BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Anyone Have the Dealer Install Non-Runflats Prior to Delivery?

I was just curious if anybody here has had the dealer install non-runflats prior to taking delivery of their new car as I haven't heard of anyone having that done before. Also, if anybody did, did the dealer give them some kind of credit for the OEM runflats which are more expensive than the Michelin Pilot SS and Continental ExtremeContacts?

I haven't broached the subject with my dealer yet, so seeing what others have experienced in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

I'm interested to know also (great minds think alike...).

I suspect BMW would have an issue with the dealer delivering a brand new car without runflats. I don't know that to be the case, but it would not surprise me if a dealer said he couldn't do it because of his franchise agreement with BMW.

Hope there are other precedent setters out there who can share their experiences.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

I told Greg about my experience privately a while back, but for the record: my dealer, who has been great in every other way, told me they really don't like to swap run flats for regular tires. Apparently they did that for a buyer a while back who had some issues and threatened them with legal action. Who knows about all that noise, but they said they'd need to get approval from dealership management and I'd have to sign a waiver. It wasn't worth the hassle, so I found HP Autowerks and they're handling everything. FWIW, the dealer was going to offer me a turn-in credit for my OEM wheels and tires, but only if I purchased other BMW wheels and run flats.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

I believe my dealer told me they would swtich out the run flats prior to delivery of the car.
So if you don't want them I wouldn't hurt to ask them to switch. Worst that can happen is they say no.
      04-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Thanks. I'm going to be asking him today to see what my options are. Just not sure if they won't want to due to liability concerns and/or since it's a lease. Guess I'll find out and let everyone know.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Aaaand, my dealer said no, saying they can't/wont because they aren't allowed by BMW to get involved in modifying factory specs. Figured they'd say no, but was worth a shot and I shall plan accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
PFol310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i en route

Not sure if your leasing or not but I was thinking of taking the RFT's off and buying my own tires and at end of lease putting the RFT's back on.

Seems like either way after 3 years your gunna possibly need new tires for turn in?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I am leasing, but will probably try to buy at the end though not sure. I just don't have the ability really to store the tires for 3 years and coming off 2 wrist surgeries, doubt I can or should even attempt to lift 1.

So, goal will be either to find a good shop that will take the runflats and give me credit towards the purchase of the michelin pilot super sports or sell them on here/ebay/craigslist.

Simian also suggested a good place in Gardena that sells used tires with typically 6/32 of tread left on them for cheap to put on cars for lease returns. Gonna call around, see, maybe post them on here, or may drive for a week or so and figure it out as I don't imagine any potential amount of money I get will be affected if the tires have 2 miles on them vs 100 since either way they won't be new.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
PFol310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i en route

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8
I am leasing, but will probably try to buy at the end though not sure. I just don't have the ability really to store the tires for 3 years and coming off 2 wrist surgeries, doubt I can or should even attempt to lift 1.

So, goal will be either to find a good shop that will take the runflats and give me credit towards the purchase of the michelin pilot super sports or sell them on here/ebay/craigslist.

Simian also suggested a good place in Gardena that sells used tires with typically 6/32 of tread left on them for cheap to put on cars for lease returns. Gonna call around, see, maybe post them on here, or may drive for a week or so and figure it out as I don't imagine any potential amount of money I get will be affected if the tires have 2 miles on them vs 100 since either way they won't be new.
What area are you in?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFol310 View Post
Not sure if your leasing or not but I was thinking of taking the RFT's off and buying my own tires and at end of lease putting the RFT's back on.

Seems like either way after 3 years your gunna possibly need new tires for turn in?
If you're absolutely sure you're going to do a lease return after 3 years, I think this is a smart move. Given the poor treadwear rating on the OEM runflats and the power of the 135is, you will almost certainly need to replace the tires somewhere toward the end of the 3 year period anyhow. The rears for sure, and probably the fronts too if you have any fun at all.

You have to have a good place to store the tires, of course, to make sure they stay in good shape. All in all, it's kind of a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0