BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Scoobs
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i Space Grey DCT

Paint Protection = Paint Damage

Hi Guys, thought I would share my recent experience with a paint protection company to spare you the same fate.

Last week, I dropped my 4 day old 135i into a paint protection company in Brookvale (Universal Shield) to have some 3M film applied to prevent / limit stone chips.

Whilst I have no problem with the quality of the work / 3M product applied, imagine how gutted I was to notice a 2 inch scratch to the rear quarter when looking at the car the very next morning.

I can guarantee you that the scratch was not there when I dropped off my car to have the work done.

Shame on me for not noticing it when I collected the car.

The challenge was that I collected it at 3:30PM Wednesday afternoon. That afternoon it was absolutely bucketing down in Sydney, and there were very black clouds overhead. They won’t allow you into the work shop to inspect the car (supposedly due to OH & S issues), meaning that you have to inspect it on the driveway.

So, of course, in those conditions – in fading light – it is almost impossible to spot.

Of course the irony is not lost on me…. Book the car in to get paint protection – and walk away with paint damage…

And of course the workshop denied any responsibility when I took it back.

I was concerned the moment I arrived at this workshop as it looked small, busy and cramped.

There are plenty of other companies that offer this same product. If you are thinking about getting this product – think carefully about whom you choose.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Sorry to hear about your incident mate! Really not good to hear!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about this.

More and more I am seeing this as typical. Whether its a small family business or a large multi franchise garage its the same. There is no accountability whatsoever.

I make a point of making the person taking my car to walk around it with me and to mark off any blemishes if any.

Also, once the car is taken off their premises theyve basically washed their hands of you.

The only garage I trust is my local BMW dealer. They have pulled through for me in the past, taking my word for it and not even requesting to inspect the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Scoobs
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i Space Grey DCT

Yeah - I typcally do the same (walk around) - but with the really bad weather / light - and water on the duco - you just couldn't spot it.

Lesson learnt !!

I hate leaving my cars with anyone these days....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Dude I'd be gutted myself, as I expect you were.

Is it worth a claim on insurance?
Appreciate 0