BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

DIY: halogen headlight bulb replacement

I did a search and couldn't find this topic. I just lost the high beam (and DRL) on the drivers side. Yellow warning light on dash. Drivers side access to headlights are blocked by the air box (128 here-don't think 135's come with halogen). Now, while a talented BMW tech with small hands could perhaps do this with air box still installed, most of us donot have that talent.
1. remove engine air filter box; be careful removing small electrical connector on big round rubber hose at rear of box. NOTE: the position of the screw on the clamp for the big round rubber hose. Make sure you keep it in this position when re-tightening. When air box is out you'll see the big rubber hose has position/indentation where the screw and fitting goes.
2. with air box out, simply slide off 2 metal clips covering back of headlight. Clips sort of shaped liked this: [
3. remove wires/clip on back of headlight bulb (jiggle connector around & pull off)
4. un-hook metal clip holding in bulb; very difficult to see exactly how clip "clips". Just push it in and move to side
5. bulb H7 should just pop out; careful installing new bulb-DO NOT TOUCH GLASS.
6. hardest part of reassembly is getting round opening of air box into big rubber hose. Use a light to make sure you have it fully inserted. Remember to have screw head properly positioned on rubber hose.
7. NEVER test the bulb until air box fully installed AND ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR hooked up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Could you add some pics? It would help immensely.