assist, but consider the free comfort access (normally like $500) a nice offset against the forced BMW assist. hehe.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also - I confirmed with my CA and the ordering guide that the 135is comes standard with "6NN Hands-free Bluetooth", so I'm not sure what you would really get for that extra $650 other than BMW Assist. Just trying to force us to buy Nav, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've avoided calling the 800 number yet, because I know that once I start....

For what its worth, a local Bay Area dealer had a Mineral Gray 135is convertible that I drove - and it has been there a couple of months now. The color looks awesome, and I seriously considered it. You should be able to watch the video and see pictures of it here (though it is much nicer in outside lighting):

http://www.stevenscreekbmw.com/new/B...1fc5c4f5c5.htm

Hope that helps your wait!

Last edited by Kouper; 03-02-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Thanks, I'll take all the mineral grey pics I can get. I was lucky to at least find one in that color to see in person and test drive last month, albeit with red interior, but it was a bit dirty and I wasn't 100% sold. Only like 90%.

Also glad to hear you didn't go to Mountain View BMW, cause I went there back in August cause they had a 135is in stock, and took me 10 minutes to convince the sales guy a 135is even EXISTED. He kept saying, I'm sorry sir, you must be confusing it with a 335is, they are different cars. I said, you have one...in stock, here's the stock number, can you please find it? 20 minutes later, he never could find it and I gave up and left.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'll take all the mineral grey pics I can get. I was lucky to at least find one in that color to see in person and test drive last month, albeit with red interior, but it was a bit dirty and I wasn't 100% sold. Only like 90%.

Also glad to hear you didn't go to Mountain View BMW, cause I went there back in August cause they had a 135is in stock, and took me 10 minutes to convince the sales guy a 135is even EXISTED. He kept saying, I'm sorry sir, you must be confusing it with a 335is, they are different cars. I said, you have one...in stock, here's the stock number, can you please find it? 20 minutes later, he never could find it and I gave up and left.
This might be because the 135is is really only called a 135is on the BMW website and on the back of the car. The VIN = 135i. In BMW's database when you bring it in for service = 135i. When you register the VIN for insurance = 135i. So he probably just didn't realize the difference, and I'm not sure I could blame him since it really doesn't show.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #22
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
This might be because the 135is is really only called a 135is on the BMW website and on the back of the car. The VIN = 135i. In BMW's database when you bring it in for service = 135i. When you register the VIN for insurance = 135i. So he probably just didn't realize the difference, and I'm not sure I could blame him since it really doesn't show.
I guess that would make sense as the "is" parts aren't even installed at the factory they are installed at the port. Essentially they all leave the motherland as 135i then get the is stuff stateside. Which is why I couldn't get one in Europe
Appreciate 0