BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #67
Robmaster
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2010 E82 135, 2005 E87 130i

what's the offset of the VMR wheels??
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #68
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
ET40 front and ET45 rear if I don't do any mistake

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 05:52 AM   #69
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Update !

Such a long time I didn't update my thread ... Some new mods took place on my car. I will review it after this weekend because I will track it on my local circuit.

Since last time I posted something here, I did some work on the big baby. First, the 1M strut brace. I had to select this one to have a full access to the rebound settings and the camber (I have camber plates). They are very OEM like, hide the top of the dampers, they are perfect IMO.

Then I updated my car with some LCI rear lights (the front LCI Xenon will come in August I think).

Unmounting:

Comparison:

I wanted to update seriously my brakes. First, I looked to the direction of the 335d brakes, then to the BMW Performance 6 pots kit and finally, thanks to an opportunity, I decided to go to the F2x M135i 4 pots Brembo brakes. I took them with Endless MX72 brake pads. I put some new RBF600 in the circuit. I previously had reinforced brake lines.

Now, I have some serious stuff to brake ... For the moment, on the street, I didn't feel any fadding. The sensation when I brake hard is incredible! I have a lot of power with these calipers. The initial bite of the pads is not extraordinary but when you push harder the brake pedal, they stop the car instantanelly ! Great upgrade and 100% plug'n'play.

Now, I will have to look to the rear part of the brakes. As they are not that used, I will go to the upgrade of the existing rotors and pads route: ECS Geomet in 300x20 and some Pagid RS29. Sur the combo will satisfy me.

I have to test it now on the track

I decided to updrage one of the last part of my chassis: the suspension bump stops. I had a really good review of them of a friend of mine.

Nice little Powerflex box

The two bushings are identical in form, this is the inferior part which goes in the rear arches.

The OEM bush bend with low pression

Here, impossible: your finger is bending

In fact, that's a really good mod: good bang for the bucks. Really simple to do. You feel the rear of the car very planted, a better communication toward the bumper and the structure of the car. Now you have a correct link between both of them!

As I'm a bit mad, I decided to buy some good tires and wheels for my track session: I don't want to destroy my street tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) which will loose their grip after 40 minutes of tracking the car!
I wanted to have lighter rims than I had (VMR are even lighter than the OEM ones). I did not have many solutions: Breyton which are very fragile, OZ Ultraleggera which are very expensive or Apex ARC-8 wheels which are expensive too. I wanted to go with the last set, but finally, a friend of mine had some OZ Ultraleggera he was not using. I bought them and put some Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 on them.
I should gain something like 2~3kg per wheel which is quite enormous in term of unsprung weight. I will review all this stuff at the end of the week.

Now, I think I have a really good toy to play on the back roads and the tracks. As things are never enough for me, I'm planning other mods like: finishing the chassis, rear brakes upgrade, lightening the car, more hp, etc ...

A friend of mine who has a 135i tested my car near the Dijon-Prenois track in France. He has some v3, H&R antiroll bars, Quaife, map, M subframe bushings and so one ... He said my car had the same feeling and reaction as his car (except the Quaife LSD of course). It is nicelly balanced, incredibely planted (impossible to drift even with fast driving), brakes were very powerfull, etc ...

And I was almost forgetting to post some pics of the car stance right now:

With the phone:

Here, you can observe some blue accents in the front rims, which are in fact the F2x M135i brakes:

Feel free to comment ! And keep tuned ...

Fidiman

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #70
TWMPerformance
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Looks fantastic!

- Renato
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #71
Fes128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i M Sport

Greetings from the USA!

You are a big inspiration because I have the same color car as you but it's a 128i.

Your car is amazing!

Keep posting updates!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #72
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
Such a long time I didn't update my thread ... Some new mods took place on my car. I will review it after this weekend because I will track it on my local circuit.

Awesome build! Keep it up!!!

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #73
TWMPerformance
Banned
Rep

Fitment and ride height is #1

- Renato
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #74
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
... First, the 1M strut brace. I had to select this one to have a full access to the rebound settings and the camber (I have camber plates). They are very OEM like, hide the top of the dampers, they are perfect IMO.
Very nice upgrade. Im thinking about doing the 1M strut top and the M3/1M cowl modifications, to gain easy access easy to the back of the N55 motor (coilpacks, spark plugs #4-5-6).

Quote:
... decided to go to the F2x M135i 4 pots Brembo brakes. I took them with Endless MX72 brake pads. I put some new RBF600 in the circuit. I previously had reinforced brake lines.
Does this mean that the E8x chassis can accept F8x M235i calipers front and back as well? I wonder how these brakes would compare to my BMW 135i stock Brembos (6-piston fronts and 2-piston rears). After three years of tracking my E82/135i, piston tops are chipped, and dust boots have disintegrated. Im due for a front caliper rebuild. Ive been debating on whether I should do the RB stainless steel pistons swap and RB high temp blue dust boots, versus upgrading to an aftermarket BBK. I would certainly consider M235i calipers from a scrap/salvage yard as a replacement, if they fit, and they tolerate heat better than my stock 135i calipers...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 08-21-2015 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 03:42 AM   #75
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

excellent, let us know how you get on with the Cup2s, looking at those next time round
      08-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #76
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMPerformance View Post
Looks fantastic!

- Renato
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMPerformance View Post
Fitment and ride height is #1

- Renato
Thanks Renato One of my friends advised me to go slightly lower, in order to have a better feeling on the track and lower the center of gravity, but I might have problems to ride it then ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fes128 View Post
Greetings from the USA!

You are a big inspiration because I have the same color car as you but it's a 128i.

Your car is amazing!

Keep posting updates!

Cheers.
Thanks Fes128 ! At the beginning, I was taking inspiration here in 1Addicts, but the, I decided to do my own build without any help. Finally, I'm going in the direction of a unique project which is going very well on the track (details after).
Speaking about updates, there will be more in a few weeks or months

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Awesome build! Keep it up!!!
Thanks mate I wanted to sell it a few wekks ago ... But this thing is such appealing, that I simply cannot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Very nice upgrade. Im thinking about doing the 1M strut top and the M3/1M cowl modifications, to gain easy access easy to the back of the N55 motor (coilpacks, spark plugs #4-5-6).

Does this mean that the E8x chassis can accept F8x M235i calipers front and back as well? I wonder how these brakes would compare to my BMW 135i stock Brembos (6-piston fronts and 2-piston rears). After three years of tracking my E82/135i, piston tops are chipped, and dust boots have disintegrated. Im due for a front caliper rebuild. I’ve been debating on whether I should do the RB stainless steel pistons swap and RB high temp blue dust boots, versus upgrading to an aftermarket BBK. I would certainly consider M235i calipers from a scrap/salvage yard as a replacement, if they fit, and they tolerate heat better than my stock 135i calipers...
Hey man You definitively should do the 1M strut brace: you will have better access to the damping adjustments. But be careful with the M3 ones: that's not the same attach point on the top of the engine bay! Maybe you can add the BMS filters too during the cowl modification.

Yep, the E8x can recieve the Fxx Mx35i calipers and disc without any adaptation: that is 100% plug'n'play. Combined with the PS Cup 2, it was one of the best mod of the car! Regarding to your case, I think you should rebuild them with the RB rebuild kit. You should add some good pads and good racing fluid too (I don't know wich one do you have) I recommend you the Pagid RS29 + Motul RBF600 combo or Endless MX72 + Motul RBF600 one. In addition, but some stainless steel brake lines.

I advise you to get the BMW Performance rotors too. With all of these little points, you will have a much better brake capacity. One of my friend, NTTY, has the first abovementioned combo with these discs. Super satisfied of it. In addition, I tested them and that's fantastic, more or less like the F2x combo!
The M135i / M235i calipers will fit, that is obvious but regarding to the heat dissipation, I really don’t know ... Remember, the more pistons you have, the better the dissipation will be. In addition, you should go to the F30 brakes backplates too (I will order them for the next upgrade sequence on my ride)
Speaking about my brakes now, I was reflecting of a two-pieces rotors kit, but for the M135i / M235i OEM kit, it’s quite impossible to find … I wanted to lower the weight of the system, but I’m quite depressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
excellent, let us know how you get on with the Cup2s, looking at those next time round
Thanks Tinsta You will find a short review in my next paragraphs!

Now, let’s speak about my Coupé a bit … I told you I went to times to my local racetrack. Thus, I had the opportunity to analyze how it was going.
The suspension, ST XTA, is really awesome! Remember they have the same hardware as the KW v2, linear spring + spring helper front and camber plates. What a good coilovers kit. I’m really impressed. I went with a friend in a KW v3 equipped 130i and a 135i with these coils and … That’s truly the same thing (or even better)! First time, I adjusted them to 6 front and 6 rear. Second time 4 front and 4 rear. It was going far better during the last session of tests. I will try to put 3-4 or 3-3 next time. I have no roll at all. The car is really planted. No parasite movement of the vehicle. I will try to put a bit more front camber too. I actually have -1°28’, I plan putting -1°50’ or -2°00.
The tires, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. The manufacturer recommend a pressure toward 2.3 and 2.5bars when hot. They have and incredible amount of grip. The only sideways I had was because I did not respect the correct trajectories all the time. I put more than 1.5G without any problem and regularly 1.4G on them. Even after 45 minutes of tracking, they still have grip contrary to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport I have for street driving which are losing the fight after 4 laps. The Cup 2 communicate a good review of the tarmac. I felt really confident with them. The braking forces are very well controlled too. In a few words, I really recommend them (regarding to their price).
The brakes… My sweet brakes Braking at the end of the straight line at 161km/h at 40 meters of a tight curve and passing it at more or less 40km/h … That’s really cool! In addition, with the MX72 pads, I do not have any fading any vibration or whatever. The enormous amount of force is transferred to the ground thanks to the PS Cup 2.
To sum up, the car is very well balanced. Perfect IMO. I drove in DTC mode which is night and day. First session, I did a best lap in 2’15” and regular in 2’16”. Second one, regular sessions in 2’14”, so, big improvement without any modification. The weather was too hot for me and even for the car: 35°C is too much … I still have a lot to learn especially with the new braking force I have: I cannot use it very well and I’m losing time (too much brake). In addition, I should let the car go outside the curves more naturally and not force it. With all of these little points and with 15°C less, I think I could run around the 2’10” something.

Then for the next steps… I mentioned I had the idea to sell it and to buy something else. I went in the wrong direction with this state of mind. I will continue with it during at least five years and will see after what will I do (100% tracktoy, clubsport, swap, etc …).
For the mods, I’m starting saving for a shorter final ratio (2.78 one of the 330d) and for a Quaife LSD. It will be an enormous budget, but I think by the end of the year I could manage. Then, I’m reflecting of a larger intercooler (a Wagner one) even if I have a 135i IC in my garage waiting for the fitment. I’m a bit frightened it won’t pass with the 120d fan, radiator and so on. Injectors of 35d and downpipe (not really sure about it because of the smoke at 70% of load) are good ideas too to reach the 28xhp/5x0Nm. With all of these bits and even less (250hp/520Nm, 2.78 without Quaife), a friend of mine is at the same level of a M135i till 200km/h (after the 6L goes and say goodbye) which is quite impressive for a little 2.0L. Maybe I will add an oil catch can, accusump, radiators, stretcher of transmission chain or some stuff like that in order to be more reliable, I still have to study it.
I still have the rear brakes to upgrade. As the M135i / M235i solution is impossible (without machining the hub and the disc at several points), I will probably buy a set of Geomet rotors and put Pagid RS29 pads (Endless are a bit too expensive, like … 450€ here in France). I’m looking to the Recaro Pole Position or SPG route in order to have better maintain too.

Let’s do some place now for some pics !

And here a YouTube link of me:

Thanks for reading me and keep tuned!

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #77
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Does this mean that the E8x chassis can accept F8x M235i calipers front and back as well? I wonder how these brakes would compare to my BMW 135i stock Brembos (6-piston fronts and 2-piston rears). After three years of tracking my E82/135i, piston tops are chipped, and dust boots have disintegrated. Im due for a front caliper rebuild. Ive been debating on whether I should do the RB stainless steel pistons swap and RB high temp blue dust boots, versus upgrading to an aftermarket BBK. I would certainly consider M235i calipers from a scrap/salvage yard as a replacement, if they fit, and they tolerate heat better than my stock 135i calipers...
Front is 100% direct fit like e90 335i calipers and rotors. Hint - look for unpainted Canadian F30 version of the calper to use with 340mm rotors 370mm rotors need a special version for the F30 caliper, from /M perf kit or tall version of Blue.
Rear = no, modification is needed to the Wheel carrier :O, look at e90post long threads

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2015, 02:11 AM   #78
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Hello you

And that too

Last edited by Fidiman; 10-08-2015 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #79
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
That fitment up front looks awesome with those tires!
      12-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #80
fknlewis
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 M Sport 120d

I have instantly fell in love with this thread, very good job on this.

And as a fairly new 120d E82 owner, very inspirational!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #81
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
That fitment up front looks awesome with those tires!
Yeah, love the setup with the OZ and PS Cup !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknlewis View Post
I have instantly fell in love with this thread, very good job on this.

And as a fairly new 120d E82 owner, very inspirational!
Thanks fknlewis ! Hope you will find some info here, if not, don't hesitate to contact me

So guys, some news there ... On one hand, I'm reflecting for the next stuff to do on my N47 and which stage to get. I tested the 120d of a friend of mine with 250hp/520Nm with a shorter final drive and ... It was amazing That's simple: it's as quick as or even quicker than a M135iXA ...
On the other hand, I recieved some new pieces for the E82 :

I decided to go to the lightest parts as possible, even if it was a bit mor expensive ... In addition, I bought sliders for the passenger too.

Ho, and my parents recieved something interesting ...

In addition, I had to buy some spacers for my winter wheels : the M Performance brakes are a bit too wide for the 207M wheels I'm using. Thus, I bought some ST/KW 12,5mm spacers. It should fit (I needed only 5mm more with 5mm spacers).

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #82
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
I saw that today in my garage ... Santa came earlier than expected!

Last edited by Fidiman; 12-26-2015 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #83
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Finally did something interesting on the car these days! Recaro Pole Position are in They are incredibly lighter compared to the stock seats.

The job was not difficult regarding to the serious works I did on the chassis of the car. The only issues I had was the adjustment of the different parts (eg Recaro sliders and Macht Schnell floor mounts).

Then I decided to do a road test. Even if the seats are slightly stiffer than the OEM ones, they maintain you correctly. I'm now focused on the road and I perfectly feel the reactions of the car.

Some pics for you now :

Last edited by Fidiman; 12-26-2015 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #84
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep

LOVE the seats!

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #85
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Thanks inFamousKicks !

Another one for the weekend :

Appreciate 0