BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #45
Ser1es
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Mine was only $30k and has been flawless so far. Brilliant little car, IMO.
So what I think we should all take away from this is, the less you pay for your 135 the better it will work.
      10-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #46
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser1es View Post
So what I think we should all take away from this is, the less you pay for your 135 the better it will work.

That is about $42K in US $$
      10-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #47
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
No, I was quoting USD, but I'm driving a 128i not a 135i. Obviously not a fair comparo, but my point was that I've not been let down by BMW reliability yet. And perhaps the lower cost of entry leads to more realistic expectations?

A lot of the quality complaints should apply to both cars, though, as most are not engine related (HPFP is the obvious exception).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #48
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

Glad to see most people got the point I was attempting to make. I also agree that it is all about expectations and anyone who has bought and sold more then just one european brand car knows that price has little to do with outright reliability. My 135 is not my first german or premium brand car if you choose to look at it from that point of view that I have owned. It cost me 56K CDN which is pretty close to 54K US with the dollar being so close lately and I knew exactly what I was getting for that money. So far mines been great, however things like the window issue I discount as problems cause I have yet to own one of these cars that doesnt suffer some sort of electrical glitch. I am the only BMW owner in a family of Benz and Jag. loyalists and all of those cars have issues now and then and almost every one of them ran into the six figure price range when new. (Except for my dad's old 92 SEL 500 which seems to be built like a tank and never goes wrong.) I was judged harshly when I traded in my Merc on the 1st BMW I bought, but they have been great cars overall. My 128 I had a few years ago was my daily driver and without getting all Canadian on you guys....it sat outside all winter and got me back and forth to work everyday with no problems at all, even during the -40 degree nights and days. To me any car that can handle one of our stupidly cold and long winters with no block heater or heated garage is pretty damn good in my book. I have never regretted choosing a BMW as my ride and I would have no problem buying another one. In fact, when the GF's Jeep is ready to be replaced in about a year, an X5 will probably be its replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #49
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6r View Post
..it sat outside all winter and got me back and forth to work everyday with no problems at all, even during the -40 degree nights and days. To me any car that can handle one of our stupidly cold and long winters with no block heater or heated garage is pretty damn good in my book.
lol, I love canadian winters!!! This is why almost every one of my cars has an Optima battery installed.... it cranks less times, and barely stutters compared to other batteries in the winter.

Don't think the 135 will see the winter though, unless i have a really nice day. Time will tell, and we'll see what my will power has to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #50
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
lol, I love canadian winters!!! This is why almost every one of my cars has an Optima battery installed.... it cranks less times, and barely stutters compared to other batteries in the winter.

Don't think the 135 will see the winter though, unless i have a really nice day. Time will tell, and we'll see what my will power has to say about it.
Very true. I don't plan to drive the 135 much this winter either. I now have a garage, so i'll probably just let it sit hooked to the battery tender. Save it from the salt and rock chips also.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #51
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
what was the problem with your windows???
Every time I would put them up they would hit the top and go right back down... It must have taken 3 or 4 trips to the dealership to get it right...

The first time it did it a insane monsoon can blowing though and I had to pull over because the windows would not stay up....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #52
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Probably the window regulator, I had both rear window regulators fail at separate times in my E90, taken care of under warranty and they said it's not an uncommon problem.

My perception is some of you think this is a "$40k car" as if that was some huge amount of money but the reality is these cars would ideally cost more. The German brands have to cut quality a little in order to compete with the prices of Japanese cars in this segment (who also can't afford to make the car 100% reliable).

Would people pay, let's say, $50,000 for a 135i that had every part sourced from the best possible supplier and which rarely had any problems at all? Those who could afford it would but a lot of people wouldn't so car companies have no choice but to make their cars cheaply. Deal with it.
I know what you mean but if they were the best possible parts u would think everything would work... And trust me BMW is most likely like Benz when it comes to money and the profit on the cars are INSANE...(Maybe not as high on the 1) I saw the episode of TOP GEAR with the CLS AMG and they talked about cutting conners...

I had a BMW service person lean over the counter and whisper to me "You pay all of this money for the logo"... I was thinking great... This was after 2 months of owning the car and having 2 loaners...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #53
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

$49,000

That's what my "loaded" 135 cost. The 0.9% financing helped. If I wanted another 3 coupe I could have gotten it for that price. I WANTED a 135. Except for the light grey interior, which everyone loves the look of but gets dirty quickly, and the small armrest (this is the first car that I did not order) I love everything about this car.