BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #45
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Doubt the gains would be more than what BMW market them as.
If they would market the car as having less power than it does, why is it hard to imagine that they would do the same with the tune? Maybe they like the numbers heavily padded, to ensure that everyone gets what was advertised, regardless of differences from engine to engine, declines in performance over time, whatever. Maybe they don't want to get too close (on paper) to the 1M.
      09-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #46
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I'm curious schaefer, does the turbo sound noisier with the tune??

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
I have driven an N54-based 335i 6MT Coupe, albeit briefly. You are correct, in that there is inherently less turbo lag in the N55, and it is quite noticeable. It is difficult (for me at least) to separate throttle response from turbo lag, but what I have paid attention to since the PPK install is the crispness / quickness and urgency of the engine response to subtle changes in throttle has clearly improved.
Good to know.

It sounds like the throttle response has improved.
Having the engine respond, quicker/crisper, indicates that response has improved.

My test, to minimize any turbo "lag" effect, is to be in 2nd or 3rd depending on safe road speed, keep the throttle positive while the engine is around 4k rpm. Don't let up on the throttle, keep slight positive pressure, then floor it. Does the engine respond quickly with no hesitation? And, how quickly it responds.
So, it's hard to directly compare as you have to use memory cause you can't switch tunes on the fly.

In my 135i, this test yields nearly a "1" count for the engine to fully respond, and when it does the power comes on in a 2 stage feel.
After the 1 count, power jumps, then jumps full on.
It sucks. It wasn't like that before.

The other aspect is response during cornering, when subtle throttle changes are needed to keep power on in relation to grip to make the turn. Here you may need to make subtle throttle input to keep the power more one or a bit less to keep the rear end in line.
That's where throttle response is really needed the most.
Too much delay, not enough control. You may then apply too much throttle only to find the power come on all of sudden.
That's a lack of response. Or, bad a driver.

Thanks again for your input.
If the same holds true for N54 engines, I may get this just to bring throttle response back, and hopefully make it better than before that accursed software update.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #48
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Not as susceptible doesn't mean the effect doesn't exist.
My original point stands: free flow exhausts have negative effect on low end torque.
Most people don't redline their engines. Even if they do, it's a fraction of a second. Most of the time, low end torque is more important, especially for city driving.
Low end torque is better for city stop and thrust driving.
But it's not necessarily always such a good thing.
Too much low rpm torque and you can't hook up traction anyway to even get you into traffic, which is what most people think they wanted in the first place.

Decent low rpm torque with big mid rpm torque and big high rpm torque is better for enthusiast driving on twisty roads, imo.

The best thing these direct injected, quick spool, small turbo engines have is very low turbo lag, not necessarily the big torque available at low rpm. I'd gladly sacrifice 25% of the low rpm torque so that I could have it in the middle and/or higher up, where it's easier and more rewarding to control throttle input.
Anyone can slam the loud pedal and go fast in a straight line.
When you want to have fun on twisty roads, controlling the engines power in relation to needed grip is what is most fun to me.
That's where you want the power, response, and control.

Sorry, I kinda went on a tangent.
Back to your discussion about freer flowing exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #49
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
If they would market the car as having less power than it does, why is it hard to imagine that they would do the same with the tune? Maybe they like the numbers heavily padded, to ensure that everyone gets what was advertised, regardless of differences from engine to engine, declines in performance over time, whatever. Maybe they don't want to get too close (on paper) to the 1M.
Dyno's of this tune will be very much appreciated.

I wonder about this 17lb ft for MT and 32lb ft for auto.
Why would they bother making it different?
Then, they also have to make a different tune for the N55, and it too has the same increase in power numbers as well.

Most of the increase will be with boost pressure, so it would be more complicated to try and limit torque with MT applications if the boost is already there.
Given that HP numbers are the same, and HP is derived from torque anyway, I don't see why BMW bothered with trying to limit the torque while also gaining the same HP as the slushbox.

The limited number of reviews (OP here) thus far indicate a very noticeable gain in torque, it's likely that torque increase is the same for MT and auto. The OP says the torque increase is very noticeable.
Thinking more on the OPs comments, I wonder if some of the added power feeling might also be due to changes in throttle response?
If you quicken response off idle, there will be a feeling of more power.
Couple that with the torque and the overall feel is that there is more than the stated number.

Why then the different number claim then?
I don't know.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-23-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #50
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaC-N54-E82 View Post
Your own source, Wiki, contridicts your statement and you follow it up with your opinion. Solid!
Show me the "contridiction", whatever that means.

I just had a txt "conversation" with my 16 yo nephew.
It appears logic and reading comprehension aren't well developed yet at that age. Mix that with total disregard for grammar and punctuation, and throw in some abbreviations... OMG. WTF. :wow:
I will retreat, for the sake of everybody's sanity.
There's an old saying... play with babies and you get pissed on.

Last edited by MPBK; 09-24-2011 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #51
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Dyno's of this tune will be very much appreciated.

I wonder about this 17lb ft for MT and 32lb ft for auto.
Why would they bother making it different?
Then, they also have to make a different tune for the N55, and it too has the same increase in power numbers as well.

Most of the increase will be with boost pressure, so it would be more complicated to try and limit torque with MT applications if the boost is already there.
Given that HP numbers are the same, and HP is derived from torque anyway, I don't see why BMW bothered with trying to limit the torque while also gaining the same HP as the slushbox.

The limited number of reviews (OP here) thus far indicate a very noticeable gain in torque, it's likely that torque increase is the same for MT and auto. The OP says the torque increase is very noticeable.
Thinking more on the OPs comments, I wonder if some of the added power feeling might also be due to changes in throttle response?
If you quicken response off idle, there will be a feeling of more power.
Couple that with the torque and the overall feel is that there is more than the stated number.

Why then the different number claim then?
I don't know.
BMW has a history of quoting conversative power numbers. Much safer to quote low numbers than artificially high numbers and be called out for it.

Clearly the N54 and N55 tunes from this kit will be different - they are entirely different engines. The final power outputs will certainly be different as well.

I think we are seeing big company marketing in play here. Who knows why, but they are being intentionally vague on the details of what this sofware change actually affects. Some marketing team decided it was safer to keep it nebulous.

For me, I don't really care about the EXACT numbers. My car is almost new, and I was not about to put an aftermarket tune on it. Don't want the hassle, don't have the time or energy to mess with it, and if something went wrong I wanted the ability to go to the dealer and say 'fix it'. I don't quite understand why some are trying to use the argument that $700-800 for a 20hp gain is not a good ROI versus the aftermarket. First, I think the gain is more than that (again, BMW's conservative numbers), and second, when has an OEM upgrade been less money? That's the reason the aftermarket survives, but there is always a tradeoff.

All I know is that for $730.00, my near new car has been uncorked and is simply better and more fun to drive. Great ROI for me.

If I were in BMW Marketing, I would make this part of the M Sport package and charge a few more bucks accordingly. Throw in BMW Performance Suspension, non-RFT 225/255 tires, and call it M Sport Stage 2. Make it easy for the guy who comes in for a 1M to still buy a car, and the fact that the DCT is available would close a few more deals too.

Last edited by blschaefer1; 09-24-2011 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #52
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
BMW has a history of quoting conversative power numbers. Much safer to quote low numbers than artificially high numbers and be called out for it.

Clearly the N54 and N55 tunes from this kit will be different - they are entirely different engines. The final power outputs will certainly be different as well.

I think we are seeing big company marketing in play here. Who knows why, but they are being intentionally vague on the details of what this sofware change actually affects. Some marketing team decided it was safer to keep it nebulous.

For me, I don't really care about the EXACT numbers. My car is almost new, and I was not about to put an aftermarket tune on it. Don't want the hassle, don't have the time or energy to mess with it, and if something went wrong I wanted the ability to go to the dealer and say 'fix it'. I don't quite understand why some are trying to use the argument that $700-800 for a 20hp gain is not a good ROI versus the aftermarket. First, I think the gain is more than that (again, BMW's conservative numbers), and second, when has an OEM upgrade been less money? That's the reason the aftermarket survives, but there is always a tradeoff.

All I know is that for $730.00, my near new car has been uncorked and is simply better and more fun to drive. Great ROI for me.

If I were in BMW Marketing, I would make this part of the M Sport package and charge a few more bucks accordingly. Throw in BMW Performance Suspension, non-RFT 225/255 tires, and call it M Sport Stage 2. Make it easy for the guy who comes in for a 1M to still buy a car, and the fact that the DCT is available would close a few more deals too.
Being on this forum for over 2 years I can think I can offer why some, me included, think this is too expensive.
A big part of the problem is the claimed HP/torque increase numbers.
They are modest at best.
20hp/17lb ft, for the MT really isn't that much increase.

For less than half of that you can get a JB+ that is easily installed within 20 minutes, and you get much more power than what BMW claims.
I've driven a JB+ 135i and the difference is very noticeable.
Along with that tune there have been no problems. It's a solid improvement.
From that perspective it makes sense that some of us question the ROI for this tune.

The argument that this tune is factory backed and warranted is a decided plus for this tune, no question.
I can understand why someone would want this tune if they don't want to risk what could happen with an after market tune.

Given your positive experience it seems the numbers advertised are much lower than what you feel.
If the dyno's back this up, then that could sway nay sayers to this tune.
I know I'm interested, but only once we see some dyno's.
For me it would be not just for the added power, but also for the added throttle response. If I keep my 135i $700 for the power you experience and the sharper throttle, plus the warranty, that would sway me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #53
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaC-N54-E82 View Post
Your own source, Wiki, contridicts your statement and you follow it up with your opinion. Solid!
Show me the "contridiction", whatever that means.

I just had a txt "conversation" with my 16 yo nephew.
It appears logic and reading comprehension aren't well developed yet at that age. Mix that with total disregard for grammar and punctuation, and throw in some abbreviations... OMG. WTF. :wow:
I will retreat, for the sake of everybody's sanity.
There's an old saying... play with babies and you get pissed on.
Back to my point, an exhaust helps top end HP with little or no impact to low end torque in a forced induction car. Get pissy if you want but it does not change facts. I'm done here.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #54
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Foot on gas pedal-wait-wait-YAHOOOOOoooooo

Quote:
Hi all,

This is a mini review of the BMW Performance Power Kit, Stage 1. I had this kit installed today on my 2012 (N55) 135i M Sport with DCT.

This is the software only version of the PPK. Special pricing is now available on this kit until year end, MSRP now $599.00. The part number for my car was 11 12 2219 489. The kit is really just a software update, and a BMW Performance Power Kit sticker that is applied under the hood. Also, there are ‘warning’ stickers that get applied in various places under the hood to alert technicians to the existence of the kit so they don’t accidentally overwrite it or something during service.

I was in and out of the dealership in about two hours today. The car was hooked up to the ISIS computer almost the whole time. No issues whatsoever though. My dealer gave me a deal on the kit, total price out the door including installation and tax was $728.36.

I obviously only have limited time in the car since the upgrade was performed, but early ‘seat of the pants’ impressions are that it certainly feels like more than a 20hp / 17ft. lb. gain. Throttle response is much improved, and not there was a turbo lag issue before, but now there is literally none. Part of this could be placebo effect having just shelled out the $$$, but I don’t think so. The car feels much more responsive, particularly in Sport and S modes. I also think the new software re-mapped the shift logic in the DCT, gears seem to be held a little longer, and shifts are quicker and crisper. Idle seems a little lumpier perhaps. Also, noticed that oil temperature has increased about 5-10 degrees, no biggie, just an observation. Feels great.

I will report back if I have additional insights. Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade. Money well spent in my book, and having full BMW warranty support is good peace of mind.

Update 9/22/11

Having spend more time in the car, the difference in midrange pull is SUBSTANTIAL. Certainly feels like much more than 17 lb ft gain in torque. Would love to see before and after dyno graphs. I would say BMW's figures are very conservative indeed. Waste gate is working harder, presumably from increased boost. I notice no difference in exhaust note. I think the 'burble' people are referring to is supposed to occur in overrun situations, and I have not faced that yet. For daily driving, no difference.
Can you please confirm if the dreaded throttle lag from stop or after removing your foot from the gas momentarily is in any way improved? That would motivate me to by this upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #55
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
Can you please confirm if the dreaded throttle lag from stop or after removing your foot from the gas momentarily is in any way improved? That would motivate me to by this upgrade.
I never had much of an issue with this. I typically engage Sport mode as soon as I get in the car, and I don't get much delay or lag when pulling from a stop. I do notice a very slight delay when not in Sport, but nothing that I consider problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #56
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Quote:
I do notice a very slight delay when not in Sport
I would hope so. That's one of the three functions of the Sport button, to reduce throttle lag (see Driving Dynamics Control, manual page 65), so taking out the lag in the non-Sport modes would eliminate a deliberately-programmed function of the car. People complain about it, but it's there for a reason. Makes the car feel less twitchy in traffic, etc.
      09-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #57
MLemansDCT
Rep
Drives: E88 Lemans Blue

Thanks for the review. Makes me want to do it even more.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #58
bwawuz02
Long Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Doubt the gains would be more than what BMW market them as. It would have been worth it if it was 40HP increase instead of 14HP, but then that would compete with the 1M.
Only counting for HP numbers when comparing the 1M to a 135i is a travesty, they have the SAME engine. The M is all about upgraded suspension/handling, it is a pure driver's car; which is why it only comes with a 6MT.

BMW also knows there is a market of people willing to drop the cash on more HP. No HP loving BMW engineer, or the approval committee, would waste time on a power package that didn't deliver; fear of bad press is enough to prevent that.

Speculations can be fun...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #59
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FYI, I have noticed that there is less exhaust 'snarl' at cold startup than before the PPK software was installed.

Still loving the increased power / torque !! No way it is just 17 ft lbs. !
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #60
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
FYI, I have noticed that there is less exhaust 'snarl' at cold startup than before the PPK software was installed.
thats my favorite part of my day... esp because i park in a parking garage which makes it REALLY loud
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #61
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Good to know.

In my 135i, this test yields nearly a "1" count for the engine to fully respond, and when it does the power comes on in a 2 stage feel.
After the 1 count, power jumps, then jumps full on.
It sucks. It wasn't like that before.

The other aspect is response during cornering, when subtle throttle changes are needed to keep power on in relation to grip to make the turn. Here you may need to make subtle throttle input to keep the power more one or a bit less to keep the rear end in line.
That's where throttle response is really needed the most.
Too much delay, not enough control. You may then apply too much throttle only to find the power come on all of sudden.
That's a lack of response. Or, bad a driver.
This Is what I am talking about. Other than the RFTs it is the thing that robs the driving fun from the car. A coNfirmed fix for this would make this ref lash worth every dime.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #62
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe MT, N55, PPK

I'm getting the Stage 1 PPK installed in my car on Wednesday. I'll be glad to post my thoughts & impressions for those who would like a 2nd perspective. Sorry to disappoint though, but I won't be dynoing my car. Like many of you I'd love to see a before & after.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #63
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzydnc View Post
I'm getting the Stage 1 PPK installed in my car on Wednesday. I'll be glad to post my thoughts & impressions for those who would like a 2nd perspective. Sorry to disappoint though, but I won't be dynoing my car. Like many of you I'd love to see a before & after.
Post your review.
How much installed?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #64
sardius
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
      10-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #65
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe MT, N55, PPK

Quote:
Post your review.
How much installed?
I forget the exact price they quoted me for the installation, partly b/c the total price also included a hand wash & wax I'm calling them tomorrow though to get the exact numbers, so I'll update the thread then.

Edit: PS my car has the 6M transmission
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #66
sardius
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Edit: PS my car has the 6M transmission